The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honor and Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> WoW - World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Honor and Rankings Reply with quote

This makes me glad I'm not the least bit interested in PvP.  It looks like you have to be not just a power gamer, but a hardcore power gamer to attain any amount of rank (and thus, rewards) from PvP.  Oh, and if  you receive a reward for a particular rank and then lose that minimum rank on the next maintenance day, you lose the reward.

Pardon my French, but that is seriously fucked up.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I say, very little of value comes from the Official Forums. I'm not gonna let myself get spun up 'cuz some 'tard on the WoW boards whined again.

Thus far, I haven't seen any issues with the Honor System. It's keeping track of my (low number of) kills just fine (only 32) and while I haven't yet gained a rank, nothing changed during the maintenance.

Ignore the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only at 117 Kills and I have Private Rank.
Navillus
Squatter
Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that you loose the rank or your reward.  I do think that it becomes all the harder to catch up with the curve and achieve your next rank.  Hopefully this is the case so that if you put in time now then you will have to kill less (theoretically) then you would later on to achieve rank.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's based on a ladder-type system.  

The Official Website explains how the system works.  I'm amazed at how few people have actually read it (I've read it and I don't PvP).  The third to last paragraph explains that you can lose the ability to use a reward item you've purchased (why call it a reward if you have to buy it?) if you lose the minimum rank necessary to equip it.

Think of it as half a Bell Curve.  Inverted sorta.  LOTS of peons, only a few targets...  eh...  officers.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Navillus
Squatter
Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just completely deflated any hope I had with my part time PvPing.  Looks like it is back to questing, leveling and visiting every part of Azeroth.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help.  <hates PvP>
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not all too bad IMHO. Yes you can lose you rank, but very slowly. If I remember correctly I remember reading a Blue response to a thread stating it would literally take weeks of not playing to lose any significant amount of honor.  And you really don't have to play tons and tons to get up there. What gets you up in the ranks is the Contribution points. I have 1700+ kills from the first week of honor, but I only recieved about 9k Contribution points ( was always zerging at TM ). Whereas if you just pvp'ed by yourself while farming or whatever you'd get a ton more contribution points. Someone on my server racked up 7k cont. points from about 90 kills.  

Granted yes it'll still take lots and lots of playtime to get really high up in the rank, but did you expect it to be easy?
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering how easy it is to level up normal experience....
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Navillus
Squatter
Squatter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they made the PvP more difficult because it is so easy to raise your normal level.  Also, I have a bit of confusion regarding the system.  I believed that you could only get honorable kills and contribution points from killing PC.  However, in a response from the Honor System development team, it seemed like on Normal servers, the town guards count too.
Ijin
Migrant
Migrant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLIANCE ZERGER!
Navillus
Squatter
Squatter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out the answer to my question in the new FAQ.  It is only if you kill the appointed leader of the Horde or Alliance, like Thrall, that you gain contribution points.  I would guess there is one for each city, but maybe a place like Iron Forge had two with King Bronzebeard and the King of Gnomes.  Also on Uther server, the Horde usually responds well enough so that Zerging is really an accurate description for us.  While Zerging usually describes the initial attack, the Horde has better tactics and usually forces the Alliance to attack with a semblance of formation, usually around coordinated rally points.  Even with tactics and reinforcements, the battles are usually little more then pushing matches between Southshore and Tarren Mill or Crossroads and Ratchet.  The introduction of Battlegrounds will be their real proving ground, and unfortunately I feel the Alliance will be ill prepared.  We now found out on our server that the Horde has been practicing for the last 5 months with tactics and a loose command structure.  While the Alliance has some amazing individual players (and apparently some of the richest on any sever) we lack any cohesive organization.   Of course this could all change if our sides two major guilds have been suspiciously quite on PvP for a reason.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> WoW - World of Warcraft All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: