The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th Edition D&D?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning on getting together with some friends for some DnD during my next break from Africa.

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little unsure when Tim said he was going to be axing the story for CAD and starting a different path with it. I understood his reasons when he explained them but I was a little leery of how it would turn out. I have not been disappointed so far.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also, the 5th edition rules are in Playtest at the moment. You should give those a try.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been presently surprised. I had actually felt as though the comic had started to disappoint on a pretty regular basis up until he made the change.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeflonJon wrote:
Oh also, the 5th edition rules are in Playtest at the moment. You should give those a try.

I think we might actually end up with 3rd edition, have to see what the DM is planning on doing.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy all of them. The playtest is what many people feel like 4th Ed should have been, so it's actually fairly similar to what Pathfinder became. Speaking of which, I'm not sure how many of you guys remember Marshall from the carrier, but he has a Pathfinder campaign setting published. I still need to read through the rest of the book but I like what I've read so far.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeflonJon wrote:

I feel like maybe this is something I should know, but what exactly is "playtest". Does that mean that "beta" books are available in their entirety for "testing" the new system?
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sign up for it here: http://dndplaytest.wizards.com/

It's a packet of .pdf files describing all the different character races, classes, feats, and what not and also includes an adventure to run through. The latest packet also has a conversion kit for the D&D Encounters story if people want to run through it with the new version rather than 4th Ed. A few weeks after each packet comes out they send out an email with a survey asking for feedback from the players.

I love what they are doing because you had so many people who would only play one system. I knew people on the ship who would only play 2nd Ed and hated 3rd. I know people who think 4th is too much like playing WoW. Wizards wanted to release a system that would blend the elements that people loved from each edition and what they've come up with is pretty good in my opinion. This is basically a core set system and then there will be modules released at later dates that individual groups can either include or ignore. I think the only way they could successfully accomplish what they wanted to do without alienating their playerbase even further would be to include everyone on the design by way of these surveys.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be D&D / Pen-n-Paper Month for web comics:

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm really digging the Next changes for D&D. They bring a combination of 4th editions "heroic feel" without the need to limit the imagination (?) of what the players can do with their characters.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with an idea for a character last night that I want to try. Somewhat of the addlebrained, doddering, old mage archetype. He was a high level wizard who through "insert random crazy hijinks here" accidentally used a wish spell that reverted him back to the knowledge of his youth. So basically on most days, he doesn't know any more than your average level 1 caster. Every once in a while he has a briefly lucid moment and remembers who he actually is. The primary side effect of this being that he has a spellbook full of spells that he can't read (because he can't remember his personal cipher that he coded them with) and a belt full of wands that he doesn't remember what they do and he's just crazy enough to try them randomly in combat to sort them all out. I like the mental picture of him thinking he's casting Knock to open up a chest and instead dropping a fireball on it. Or using a wand of identify on an orc that's barreling down on him. Yay for wild mages.

Still trying to work out the details of his background as far as exactly how it happened. I'm thinking that he was randomly musing about how"most days I just wish I could go back to the simplicity of my young adventuring days". Maybe I'll just say it happened one night while he was drunk. Now I just need to find a DM that will let me play him.

For the moment going with Human Wizard in the Scholastic Tradition. He'll likely be about mid-50's as far as age. Not sure on feat choices yet, but I'll probably go with the more metamagic feat choices. As for skills, I went with the Sage background so he's Knowledge skills all the way. I think that's generic enough that posting it won't violate the playtest agreement. I've certainly seen more in depth discussions on the forums.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That somewhat reminds me of Darvin (Manuello), an similarly addle-brained mage that Glistam played in one of our games onboard. He had to pull out his stack of 3x5 note cards to cast a spell.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Zifnab.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Zifnab and his anagram Fizban from Dragonlance weren't the original inspiration, I definitely made the mental comparison after I had somewhat fleshed out the idea.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to play my doddering old Gnome wizard again.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a podcast (3 episodes total) of Scott Kurtz from PvP Online playing through the Mines of Madness campaign that was written for D&DNext and debuted at PAX East. Also, do we need to think about making a separate topic for Next? Or just lump all the D&D stuff into a single thread?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pod/20130401
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still aren't reading Table Titans, you are really missing out.

Read this and the two pages that follow it: http://www.tabletitans.com/comic/first-encounters-page-33
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Scott's next comic is going to be the blink dog making the opportunity attack that Garrett just incurred by using a ranged ability in melee combat.

Side note, the Encounters group I just joined is like the exact opposite of the group I DM'd for back in Charlotte. Where that group was ultra power gamers with min-maxed characters, these guys have only a minimal grasp of the rules. Most of the players are newbies with their first characters and I'm pretty sure that the DM has never been behind the screen before this campaign. It's a very refreshing change.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I approve! http://cdn.tabletitans.com/img/comic/season01/titansa1036.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: