The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robotech Experts Needed (Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Robotech Experts Needed (Spoilers) Reply with quote

I was in Best Buy on Monday and I saw that big 'ol Robotech collection for $50 so I picked it up (msrp is like $120). I had watched episodes here and there as a kid, and I always thought it was cool, but I could never quite follow it.

As it turns out, the original series took three completely different anime (although they looked similar being from the same company), rewrote the dialog, and edited them in order to meet the daily US syndication requirements back then.

Right now, I'm 60ish episodes in and I'm quite impressed by the job they did and I actually like the story (although people's reactions to genocide are rather nonchalant). However, I would like to know what the original animes were about. I know that Macross was very similar (in fact, I have a hard time figuring out what exactly they altered), but I would really like to figure out what exactly the other two were about. Their wiki pages were pretty vague.

If anyone can help, by all means post away.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the original Japanese animes. There certainly is a lot going on in the show, so I'll try to keep it simple.

Macross was basically the story of how the SDF-1 crashed on Earth, the discovery of Robotechnology and Protoculture(of which the SDF-1 is the very last place in the universe to have some, hence everyone wanting it), and Earth's initial encounters and subsequent conflicts with the Zentraedi(giant male clones) and Meltrandi(giant female clones), though in the series they were still collectively called the Zentraedi Army. SDF-1 space folds well beyond the solar system's rim during a test. When the folks finally get back home a couple years later(the space fold engines disappeared after they jumped out of hyperspace), Earth decides to forbid them all from staying on Earth any longer and forces them to live in space. Anyway, there's a big war over protoculture and general xenophobia.

The Masters(second series) created the Zentraedi and Meltrandi, and hence the human race, who are descended from them, and they try to capture the protoculture as well. More big war.

The New Generation(third series) was about how the Invid invade Earth and enslave the human race for the same reason: protoculture. Biggest war of all, eventually against Earth's own Expeditionary force, who thinks that ending all life on earth is the only way to break Invid control. Some of the Invid ally with the humans to stop them.

The fourth series was sort of a spinoff that ran out of money after only three episodes(mostly unfinished...I think they released a feature length film with what was done), and never aired on tv(though I have the unfinished episodes and they were pretty neat, if a bit confusing since the timelines are all over the place). It took place during the second and third series, and focussed on Rick and Lisa and Dana and the kids of some other main characters.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the wikipedia articles, and I don't think there's anything I know that isn't listed there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Dimension_Cavalry_Southern_Cross

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSPEADA

I can direct you to a place where you'd be likely to get better answers:
http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=8b83226d72a2d892e15d26fcf5778140

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glistam, thank you mucho much. I found some of my burning questions in one of the forums.

Crush, I appreciate yo efforts, but I'm up on what Robotech is all about. I was asking about the original Japanese versions and how they differed.

Right now, I'm slowly getting through the new generation. I think I'm in a rare breed for liking the second part better than the third. I just don't like the lone wolf / mag 11 as it applies to Robotech. I'm more into robot armies and space battles.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They hardly differ at all according to the mangas and books. But the site I posted is the official Robotech resource, and contains all the info for both versions.

*By the way, the books are the way to go. They dwarf the animation in awesome, and are much more violent and mature.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And are also no longer cannon.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the mangas are definitely canon. And so are the books according to the fanbase. Think of it this way: There's Lucas canon and there's Star Wars canon. Which would you choose? Besides, nothing really happens in the books that doesn't happen in the anime.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Oh, the mangas are definitely canon. And so are the books according to the fanbase.

The fanbase doesn't decide cannon. They only decide what they like.
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Think of it this way: There's Lucas canon and there's Star Wars canon. Which would you choose?

Lucas cannon is Star Wars cannon. I choose neither and prefer the original versions, which are NON-cannon.
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Besides, nothing really happens in the books that doesn't happen in the anime.

Except for the Sentinels. And all the sequel books after that up to and including End of the Circle. And the minor inconsistencies that the books had when compared to the original series.

As Harmony Gold makes the Shadow Chronicles and moves the Robotech story forward, none of that stuff will be considered. No-one's stopping you from continuing to like them. But what happens in them stays in them. As of Shadow Chronicles, the books and manga series are no better than fanfics. If they don't contradict the show, then they can be considered cannon by the fans, but the creators of future works are under no obligation to respect those sources as they continue the story.

Here's the word from Harmony Gold on the Robotech website regarding this:
Quote:
Q: I heard rumors that everything published up until now had been axed from the Robotech universe! What part of continuity is left?
A: Such alarmist rumors are not true. Though debates over what is "canon" can indeed be lively, they can also be divisive among fans.

Since most detail-oriented science fiction fans express the need for a thorough frame of reference, our current approach is that the Robotech television series itself constitutes core continuity and all subsequent material (including the Sentinels) represents secondary continuity. All future works are built upon the core continuity presented by the original series, which can also be supplemented by material from secondary sources where it supports the storyline of the television episodes. Where conflicts arise, congruity with events of the television episodes is favored. This is similar to the approach used by other licensed science-fiction universes, such as Star Wars.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Lucas canon is official, whereas Star Wars canon is unofficial and much, much better.

By the by, a cannon is a mechanism that propels a round over great distances at high speeds.

Since the Sentinels was never completed and officially released, it doesn't count.

So let's draw the debate a bit deeper. It seems you consider the anime(in any form) to be official canon. What about all those movies? They diverge quite drastically. And the Shadow Chronicles takes place in the universe of the movies, not the series. The point is, it is ALL canon. The books, the movies, everything. Just divergent storylines within the same subject matter. Just as all Timothy Zahn and other authors' Star Wars novels and material is canon, as it must bear the Lucas license to be created and distributed. It may not follow the official Lucas storyline, but it is as official as anything can be. If you own or lease the license, it is by default approved by the original creators. That's why you have to be very careful who you sell your license to.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about all this canon fodder (wow, another bad pun). However, has anyone heard about the Robotech live action movie in development?

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/category/robotech-2009-movie/

Spiderman better not cast himself as Rick Hunter. If he does, I'm rioting.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have. And yes, I would riot. Speaking of which, who do you think would make a good Hunter? Or Hayes, for that matter? Or Lancer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Anime All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: