The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Doom Reply with quote

What a terrible movie. but the last 20 minutes rocked (cause thats where all the action takes place in this plotless movie).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/20/AR2005102002203.html
Fyredancer
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: **spoiler alert** Reply with quote

spoiler....

a little one....

you've been warned.....

plot [ plot ] noun (plural plots): story line: the story or sequence of events in something such as a novel, play, or movie

actually, it did have a plot...

bad things happen
people go to kill bad things
many people and things die
people triumph over bad things

It even had a subplot

subĚplot [ s˙b pl˛t ] noun (plural subĚplots): story secondary to main story: a second and less prominent story within a book, play, or movie

brother and sister are seperated
brother and sister reunite with animosity
animosity is lost in general mayhem
brother and sister live happily ever after

sorry...pet peeve of mine....almost all movies/plays/tvshows have plots...they occasionally suck, but they do exist.

having said that, I liked it. Was it great art? nope, but it was what it advertised itself as....a movie from a video game, and I do have to say I think they caught the feel (and the scenery/architecture) extremely well.
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the article
Quote:
This is the granddaddy of shooter games -- the model for "GoldenEye 007," "Quake," "Half-Life," et al. It popularized the genre of first-person shooter (FPS), in which the player controls the point of view.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the grandaddy of all FPS "Wolfenstien"?
Actually, I have a few other problems with that review. First off, Tron was simultaneously released as a movie and game at the same time. It wasn't a game that was turned into a movie. And it was pretty good. The first Mortal Kombat movie was decent and it even almost followed the plot. Tomb Raider was okay, but it was mostly an excercise to show that breasts do not make up for being a Indiana Jones rip-off. ANd why weren't Alone in the Dark and House of the Dead mentioned? Those movies were on par with Supr Mario Bros. for bad game movies.

And question for those have actually saw Doom; Was the first person camera work as annoying as it looks to be in the trailers? I can see thinking that it seems like a good idea in concept, but not so hot upon execution. the chain saw bit in the trailer looked particularly stupid. But then again, I don't really like Doom 3 as a game anyway.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Wolfenstein came first, but Doom made the genre blow up (If you'll pardon the pun).

As far as the movie... that CAD comic has it right. Turn off your brain, you'll have a decent time. The First-Person sequence kinda makes sense when you're in the movie (You'd have to see it) and it's pretty short. It annoyed me in the trailers, too, but it's better exectuted in the framework of the movie.

I can, however, see it causing problems for people who have motion sickness.
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a few people who can handle playing an FPS but watching one being played makes them sick. Causing that to your audience doesn't seem to be a good marketing strategy to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: