The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: New game Reply with quote

Anyone know of a good immersive game that has been release fairly recently? I'm talking about something like Skyrim that I can squeeze hours or days out of. I looked at Far Cry 3, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and some others, but nothing just grabs me like Skyrim did.

I'd like to avoid GTA or Saint's Row and their ilk if possible.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KoA's actually pretty good if you haven't tried it. Have you looked at Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I've been playing Civ5 while waiting for FFXIV. If you play a map on marathon mode, it can take up to two or three days to finish a game. Last of Us is excellent.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon's Dogma
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try KOA. I didn't really like the way the controls and UI functioned. I just downloaded Fallout 3 to give it a shot, but it keeps crashing before I even get out of the vault.

I guess I'm looking for something that is an Action RPG that is pretty open world. I thought about trying Shadow Run, but I don't really like the turn-based aspect of it.

Maybe I should try Dragon Age 2. I enjoyed DA:O pretty well.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethesda is releasing an anthology edition with all 5 Elder Scrolls games. I didn't see a release date one their website, but the link on Best Buy's online store said it would be available on 9/10/13.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/anthology/
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blastron for Android.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vawn wrote:
Dragon's Dogma

Seconded. It's less of a fleshed out world/story than Skyrim with far better combat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever played Borderlands 1 or 2? Just Cause 2 was kinda fun for a while.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've beaten that. I had forgotten that I wanted to get Tiny Tina's Adventure DLC. Tiny Tina was freakin hilarious.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:
Vawn wrote:
Dragon's Dogma

Seconded. It's less of a fleshed out world/story than Skyrim with far better combat.

I'll look at that.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongolio wrote:
Lotan wrote:
Vawn wrote:
Dragon's Dogma

I'll look at that.

Or not. I forgot to mention one other thing: PC only. My kids have a Wii and 360, but I don't play consoles.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe I should try Dragon Age 2. I enjoyed DA:O pretty well.

You should, with DA3 in the near-ish future, DA2's story is absolutely worth checking out. The characters are great too.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While looking at youtube for both DA:O and DA2, I discovered that I already played through both of them a while back. Sad

downloaded the demo of The Witcher 2. Damn, that's a really freaking annoying control system. That might just be a deal breaker for me. I'm still playing Rift and Fallout3 occasionally. TW2 is so drastically different that it jacks with my head trying to switch between them.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingdom Hearts? Uncharted? Assassins Creed?
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Witcher 2. I thought the combat was great, but I switched from mouse and keyboard to a 360 controller pretty early on.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have considered Assassin's Creed, but how far back do I need to go to start? The beginning? Will that look and run like ass on a new computer?

I've never even seen footage of Kingdom Hearts or even heard of Uncharted.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you play all three series. You don't have to play AC1 so I recommend starting with AC2. A lot of folks don't like the repetitiveness of 1, but you'll probably appreciate Revelations more if you play through AC1.

Uncharted has some interesting stories and a pretty cool protagonist. A lot of wall climbing, shooting, and puzzles. I guess you can say it's Prince of Persia w/ guns or Tomb Raider w/ a male protagonist.

KH is a Disney and FF fanboy's (me) wet dream. Hack-n-slash with RPG elements and characters from numerous franchises. KH1 has an excellent story and KH2 picks up the gameplay. Might as well play them with KH3 coming soon... ish. There's a lot of other KH games that are kinda meh but I recommend Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance. Never finished D3, but that's because I'm a jackass that didn't save for about 5hrs worth of the game and still haven't gone back.

Also, KH has a 1.5 edition coming out pretty soon that I think is an HD remake of 1 and Chain of Memories.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I also recommend Kingdom Hearts. I bought a PS2 just so I could play it. I had a blast designing my own ships to fly around in between worlds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: