The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new SimCity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asshats. Online DRM is the worst thing to happen to the gaming community since DRM.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the DRM crap is, in fact, crap.

That being said, this is rather familiar sequence:

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently the CEO of EA was just let go over the whole launch fiasco. I thought I'd add a few tidbits of fun. Here's Francis, of the Diablo III Error 37 fame: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VClRhU404

Also, apparently once you get above 5k population most of your residents are just phantom numbers that don't actually exist. Here's a reddit page where they discuss the population inflation:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a5pof/did_ea_lie_about_theoretical_population_sizes/
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely noticed some "fuzziness" with the population numbers. I hadn't gone to the trouble of determining exactly what was going on but they certainly didn't seem to match up exactly with what I was building versus what I was seeing as results in the game. I also noticed some odities with the "we need workers" complaints from industry. Specifically, increasing the population density by as much as 10,000 sims seemed to have little to no affect on the rate of complaints. Likewise, converting entire chunks of industrial zone into residential didn't have as much of an affect on the complaints as it seems it should have.

All that being said, I'm still enjoying the game. My only serious complaint at this point is that, because of the shitty fucking launch issues, my largest city is now surrounded by 3 others which have been completely abandoned. People created these cities when they couldn't get to their "home" server and just walked away from them once the server issues were resolved. I'm guessing that this exact same thing has repeated itself thousands of times throughout the game. Unfortunately, near as I can tell, there is no real solution out there for when you become the only person left actually playing one of the cities in the region.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Day9 while he was playing it and it really peaked my interest. I've never played any of the SimCity games but I loved the city planning and building aspects of games like Pharaoh. I found out about how they padded the population numbers due to a link someone posted on his channel after him and a friend had a competition on his live stream to see who could reach 100k population first. Even during those videos you can see several weird things with population numbers acting in an arbitrary manner that just don't seem to correspond in any way to the actions the player is taking. It still looks like a lot of fun and other than the population issues the only other actual gameplay complaint I've heard is that the AI always takes the absolute shortest route in the pathfinding routine, even if that route is completely congested and there is an alternate route that might be a little bit longer in terms of distance but has no traffic whatsoever clogging it up. The DRM was a stupid decision, but I think they've realized that now and are taking steps to correct it.

Server issues I can understand to some extent. You can plan for ball park figures off of preorder sales and whatnot but you'll never know for certain what your release night server load is going to be like. That's actually one of the things I'm curious to see implemented with ESO's single megaserver style. The other thing about servers is whether the company wants to risk investing in the extra server capacity when half of those servers might be completely empty 2 months after the initial release.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of what screwed them over on the initial launch was the way that they conducted their beta (which still makes no sense to me). They only allowed people to play for an hour at a time, didn't test any of the region aspects of the game, severly limited a number of other options, and only did a closed beta. It seems fairly obvious that such decisions would result in a rather useless beta test.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny that one of the games offered for free download to Sim City users is Sim City 4: Deluxe Edition.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I found that pretty funny too.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It beats what PSO offered after the month long shutdown.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: