The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Toy Glee!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:
Which part is the dumb idea? Just curious.

I had planned on getting a Surface Pro, but since I've bootcamped my Air, I just don't see the point anymore.

As my first Mac, I really dig the air. That being said, I'm not sure I'll buy another one once this one has outlived it's usefulness. Maybe, but I'll probably go back to the Sony Z.

The OS taking up 45 gig of space and then advertising the tablet as a 64 gig tablet. It just seems stupid to me.

I may try to get the Jelly Bean update on my Razr tomorrow.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't they always done that on computers? I don't understand all the fuss. It's not like my Macbook Air was any different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, standard practice is to list total storage, not available storage. It does take up a ridiculous amount of space, but it's not misleading.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhatte wrote:
Just built this from a box of parts. It's a Stihl 064; I think most of its parts were made around 1990 but I can't be sure. It's sort of set up as a Canadian model -- winter filter setup, full-wrap, mid-size dawgs. Should be a pretty good saw.

Very cool. Where's the bar?

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hell, I have maybe 20 of 'em in the garage. I'll probably keep a 32" on this saw, since it's an 85cc powerhead. Probably sounds a bit long by east coast hardwood standards, but out here we like to run longer bars whenever possible so we don't bend over as much, and also so we can be further away from things when they move. I usually keep a 28"-32" on anything 60cc-90cc, 16" on 50cc and below, and 42" on 100cc and above. I have a Partner P100 that pulls a 42" with an 8-pin rim without a complaint, and my Dolmar 7900 has never griped about a 36", so I think this 064 will be quite happy with a 32".

I may go in later and port it, as well. I've gotten good gains by widening the intake and exhaust ports, hogging out the lower transfers, and blending the upper transfers back toward the intake. This saw is already decked by about 0.015" by omitting the base gasket and using Permatex Black in its place... mainly because I didn't have a base gasket and didn't care enough to go track one down. I suppose I could raise the roof of the exhaust a bit to restore the original port timing, but at this point, I don't really care.

I use a Dremel with a pencil extension and carbide bits for port work. If I ever got really serious about 2-stroke necromancy, I'd buy a Foredom pencil grinder but for now what I have works well enough. 15,000 RPM isn't 50,000 RPM, but then, I'm not moving that much metal, and my bits last awhile.

Here's the lower transfers, stock vs. ported, on an 036 I did awhile ago:

Exhaust, stock vs. ported:

Cleaned up casting flash on the piston windows:

Intake just opening up:

Exhaust opened up and gasket-matched:

Velocity stack:

Finished product:

It cuts with an 044, easily!

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger

Last edited by Madhatte on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! But your bar is upside down unless you tend to cut backhanded Razz

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My habit is to flip the bar every time I have the chain off. This evens out the wear on the bar rails and almost doubles the lifetime of the bar. That is a "ES" bar with a replaceable nose; not killing the bar when the nose bearing is inevitably pinched in a facecut also keeps the bar alive longer. I also file the wire edge off the rails whenever I notice one starting to form. This keeps the rails parallel and helps both bar and chain to last longer. Basic maintenance goes a long way.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhatte wrote:
My habit is to flip the bar every time I have the chain off. This evens out the wear on the bar rails and almost doubles the lifetime of the bar. That is a "ES" bar with a replaceable nose; not killing the bar when the nose bearing is inevitably pinched in a facecut also keeps the bar alive longer. I also file the wire edge off the rails whenever I notice one starting to form. This keeps the rails parallel and helps both bar and chain to last longer. Basic maintenance goes a long way.

I know motor taLK talk is my father. sOME OG \IY 3ARARE.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Ryrra
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited about my new computer. Nothing special just a New Dell with Windows 8. And I was able to get MS Office Professional for 25 bucks. Just wish work had this version.

Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it.
-Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)-
Smile
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also excited about my new computer. I ordered my Raspberry Pi today!! Yay linux and computers designed to be hardware hacked!!
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this counts as a toy, but it's exciting nonetheless. I just got "Condo Internet", a small Seattle local provider that kicks ass. Flat rate 60/month, no taxes/fees, no contract.

They have a "1 gig" service for 120, but I restrained myself.

Quote:
I am excited about my new computer. Nothing special just a New Dell with Windows 8. And I was able to get MS Office Professional for 25 bucks. Just wish work had this version.

Go go windows 8! I can't believe Josh didn't build you some crazy windows 8 machine with robotic arms and other craziness Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What... WHAT... WHAT THE FUCK???

Are you kidding me? And I'm impressed by 14 Mb/s on my phone! I only get 19 Mb/s at home with Cox!
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking to sell an older android tablet with official google play access or original kindle fire, I am looking to buy one. ($100ish or less)
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a dream last night that I ordered a cheap android tablet from China but it got stuck in customs because it had a copy of Temple Run installed on it. Customs was claiming the game (temple run) was pirated and they had to investigate for 6 months.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, unfortunately sounds entirely reasonable if one were to use their logic.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Fiber in Austin TX
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Google-Officially-Announces-Google-Fiber-in-Austin-123804

Seems like a more logical place than Kansas City.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to build me a new computer. Any glaring errors in this set of stuff I've decided would be a decent set up? It ended up being more than I was thinking initially, but I kept seeing slightly better parts for pretty much each spot...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($123.78 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.00 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($277.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1566.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-01 10:20 EDT-0400)
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a spam-bot that got through at first...
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems okay to me, but I'm so far removed from the game I wouldn't know... My computer is over 3 years old Eh...

tsakiki wrote:
I'm going to build me a new computer. Any glaring errors in this set of stuff I've decided would be a decent set up? It ended up being more than I was thinking initially, but I kept seeing slightly better parts for pretty much each spot...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.98 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($157.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($80.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($123.78 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($23.00 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($277.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1566.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-01 10:20 EDT-0400)
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only suggestion I have is to try to spec all that from one vendor (NewEgg, most likely) and see if you don't save on shipping. I got burned BADLY once many years ago by chasing only bottom-line prices and getting eaten alive on shipping charges.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: