The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Wii Sports really look this crappy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Does Wii Sports really look this crappy? Reply with quote

http://wii.ign.com/objects/826/826987.html

Look at the screen shots. It is goofy cartoon 3d characters.
The graphics look like they are from arati jaguar or something.

I thought it would have looked decent.

Richelle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sports game, so who cares? :P Also, it kind of reminds me of this crappy 90's-looking animation I see on my local news channel every morning... ~_~;

63BRD/40WHM - ZM5, CoP2-5, ToAU20, Bastok6-1
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to consider:

1> The Wii is more or less a suped up Gamecube.

2> the game may have been rushed just a tiny bit to make launch. God help them if they did that to Zelda
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the look of it is suppose to add to the entertainment. Afterall, I heard that you can put your face on the characters somehow. Also, I think that game is meant for you to get a handle on how the Wiimote works.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's widespread complaint/acknowledgement that the Wii does not have "next generation" graphics. It doesn't support HDVD or Blu-Ray, it just isn't going that direction.

Nintendo has zagged when everyone else zigged. They did something different, and innovative, and they're relying on gameplay to make up for the lack of multimedia which I think is the correct approach.

I don't have any of the next gen consoles, but the Wii has generated the most interest in me. I hope it turns out well.

Oh, and I don't think it looks that bad. It's intentionally cartoony, and that's cool with me.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mishlai wrote:
There's widespread complaint/acknowledgement that the Wii does not have "next generation" graphics. It doesn't support HDVD or Blu-Ray, it just isn't going that direction.

Nintendo has zagged when everyone else zigged. They did something different, and innovative, and they're relying on gameplay to make up for the lack of multimedia which I think is the correct approach.

I don't have any of the next gen consoles, but the Wii has generated the most interest in me. I hope it turns out well.

Oh, and I don't think it looks that bad. It's intentionally cartoony, and that's cool with me.

I agree 100%. Nintendo's innovative approach with the Wii, coupled with its affordable price makes it the only next-gen console I'll be getting for a while; at least until FFXIII is out.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was yesterday's penny-arcade that talked about the graphics for zelda being pretty bad. But they also said that everything else in the game rocks so hard that you completely forget about the graphics.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read that the wii sports as a package was intended to get other people to play. Other meaning non-traditional gamers. Half of point of the simple graphics is to be non-intemidating.

Look at the characters, look at the HUD. It's all simple. Would your mom sit down and try MLB Major League 2007? Probably not. Would she try hitting a homer in Wii sports? Maybe.

I think the simple answer is that it wasn't designed for us.

The other thing is that you can design your character(Through "Mii"), and store it inside the remote control's internal memory. They plan on making "Mii" games, so your character stays with you.

/fanboy off

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
Nintendo's innovative approach with the Wii, coupled with its affordable price makes it the only next-gen console I'll be getting for a while

I echo that sentiment. The graphics are good enough for me, because I'm looking for more in a game than just the shiniest graphics.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which I think is the correct approach.

A-F**king-Men! I have to censor myself as I'm at work. If you haven't rebelled by 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't gone Establishment by 30, you got no brains.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the wii sports avatar idea. it is a neat customization, and it means that i don't have to choose from one of the four stupid monkeys, like i have to right now(most of my sports are played on monkey ball)
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I don't get why some of the people here hate sports games so much. Some of the most fun I've had gaming over the past year or so has been playing Tiger Woods with a bunch of friends.

I agree that the major sports games (football, basket ball, baseball) are played out due to it being the same thing year after year. At the same time though games like Tiger Woods and Tony Hawk that actually require skill can be a ton of fun when played in multi-player.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
I agree that the major sports games (football, basket ball, baseball) are played out due to it being the same thing year after year. At the same time though games like Tiger Woods and Tony Hawk that actually require skill can be a ton of fun when played in multi-player.

Funny thing is, Madden is consistently the top selling game, year after year. It beats out 2nd place by a significant margin.

As for other sports games, I've never played Tiger Woods, but I love the Tony Hawk series, it's just so much fun.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate sports games for much the same reason I hate sports. Appallingly dull, unimaginative, tedious and irrepressibly drab and awful. It's just a personal taste thing, nothing to get.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like sports games because of what has been stated. That includes Tony Hawk. I liked the first one because it was something new and simple. After the first one it has pretty much been the same thing over and over. All that's new is the characters and places.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo... it turns out i won't be getting to try this wii sports thing any time soon after all... rare, the company who produces all the games for the old nintendos that i would like to download, was bought by microsoft about the time the xbox came out. i found out today that their games are their own, and as such, won't be coming out on the wii, regardless of the fact that they were originally n64 games. they might be coming out on xbox360, though, so i bought one of those today. and viva piniata! its amusing so far. you have to grow a garden to attract wild piniatas. also, for when the kids are in bed, i have gears of war.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never liked sports games. I'm not sure what it is exactly - maybe they just don't capture my imagination.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Richelle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
Mishlai wrote:

I agree 100%. Nintendo's innovative approach with the Wii, coupled with its affordable price makes it the only next-gen console I'll be getting for a while; at least until FFXIII is out.

and
Mishlai wrote:
Never liked sports games. I'm not sure what it is exactly - maybe they just don't capture my imagination.

You both said exactly what I was thinking. T-T

63BRD/40WHM - ZM5, CoP2-5, ToAU20, Bastok6-1
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immyls wrote:
sooo... it turns out i won't be getting to try this wii sports thing any time soon after all... rare, the company who produces all the games for the old nintendos that i would like to download, was bought by microsoft about the time the xbox came out. i found out today that their games are their own, and as such, won't be coming out on the wii, regardless of the fact that they were originally n64 games. they might be coming out on xbox360, though, so i bought one of those today. and viva piniata! its amusing so far. you have to grow a garden to attract wild piniatas. also, for when the kids are in bed, i have gears of war.

I knew Rare was with Microsoft now, but if that's true, that REALLY sucks. Goldeneye was definitely at the top of my "old games to get on Wii" list, and it's a Rare title. Eh...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: