The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I hate keyboard controls ><

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> WoW - World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: I hate keyboard controls >< Reply with quote

Anyone know if you can get a controller compatible with this game? I installed the trial version, but honestly couldn't get into it. Not because of the game itself, but I despise using keyboard controls, I've never been good at it. I usually avoid computer games because of this, but I would like to play this one if I can find another way to move about.

Any help would be appreciated. If I can't find a controller, I guess I'm done with WoW already. lol

edit: And the mouse doesn't help either, I can't get comfortable with that either.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there very well may be some kind of mod that supports a game pad or FFXI macro palette style operation for you, I was unable to find anything. However, some of the members here might have a better idea seeing as how I can barely understand macros/mods as it is.

I'm leaning towards a game pad being insufficient for this game given the sheer number of abilities/spells/etc. each job has. I did however find a few gadgets that might be what you're looking for should no one be able to come up with a software solution:

Saitek PGCU
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/cupro.htm

and amateur review for it
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/saitek_pro_gamer_command_unit

Belkin Speedpad n52
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=157024#

and amateur review for it
http://www.notaddicted.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740

They also offer a PS2 controller with unknown macro functionality
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=104583
but that'd require a PS2->USB converter and probably some extra software.

Ideazon also has a few to look at
http://www.ideazon.com/us/
Leedon

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as controllers go, I have two Saiteks. A lot of them seem to come with macro programming, as far as the ones I've looked at. One's a flight stick, and I love it. It rocks pretty hard. The other is a Rumble Force gamepad, and I dislike it for what I think are major design flaws(the actual placement of the buttons under the trigger buttons for example).

There's also a program that the latter came with that's called "Magic Keyboard". At first I thought this was the macro profiler, but I had that before I installed it(it was an extra program). Once I did install it, I had a lot of computer problems until I got rid of it. The macro profiler itself was pretty sweet though, you could program the different levels of a direction for the analog sticks and what not, and there were a few other good features. I, for the most part, recommend against Saiteks.

Go with Logitech, it's probably your best bet for your money. That's my opinion, at least. I'm sure they have plenty with macro software.

-Lee
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion there are types of games that you absolutely have to have a keyboard mouse in order to play properly: FPS, RTS and MMOs.

If you aren't a keyboard-mouse kind of person, it's gonna be rough on you. This may be one of the reasons I couldn't get into FFXI as it wasn't an intuitive K-M system, but a gamepad designed system.

Leedon is on the money though if you absolutely have to use a controller. Though I put my money on Saitek. The configuration system is fairly easy to understand and they are good products. I'm not saying Logitech is off-base as I love their other products.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logitech MX610 Laser Cordless Mouse + Nostromo Speedpad = dead bitches.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that if Ryken doesn't care for the keyboard, he's definately not going to go for a Nostromo-esque device. It is just a small keyboard afterall.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, guys. Luc, I appreciate all the links as well. I was in Best Buy yesterday and asked the same question, was shown something pretty similar to those, I don't recall the exact model.

Based on what you guys are saying, I think Mojo hit it on the head:

Quote:
If you aren't a keyboard-mouse kind of person, it's gonna be rough on you.

I appreciate all the input, but I have a feeling that those devices are gonna be just as hard to get used to as a keyboard, and --to me-- just as annoying. Guess I'm just a console loser after all.

Thanks again, guys.
Leedon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just set up your analog to be <50% walk+direction key, buttons 1-4 being F1-4, a trigger as gamepad shift, shifted buttons 1-4 as F5-8, and then some other major funtions as the remaining triggers. It'll take some getting used to, but you can make it work, I'm sure.
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostromo plays and feels totally different than a keyboard though. I HATED WoW with a keyboard, but with a Nostromo its my favorite play control on any MMO I've ever played.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... so I'm thinking of retracting my earlier statement about the usefulness of "speedpads" and such. I'm looking at the following:

n52te (or it's older version) - More expensive of the 3, but solid reviews
Cyborg Command Unit - Also has solid reviews, but more people comment on it being uncomfortable compared to the n52.
Fang - Funky layout, but not to the point that it may not be cumbersome, but the layout tends towards keys being further away.

Apparently this controller is very nice: Wolfking Warrior

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> WoW - World of Warcraft All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: