The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chatrooms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> BEB Site/Board Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I'm still stuck in the dark ages with IE until I find a valid reason to change. If it has that option on the right click menu then I'd assume yes.

Lotan

Edit: Glistam will owe you a cookie if you test it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:
Glistam,

I did some testing after we talked, and I think if you change the "t" tag in that Iframe to point to "forums.blueelephantbrigade.com", then the two chatrooms will be one and the same and that way give people the option. We can discuss more later if you want.

Lotan

Both now point to the chatroom you're used to Lotan. Now you won't be so alone anymore.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To escape the frame and "close" the chat program I hit my link in the browser shortcuts for the forum main page. That takes me out of the frames and back onto the forum proper.

That shouldn't be an issue anymore since I set up the "Java Chat" link to open a new window with the gabbly chatroom. But feel free to keep doing it the old way if you prefer. Both are compatable.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know. I'm still stuck in the dark ages with IE until I find a valid reason to change. If it has that option on the right click menu then I'd assume yes.

After using firefox for a little while I found that i actually prefer it to IE. Not simply because it's not M$, or because of supposedly better security or anything nebulous like that, but because it makes my life easier.

Probably all the same functionality and more is in IE, but I don't have to wade through obscure menus to find what I need with firefox.

tabbed pages is cool I guess, but I still prefer separate windows, IE style.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use the tabs feature, myself. I used Firefox for a while, but the last time I downloaded it on my own machine, I went and grabbed the Mozilla Suite, too. After using plain old Mozilla, I found I liked it better. I really like the fact that I can quickly and easily get rid of all the menu bars at the top, and bring 'em back whenever I like. As a result, when I downloaded a new browser onto my father's machine so I wouldn't have to use IE, and so I could have my own preferred settings (he likes to have a bunch of filetree crap on the left side that I'd rather not look at and his "homepage" is offline), I didn't bother about Firefox and just grabbed the Mozilla Suite. I think of it as FirefoxLite.

I also use my webbrowser as my jpeg viewer. It's not as flexible as MS Picture and Fax Viewer, but it lets me look at more than one picture at a time, which is all I care about.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabbly seems to randomly drop you at times... I thought I was parked there this afternoon, and it was just very quiet, but I noticed there wasn't any of the "idle time stamps", so I closed and reopen it. I saw in the history half of a conversation (Glistam's half, probably with Lotan), so that was interesting too, that the history was only one side of a conversation.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its only version .1

Guess it still needs work. I haven't had too much issue myself, but I guess we'll have to see.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Kiki and I just had a conversation, and again everything I said got cut out of the history. Did you enter via the "Java Chat" button at the top kiki? I'm assuming that's what Glistam did. Maybe that's the issue.

Lotan
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Chat feature doesn't work with regular Mozilla.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:
Interesting. Kiki and I just had a conversation, and again everything I said got cut out of the history. Did you enter via the "Java Chat" button at the top kiki? I'm assuming that's what Glistam did. Maybe that's the issue.

Yes, yes I did.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New chatroom:
http://blueelephantbrigade.com/chat/phpMyChat.php3

Yes, it's purple. I will look into customizing it tonight. I also have it on good authority that it can be integrated with our forums. Hopefully this will fit everyone's needs. Check it out. In about 10 minutes this'll be the the new chat link on the top instead of gabbly.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the last one was working just fine for everyone else.

So which chatroom has all the cool kids in it, now that we have more than one?
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I update the link on top hopefully this one.

You don't need to make an account to chat. You can just type ina user name and enter.

Gabbly was having some issues, so I looked into something different.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, what do I put in the "Select a Chatroom" section?
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a minimum, all you need to do is enter a username and hit enter. The other stuff is for loggign in, or creating a different room. Just entering and hitting enter will bring you into the main room. You can create your own private chat from there if you wish.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sure, leave as soon as I show up. I see how it is.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, did it work out okay?
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chatroom seems to work out well. I'm still researching how to edit things like it's colors, default room names, basically all the superficial crap that everyone will complain about. I found a walkthrough on how to integrate it with the board, but it's not complete. The guy who wrote it said it took him 3 days to get the integration working right and the steps he posted to do it are only the steps he remembers, and they're vague to the point that at one point he says: Open up ever file and replace "user_password" with just "password." Every page in which directory? All of them? Sure, I'm made of free time, I'll get right on that. He even goes further to state that he knows there are probably steps missing.

I'm not looking forward to breaking the board over a chatroom, so I'm looking for a better guide to integrate a phpBB board with phpMyChat. If any of you find something please let me know.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there are two complaints regarding chatrooms that I know you guys have really wanted to see:
*To see from the boardes how many people are in the chatroom, and
*To be able to enter the chatroom without having to log in by having it recognize your board login.

I'm going to break the bad news to you that I'm not going to implement those additions. I've spent almost all morning breaking the board repeatedly trying to just do the first bullet there. Things are back to the way they were before I started messign around, and I'm going to keep them there. To make the first change happen requires an understanding og php coding and archetecture that is way beyond my understanding. There is a way to do it. I know there is. But I can't make it work here on this forum despite what I try.

As for the second bullet, that requires an integration between the board and the chatroom that I mentioned in my last post. Until a workable walkthrough or mod is released to detail how to do it, that won't happen either.

So what that means for you all is that you're going to have to live with the inconvenience of having to actually load up the chatroom to see if someone's in there. It's not a java chatroom so it should load faster. Also, it is a much nicer chatroom that that garbage thing I originally had and what gabby provided us. I'm done selling this thing to you. The Chat lnk at the top of every page for this board opens the chatroom up. You can also get to it here if you care:
http://www.blueelephantbrigade.com/chat

On the login screen you'll see the listing of whetehr or not someone's in there. You can also click on this link to see who is actually in there. You can create an account htere if you'd like, but you don't have to and can just enter a username and enter.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> BEB Site/Board Related All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: