The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dark Souls
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to playing and beating this pain in the ass. I thought it was kinda overrated and boring. If there is a story, I completely missed it. I felt basically like it told me the controls (which I hate) and let me go.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this game is definitely overrated having just picked it up on Steam Sale. It's certainly good and challenging in some good ways (although unnecessarily tedious to create "artificial challenge" in some other ways) but I think I feel much more critical of Dark Souls because of how highly it's praised in the gaming community, and I just feel it doesn't live up to that hype.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are crazy. This is one of my favorite games ever made.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my main issues with this game:

- Long run-backs to boss fights filled with respawned enemies is unnecessarily tedious and creates "artificial difficulty." The run-backs aren't hard by any means, but it's basically like this long, 5-10min unskippable cutscene every time you wipe to a boss (which is intended to be several times in this game). The boss fights are hard in their own right, why do something like this which is just irritating? Challenge is great, tedium is not.

- Hit boxes are really awkward and get changed / warped by the lock-target function. I can pretty consistently backstab someone when not locked on, but when I am locked on it is extremely difficult to reproduce in most cases; this is annoying since the camera is all over the place if you aren't locked, and it's also more difficult to dodge attacks.

- Bugs with environment / clipping that can cause progress loss are always frustrating, but in a game like this which prides itself on making you want to punch it in the face, they're borderline infuriating. Backstabbing someone having the animation cause me to clip through the floor and fall infinitely (which forced me to restart and lose a lot of progress) was almost enough to make me just quit playing altogether.

Some more minor complaints:

- The UI is absolutely horrendously bad. Seriously the worst UI ever, Skyrim's default UI (lol) is better and that is saying something.

- On the PC version you're forced to use GFWL, wow was that annoying, it took me over an hour to download crap, make accounts, login, logout, verify my email, etc. just to get started on a game I already had installed.

- Sometimes your biggest enemy is the camera, on one of the earlier bosses (Capra Demon) you fight in a very tight space, which makes the camera do super weird things at times, making it difficult to see anything and got me killed more than once.

I'm still playing, and trying to make myself like this game, but there are certainly a lot of flaws that I have to look past in order to do that.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't heard many good things about the PC version, so I can't speak to that. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two of the best controlling games on PS3 in my opinion. The games have a very immersive atmosphere to me that tells a story without cutscenes. These games brought back a feeling I can't remember having since the original Zelda.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a story? I thought I was just suppose to run around until I can find something that doesn't kill me in two hits. I felt like the controls were terrible. There has to be a better scheme they could have used. I lost count of how many times the controls screwed me over. There were multiple times a boss or enemy COMPLETELY whiffed me and I still got killed. Then I'd have to run through half a stage just to get back to the boss to die of BULLSHIT, not difficulty. I played on PS3.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess our boxes of Dark Souls came with different games. Smile I never felt a death was cheap or not my fault in either Souls game, with the one exception on the bridges in Blighttown.

Must be a preference thing, but I would kill for an open-world RPG that had the controls of Souls. I guess it's one of those love or hate types of games. Funny thing is I first thought I would hate it. I even did my first day with Demon's Souls and put it away for a month before even getting past the first world. I came back and the game just clicked for me and I fell in love with it.

As far as story, it's there, but only if you're looking for it. I didn't pay much attention my first go around, but after I went back and discussed it on forums. Everything is explained in enviromental details, or by being at the right places at the right times. NPCs do their own things regardless of player, so you can easily miss certain events such as one NPC killing another, simply by not being around when it happens.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The atmosphere is really well done, so are the NPCs, can't disagree with that. The creepy laugh everyone does is so unsettling. Just got through Blighttown and beat Quelaag, ugh I hated Blighttown, that place just irks me, everything there is so disturbing, same with the sewers beforehand.

Seriously though, Capra Demon is the cheapest thing of all time ever, everything else is pretty reasonable, but Capra Demon is just dumb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: