The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Afraid of girls
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 69, 70, 71  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> The Vault
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Boy wrote:
thank you for the lead.

I added a bit after you posted this since I wasn't sure how well I answered your initial question.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Jon Boy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much better answer. so it's all about a closed vrs. open system system? couldn't the universe be "closed?"
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Boy wrote:
much better answer. so it's all about a closed vrs. open system system? couldn't the universe be "closed?"

Well, the universe is considered closed. But evolution takes place within this closed system so you have to look at everything else that is taking place too when you consider the net result.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Jon Boy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was under the impression that the universe was ever expanding?
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the overriding theory for a few decades, but different ideas have cropped up over time. I believe the mathematics no longer support an expanding universe but rather a contracting one, but I honestly can't remember.
Jon Boy
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your view, a clarification if you will
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently 28 years still isn't enough time for me to figure this whole relationship thing out.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you have to deduct 7 from that number, to make up for the fact you have no cognitive ability to rationalize until that age.

Dames.

Speaking of which, not only do we have the attractive young nurse girl Genevieve with the awesome neck and back tats(not of the tramp stamp variety), but we also now have a pretty young thing by the name of Emily working patient check out. But she's only 18, and that's a big negative in my book. I'd rather date someone I can relate to, know what I mean? And preferably not work with.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had limited experience with mixing work and relationships, and none of it was good.
Chick!
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Apparently 28 years still isn't enough time for me to figure this whole relationship thing out.

Care to expound on that? I hope all is well Smile

I think we should take the economy, put a bag over its head, shot gun a few beers, and get it over with.---Dick Calhoun, Write in Party, SNL

I'm not sure even the jolly green giant has the balls to teabag the whitehouse.--Jon Stewart
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd place for an evolution discussion. I support what Trassin said. There's no conflict between evolution and the 2nd law of thermo. If you were to take our solar system to be a closed system, for example, then it is "winding down" as the sun runs out of fuel. Entropy will ultimately turn the whole thing into cold, dead rocks orbiting cold dead rocks (our sun is not destined to supernova), with whatever complexity formed in the meantime just being an intermediate step. I expect we'll leave the solar system before then, but if we didn't our fate would be inescapable since nearly all energy is ultimately solar energy, and in the scope of billions of years all energy sources are finite and non-renewable. Diseases, etc. aren't part of this law of deterioration, they're just more life struggling in their own niche - consuming, reproducing, etc.

Also, I'm sorry to hear you're having relationship mess Trassin.

I've more or less been in hiding since the divorce. I've reached my hand into the dating jar a couple of times but it's been slapped pretty consistently, so I'm just taking more time to straighten my own head out.

One day I'll be unfucked and ready for a relationship again. Really, I will.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Care to expound on that?

Not a whole lot to expound upon. Perseph and I had a mutual break up. We are both alpha personalities, to damn stubborn for our own good, and couldn't seem to find a way past that.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks, Trassin, sorry to hear it bud....
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's difficult, I had that problem with Kim.

The real pisser is that I'm attracted to those girls.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mishlai wrote:
That's difficult, I had that problem with Kim.

The real pisser is that I'm attracted to those girls.

Yeah, I was attracted to a lot about Perseph but we just couldn't get past always feeling like the other person in the relationship wasn't willing to compromise enough.

I'm not sure how many times I heard, "you always ignore what I say anyways" when I would ask her opinion on something but it was a LOT. Of course, I felt the exact same way, that what ever I suggested, she was just going to do what she wanted anyways.

So there was this continual battle between us to be the "alpha" in the relationship. It was something that was somewhere in the background of almost every other problem we had. Towards the end, we would just fight over the stupidest shit. I even realized it was stupid shit to be fighting about but it just seemed to happen anyways.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that. I feel like I've been there before.

It seems like once you hit that point where you start fighting over the stupid shit, it's really hard to "fix" it. It's weird when you're fighting with someone you care about and you're aware of the fact that it's not what you want to be doing, but you do it anyhow.

There are times when I worry that all relationships are doomed to eventually hit that point. But maybe that's just the optimist in me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about that too, actually. I'm about half way through this book, Resurrecting the Unicorn - Masculinity in the 21st Century, which touches down on a number of things that I find confusing/frustrating. It's my hope that if I can really dig down and clear up my own hang-ups, etc. and get a clear idea of what I want and the courage to express that, then perhaps the relationship future will be brighter.

Also, I'm attracted to emotionally unhealthy chicas, and that of course has colored - or stained if you prefer - my perception of relationships. I'm not sure that I know what normal feels like.

Also, the author is a practicing Jungian Analyst in my city, and I went in for a 1st session yesterday. I have a lot to work through, and based on what I've read in the 1st half of his book, he's probably going to be a good guide for me.

I really liked the way you put that Trassin - both of you being Alpha personalities - that's a really clear and unloaded way to describe that dynamic.

I'm sorry man, it's a seriously shitty thing to go through - especially when you've got a cool partner & just can't seem to get along.

Fucking act like it.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... and I'm sure you already know this... fighting about stupid shit is a proxy for fighting about feelings, power struggles, and the like. Sometimes the small things themselves come to represent personal attacks, but it's all ultimately about the notions you described - a sense that the other does not listen, compromise, respect, give, or whatever - enough.

If I learned anything at all from my divorce, it's that you can't give more than you have. If you try, she will still be unhappy, and indeed will love you even less because it will suck your soul out. You'll stop being the man she fell in love with, and begin the downward spiral of it's never enough.

It's not an answer, but sometimes knowing what isn't an answer is at least a little helpful. I know that communication and boundaries are key, but I don't actually know how to apply that well yet. Self-knowledge is the beginning of everything, and I'm still working on that part.

Fucking act like it.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome new avatar, Mishlai.
Chick!
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear that. Relationships are hard, no doubt about it. I hope you're doing okay.

I think we should take the economy, put a bag over its head, shot gun a few beers, and get it over with.---Dick Calhoun, Write in Party, SNL

I'm not sure even the jolly green giant has the balls to teabag the whitehouse.--Jon Stewart
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> The Vault All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 69, 70, 71  Next
Page 70 of 71

Jump to: