The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazon Fire TV - Congratz to Lotan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Amazon Fire TV - Congratz to Lotan Reply with quote

Lotan, I saw your Facebook post.

"Amazon launches Fire TV, an Android-powered streaming and gaming set-top box for $99"
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazon-announces-android-powered-streaming-stick/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/fire-tv-gamepad-hands-on/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/amazons-fire-tv-hands-on/

Do the games have to be specially ported to the Fire TV? Will any game in the Amazon app store work?
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A: Thanks. Out of all the projects I've worked on here, this is probably the one I'm the most proud of. My team handled most of the game playing support on the device. My team = Me and another dude most of the time. Sometimes there were three of us. Most of the work happened in about a 2 month span where I barely saw the outside world. I'm glad to be on the other side of that now, but also pretty proud of it.

B: Specifically ported? No, I don't think so. I don't know exactly what the ingestion process is for apps. Mostly it just needs to support a controller. It's pretty easy. I believe the device even supports a 360 controller via usb(Don't quote me on that)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/220pbh/amazon_fire_tv_officially_announced/cgibsvq

I'm glad they advertised it the way they did. I was concerned they were going to sell it as a game console, and I think pitting it against something like the Xbox one is just a terrible idea. Against a Roku or Apple TV? Sure.

It's a pretty fun casual gamer device. My girlfriend and I played "You don't know Jack" on it for a few hours the other night and some Rayman and had a really good time. She really liked it.

I bought one for my nephews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking if you created a Wiimote type remote control then any game would work if you could redirect the 'touches' via the Wiimote type remote.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partly critical review from The Associated Press.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/review-fire-tv-device-great-but-not-fully-ready/2014/04/03/80158f5c-bb60-11e3-80de-2ff8801f27af_story.html
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I've seen a few. It's mostly been pretty positive, and my piece (Games) being more of a add on bonus than the main selling point puts me in a pretty good position. The controller add on is already sold out(Shipping April 24th now), so it seems someone is enthused enough to have bought one.

I can honestly say that I think, from my side, we've developed a better product than the Ouya, and it'll only get better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the link currently but I read that someone was able to root the Fire TV already.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines been rooted for months!
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about this on another msg board. The Fire TV will work with the Ouya controller and other BT gamepads? You do not have to buy the Fire TV controller?
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much any standard BT controller I think. It also works with a wired 360 controller.

The bomb squad dude seems to have gotten 12 player running on it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/22xxev/12_player_bombsquad_on_firetv/
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much decided to get one. I gave my Roku to my parents. I'll probably order the Fire TV tomorrow.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what you hate. I don't have a say in anything not related to games, but I can probably pass the feedback along.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: