The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

360 and the next Gen
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: 360 and the next Gen Reply with quote

I was reading the Elder Scrolls IV forums and I came accross this official note from a developer:

Quote:
For those of you that have been wondering, just a quick word. Oblivion does not REQUIRE a hard drive to work on Xbox 360. It will work on every Xbox 360. We would recommend you get one if you have the means because we use it heavily if you have one and it makes the game play smoother, but it is in no way a requirement.

Which kind of made me curious. Anyone who's played any elder scrolls game will probably tell you that while the games are great, the code's usually not rock solid. Daggerfall in particular I had a love hate relationship with. How many games for the 360 are going to not "require" a HD, but run much better on them. Kind of like buying a game when your PC exactly meets the "minimum" requirements only to find it basically unplayable.

I also overheard some kid at EB the other day telling a customer that every 360 game will work without a HD. I wanted to ask him about FFXI, but figured there wasn't much point in wasting my breath.

Ana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I am reading about Xbox 360 tells me not to buy it at release. Not only will they not have HD dvd capabilites, but their not even going to have hyperthreading.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it would be worth buying a 360 to resell on ebay?
On slashdot they had an article saying there will be a shortage of 360's.

Have you seen footage of the need for speed game? Its like SegaCD where they have actors in the game.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading up on the 360, is it basically saying the the Xbox 360 will run computer games? Or are they just remaking current games to play on it?

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my limited knowlege can tell, this Xbox will actually be further from a PC really as it has a different processor. The old one was just a pentium 700 or something close to that. The new one is not based off of the 8086 architecture(Although I don't remember which it is).

Quote:
Everything I am reading about Xbox 360 tells me not to buy it at release. Not only will they not have HD dvd capabilites, but their not even going to have hyperthreading.

Do you mean hyperthreading or multithreading? I read a slashdot blurb where some dude said he didn't think the first gen games were going to put the multithreading capabilities to use, but I think that's somewhat misleading.

Hyperthreading is a intel trademark for how the newer pentiums do multiprocessing. If I remember correctly(Which I rarely do), they do multi-processing through multiple pipelines and thus aren't quite "dual core" machines.

Multi-threading an application is the process of running more than one thing at a time in seperate "threads" of execution. Technically speaking you don't need multi-processors, or dual cores, or hyperthreading to multi-thread. Every version of windows runs multi-threaded, it just doesn't give you any performance gains. Well... every version in the NT line. 95, 98, and ME did bullshit threading. At any rate, certain portions of DirectX are multi-threaded inherantly. I know for fact the networking portion is because it took me about a week to figure out why my program kept crashing once.

Oops, did I go off track again? Oh well... Vynala thinks its funny to read my posts that are way longer than they need to be, so she should enjoy it.

Jesse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154&did=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to reading that. Some of those were pretty funny, but most of that has no real bearing. I think the 10 reasons it will succeed on the next page are far more poignant.

Ana
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that doesnt think the 360 will succeeed is either fooling themselves or just plain doesnt know what they are talking about.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

succeed, sure. make money, nope.

a jab at midget:

midet said
Quote:
So who thinks that Jade Empire is going to be the best RPG ever? Becasuse I do.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Yobun... depends on how you define success.

Xbox has lost money all together last I heard.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=9320

Must be nice to be able to afford to just push everyone else out.

Ana
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am known to exagerate a bit, but not in this situation. I believe the reason the XBox hasnt "made money" is because its not all that popular in Japan, which bears little to no relavence to me. The 360 and the PS3 are both going to be sold for a loss to their respective companies so its a matter of games making them the money and everything I have heard so far has put the 360 as the much much easier of the two to program for. The games for the 360 look way better to me and the gaming companies now recognize that the XBox is legit and not just some half assed attempt by a deranged very rich man to get even more rich. Also, I really dont think the blu-ray/HD dvd is an issue as its not even known if they will be the next successul storage media.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blu-ray/HD dvd is diffiently not an issue in the US or Europe for atleast all of 2006 and a little beyond.
The first recorders are just not coming out in Japan. If MS wants to they can upgrade the DVD ROM drive. Mail in your xbox360 and they install the drive and an OS upgrade for $99.

I do not see what the big deal about that is.

I possibly see sony focusing on the PSP more and a PSP2 when the ps3 sucks. Its so much better then DS.

I think it maybe xbox360 > Nintendo > ps3 (last)
But
PSP > DS > GBA
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If MS wants to they can upgrade the DVD ROM drive. Mail in your xbox360 and they install the drive and an OS upgrade for $99.

Seems highly unlikely to me. Post-ship add ons never do well, and upgrades seem even less likely to be popular.

Quote:
when the ps3 sucks

Why is everyone so down on the PS3? Sony has more than crushed both the XBOX and Cube. I don't buy into the whole "hard to program" thing. One of the big selling points on the cube was supposed to be that it was simple to program for. The xbox was nothing more than a glorified PC with TV out and a controller plug. It doesn't get easier to program for than that, and that didn't mean much.

If somethings hard to program for, people just write tools and have to try a little harder to get the most out of it. Normally what that means is that its harder to reach 100% efficiency out of the hardware... not harder to make a program for necessarily.

I'm not defending the PS2 or PS3... I'm just curious why everyone is so sure its going to suck? I personally do think the XBOX is going to steal its thunder this generation as more people get on board and all the cross platform games go to both.

Quote:
PSP > DS > GBA

In terms of power? Sure... in terms of sales last I'd heard:
PSP < DS < GBA

Its all about games, and that's why the PS2 won the last round.

Ana
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the reason the XBox hasnt "made money" is because its not all that popular in Japan, which bears little to no relavence to me.

idk, when the xbox came out they lost 100$ for each one sold, and that margin went down but was never close to making money. with that said, most money is made form selling licenced games and even the PS2 lost money for each it sold when it came out, but by the time it was a year old the productions cost dropped below the selling price.

Quote:
The xbox was nothing more than a glorified PC with TV out and a controller plug.

it was even less that that. the controller port is just USB ina new shape.

thePS2 was a pain to program for too but is dominated things. i see Nintendo on the side lie they were this time, but not gaining our losing standing. the other 2 will be around fighting it out ann neither losing.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO think Sony is underestimating online gaming. Last generation it was a neat feature. This time I think its going to be huge.

I don't know about Nintendo this time. They could go anywhere from selling only one console(me) to dominating. Assuming they advertise and price things correctly I think they should do well. The ability to play every Nintendo game ever will sell consoles. Nostalgia is big money. I just hope they don't overprice it, and get some other people onboard(Konami, Capcom, Square?)

Ana
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, you can already play most of the big ones from the nintendo(original) era on the gba if you have the card reader deally. i don't think it will actually sell consoles. i mean, how many people (other than yobun) do you know who even have the card reader things?
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Smile

That's where the price comes in... even on cards, some of those games were too much, and they were kind of a pain. Sure it was neat, but not all that useful.

If I remember correctly, they were all 5 bucks when they came out. That's too much for anything other than maybe a N64 game in my opinion. If they get a large enough collection and sell them for a buck a piece or maybe two I think they'll do well....

Then offer some promotions maybe? There's a rewards system you could set up that would do well. Top Mario Kart player every month gets a free game.

Itunes sells Ipods and vice versa. They need to recognize this and keep it on the cheap. I hope to god they don't try to get rich from sales of 20 year old games.

Ana
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could agree with that. that way you can pick up your old fav's online style, and not have to find them in a store, and it keeps you in the fun for a dollar or two. that would be pretty cool. i just hope that they don't make it a rental type thing, where you have to continue to pay to keep the game. a pay service, for online stuff, i don't particularly like, but i understand. but if you have to continue to pay for code that is stored on your console, just to keep a date stamp from triggering, that is a bunch of crap(no, i'm not a fan of napster's new buisness plan)
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that PS2 beat XBox and Cube only by throwing out such a huge quantity of games with big names on them that kids "had to have." I think both the XBox and the Cube had much better and many many more quality games and I am very confident that trend will continue. If it werent for the ff and suikoden series I would never buy a PS3.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, the ones that got me were jak and daxter and ratchet and clank. but then, when xbox came out with stuff i wanted, i got one of those too. and game cube, for that matter. i suspect i'll have all three for an indefinite amount of time, as zelda will stay nintendo only, and i'm sure the others will have games only on them that i'll want to play. honestly, for the most part, the multi platform games are the ones i don't end up getting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: