The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

v1.5 Live!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> WoW - World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: v1.5 Live! Reply with quote

Version 1.5 is out! Battlegrounds are active, yay!
Navillus
Squatter
Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try it tonight.  Also Haven, it looks like the Warlocks now get soul shards for Honorable Kills.  That and a list of about 16 other items for the Warlock class.  Very cool to see the Inferno gets to be around for 5 min too.  I just like seeing those things on a battlefield.  Heck we even got pet recognition in Battle Grounds because Hunter and Warlock pets now are resurrected with you from a Spirit Guide.  This is very exciting.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... too bad all the other Bloodsabre Pirates up and quit. Only 4 of us, now. (Obs, Garnette, Prodigal, and me.)
Garnette
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yayyy Battlegrounds.....

Tried the Warsong Gulch one many times on Test server and it was very fun... especially as my Warrior....  until the horde seemed to disappear. If there weren't enough people it would boot you out of the area.

I hope they fixed the bugs. Razz

And hopefully sometime soon I'll actually beable to download the patch and freaking play!

Fyona
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see Prodigal still playing!  I hope we don't lose her.  Be sure to keep pointer her towards the forums.

I'm sorry that I'm not there anymore.  I can't bring myself to reactivate just yet.  I have even re-cancelled my CoH account due to lack of interest.  At least Guild Wars is free and I don't have to worry so much about wasted money.

If I think they have fixed WoW enough, I'll be back I'm sure.  Catyana may slip from the shadows and put her daggers in the back of some unsuspecting troll then.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Garnette
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yayy.. got patched .... and copied it to disk and patched it on my hubby's computer. I'm such a good honey. Razz

See you online a bit later... bah, errands to do.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to DL the patch and give it a go (just to see how they "fixed" hunter pets).
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *still* don't know what you two are bitching about... (Mongo and Mojo, that is) All the bugs we encountered while I was around were pretty minor.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the big bug i kept encountering was this huge lag.  like, six hours of lag.  by the time i would load up, every body else was already going to bed.

<<over shoulder>>
what?  oh, that wasn't lag?  time zone you say?  what's that?
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would like to state that I have no complaints about bugs in this game, save the lag issues after that horrid horrid patch day.  The thing I do have a problem with is the lack of balance (which I would expect from an early game) and the continuous unbalancing of the game as the patching goes along.

Not once did I mention the bugs, or relative lack thereof, in World of Warcraft.  All I had a problem with is the unnecessary nerfs to classed that had absolutely no need to be nerfed.  I believe the classes were more balanced when the game was released than what they are now.  Blizzard seems to be making an effort to unphuque themselves, which is more than some games would.  I applaud them for that, but the game is still heading in the wrong direction due to the "nerf those guys" people.  It forces Blizzard to spend more resources on imagined imbalances based on the limited experiments usually in a 1 vs. 1 status (even though they claim they don't take that info).

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, other than the Pally nerf (which was more of a bug fix, though it did lessen Pally power) I have no idea what you mean.

I'm not throwing poo at you, just confused.

And all 1.5 did was boost various people. The only change I'm unhappy with is the one to wands, which (at least for an already uber warlock) is overpowered, flat out.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't recall the overall Stealth nerf that happened the same time the Hunter's Track Hidden skill was boosted?  Or the Warrior "buff" that did nothing for him at all?  Or the druids initial nerf to his animal forms before the revamp?  The overall nerf/balance of the crowd control spells which basically negated the whole purpose of them?

I'm not going to claim to know the right way to fix the game, because I don't know.  I think they (and all games that deal with balance this way) are going the wrong direction.  They need to ensure the balance they are trying to receive is actually balancing when played by the player-base.  The stuff on the Test Server is already decided on and usually is just checked for bugs.  All their analysis is done via in-house testing and not with the majority of the player-base as it should be.

Quit spitting out useless patches and calling them content patches when all they do is just nerf class X, Y and Z, buff power N, and fix bugs.  They need to continue fixing and patching for bugs, but don't put out "balancing" fixes until they truly are balanced.  Putting out new "content" is good, but if you are continuing a process of "FotM" then the balance will never occur.

I honestly think the classes were more balanced at release than they are now, save for the warriors finally getting their Rage generation fixed.

Quote:

Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the CC change as a 'nerf'... yeah, it lowered the power, but it was needed. And I play a class strongly dependant on CC spells. Diminishing returns just keeps it kinda fair in PvP, and I *still pwned* a warrior 7 levels my senior.

I don't have a lot of experience with stealth, so I can't comment there.

I dunno, I think you're making mountains out of pimples because you want to resist coming back to play. <grin>

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. Don't confuse Blizz with SOE... it's not at all the same thing.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I think could have been done instead of dimishing returns for crowd control is improved resistance to said spells.  The duration will remain as long as normal, but the resistance to those spells would increase each attempt.

For Example:  Normally I would be 10% resistant, 90% chance of spell working.  After the first instance, the resistance is boosted another 20% until we get to 90% resistant.  That way, there is still a chance of your crowd control spell/power to affect the target.  This way, you can still try to get them in hopes of it working the 7th time.  As it is now, after 3-4 goes... don't use the spell anymore.

I agree that we will have to agree to disagree since we can't agree on what to agree with, agreed?

Quote:

Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine.  I'll creep back into this one.

Bugfixes.  Every game I've played so far, bug fixes are patched in in small increments in between content patches.  Not WoW.

When an exploit is discovered, they put out a message in the forums (that 90% of their players don't visit) that that area is illegal and is bannable.  What kind of dumbassery is that?  Is it difficult to put in a rock over the entrance (add some story to if you feel it justifies it).  They are basically blaming the players for their creativity.  Yes, I've made my way to the airfield East of Ironforge.  Should I be banned?  Blizzard's rules say "Yes".  Moronic.  

Skipping content.  During the debacle of using a rogue (stealthing past everything but the boss in an instance) and a warlock (starting a summon of the rogue just before the rogue pulls the boss, thus pulling the boss back to the entrance and skipping all the mobs up to him), they were banning people for using the system that the developers built!!!  Oh, and they were getting banned for it!  I don't know any other game companies that would blame the players for their developers mistakes.  Yes, I know a developer can't anticipate every player's actions.  That's fine.  When an exploit like that is discovered, bring in the devs, make a fix and put it out that day.  Don't blame the players.  

Sometimes (no I don't remember specifics), when they put out a patch, bugs that were previously fixed are reinserted into the Matrix...  eh...  the Game.  I would absolutely HATE to work for their QA division...  It must be a nightmare.

Patches that are put onto the test server must just be there as a preview and nothing more.  Bugs that are "class-breaking" don't get fixed.  Only trivial things (like someone's arm passes through their cloak when it shouldn't) get fixed.  

At first I got pissed when Mojo said they listen to their customers.  Then I read the next line and agreed wholeheartedly.  

I didn't want to get worked up all over again over WoW, but I guess it just happens.  

Did I experience many bugs while playing?  No.  (a few pet talents didn't work like they were advertised (increasing pet HP actually lowered it).

I also got fed up with the canned responses you receive while attempting a petition.  Sometimes you'd /petition and immediately receive an email (not in game) (before you even log out) that states you weren't contactable online.  Then the email goes on to tell you to do the standard stuff (remove this folder, that folder, remove customizations, whatever) when it has absolutely nothing to do with customizations (like mail disappearing or some such).  I can understand making that sort of thing a signature or part of the standard form at the end of a correspondence (in addition to some relavent suggestion.  Oftentimes, they would never go beyond that.  They seem to have confused bug reports with petitions.  And if you don't add anything to it after 4 or 5 days, they just delete the ticket.  

Ok.  I'm done.  I haven't logged on since v1.4 and now I'm considering not doing it at all having revisited all the bad memories from WoW.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to say that WoW is a bad game.  Contrarily (is that a word) it is one of the better games out there.  I just think it's going downhill with the developers more interested in changing the Lightforge Helmet and Battlegrounds, than trying to fix the balance between characters that makes the Battlegrounds exist.

Quote:

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to point out that there is a good article on the problems with battlegrounds at http://www.penny-arcade.com for June 8th.  It's informative, and proves yet again that the nice guys finish (start) last.

I don't play, but I'm rooting for the horde anyway.  I'm just that kind of guy.

You'll have to scroll way down, Tycho couldn't see to stop posting today.  It's titled - get this - "Battlegrounds"

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> WoW - World of Warcraft All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: