The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ni No Kuni

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Ni No Kuni Reply with quote

Anyone? Just me?

I saw "Level 5" and Studio Ghibli and didn't read much further before buying. I'm an hour in and pretty impressed so far. The pacing is slow, but I have confidence it'll pick up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 5 hours in and I really like what I've seen so far.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the few games I've ever played where the visuals really blow my mind and add something to the game.

I'm not far enough in to have other party members. Right now I find the combat a little wonky, but it shows promise. I find the way that it sits between turn based and real time combat a little odd. I think I would have liked it to be full on real time. I don't know though. Maybe that'll change.

So far it's amazing though. There are so many little things that make me go, "Good idea" or "That's neat".

I'm consistently amazed by this game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy the visuals a lot as well. I agree the feel of the game is very nice so far, but the first several hours have quite a bit of tutorial which gets a bit old.

This game is making me wish some of my old favorite RPGs were re-mastered. God what I would do for an updated Grandia or Xenogears or Suikoden (1 and/or 2).
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the main quest last night, working on post-game and the platinum. I do feel a bit silly being 33 and playing this game, but I can't help but love it. Any game where the main character can constantly say "golly", "jeepers", "your meowjasty" and "your moojesty" with a straight face is alright in my book.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to get this, before all my game systems up and moved across the country with out me. But then, i'm a huge Miazaki fan.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got it last night....around 830....by 8 tonight I had 12+ hour played.
I can't put it down.....this game is AMAZING. The combat system, the cinema graphics, etc....it's all awesome.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way. There were so many good decisions made too. Small things, but nice things. Like how the "random" enemies will run away from you when you're way higher level.

I'm still playing. I've just got a lot going on, so it's kind of slow and steady.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same....work is keeping me from playing as much as I want to. I get home and want to play games and go "Eh...I'm going to just sit here until I need to sleep".

The game is amazing, I'm only a little into it, 40% or so, reached Hamelen and did the story, but I also do all the side quests/bounties as soon as they're available. Plus now I'm hunting certain familiars, some of which are hard to catch.

This is the most fun/enjoyment I've had from an RPG in YEARS! I really wish we had more games like this.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriend is out of town so I decided to finish this off. A+ game. Loved it from start to finish.

I did all but one side quest, but I didn't do any of the post-complete stuff, and didn't finish the arena.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a break from the game, because I found myself grinding to the point of burn out again (picking up new familiars and grinding levels for hours). I'm about to go to the island where the 3 'guardians' or whatever are. But I'm trying to grind out levels to get my new familiars up to speed and ready to go. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't get 2 new familiars for each character, 3 for Swaine. Gotta level them up, evolve, then relevel....and evolve and relevel....

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really grinded until the very last boss. If you're set on it, there's some island that's amazing for it. Search for "Toko" monsters. They give like 7k xp/kill. (25k in the final form).

I only found out because I thought there was a bug because I kept getting 29k xp in the last castle.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this game has its own version of metal slimed, except they are much easier to find and kill. Only sane way to grind if you are set on leveling all your familiars.

The post game is okay I guess. Not really a lot added to the story, but it has some high level fights if you just need a reason to keep playing. It is the kind of stuff I never would have bothered with before trophies, but actually had fun with when going after the trophies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: