The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uh oh...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Uh oh... Reply with quote

Bad precedent
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap. It was only a matter of time I suppose, but I agree with the link title.

I'm going to move this Mongo - I think the entire online community here needs to see this.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i read that on Alla and here

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/news_archive.vm?id=457&section=News&month=current
E-RoCk
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing, but this paragraph is pretty true.

First: It's obvious that a large percentage of our players either don't mind this activity or actively participate in it. We've done a fair amount of homework on this subject, and we believe this is a $200 million dollar market worldwide, and there are a huge number of our players taking part in the buying and selling of virtual goods. We have conducted polls, and the vast majority of players either doesnít care about it or would like to participate in it. We believe that by allowing this to happen on select servers, we can have a solution for both the many players who want to participate in this and for those who donít.

I couldn't see myself playing anything like this.  I doubt that their idea of letting this thing go on to ligthen there costumer support works either.  I think what people really want is to be ahead of others, and you can't do that easily in a server that allows this to go on.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the move, Glistam.  I hadn't thought about that.

I'd gotten that link from the WoW official forums.  I didn't even see it on Allakhazam.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flip-side of the argument (and I'm all against buying virtual goods) there could be an upside.

Sony did say they would have servers that did not participate in this Virtual Auctionhouse so that those who don't care for that sort of thing won't have to deal with it.

That being said, if something like this were to take place in all MMOGs, the possibility exists that the majority of the l33t h4xx0rz kind of guys would head there.  Leaving less of them for us to deal with.  However...  if there is any PvP activity on said "Anti-Virtual Sales" servers, you can be guarrantied that there will be some l33t m0nk3y looking to pwnz ju with his newly bought Paddle of Monkey Spanking +9.

So... whether they allow it or not, it's going to happen.  Hopefully by endorsing it, they can regulate it better.  And in said regulation, maybe make a l33t h34v3n for those who care so us stfu n00bs can play our games in peace.  I'm not holding my breath though.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
E-RoCk
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I doubt there will be much insentive for people to buy "online items" when everyone else does. †I hope I'm just being pessimistic.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This serisouly floored me and prvoes my point once again the SOE has NO IDEA wtf they are doing...
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I think its an awesome Idea.
If poeple are going to be selling items anyway sony should just set up an auction site and take a 5% fee.
A way for them to make even more $$
Its all about the $$
Mhuirnin
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad they've designated sale and non-sale servers. I guess... It was only a matter of time. It still doesn't make me happy about it, but at least they've given people opposed to the idea a place to go to be left alone by the (legal) selling...
Which really probably doesn't help much. Honestly, they haven't changed who's buying. Only selling. People who truly want to do things like buy gil, gear, and characters have probably done it already and will continue to do so. I doubt the 'illegality' of it was ever a very big deterrant.
If you love truth more than happiness, then open; otherwise, let rest.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a good point was made elsewhere this was being discussed - if the sanctioned buying/selling is limited to only a couple servers, then most if not all of the people who are willing to do that sort of thing will migrate to those servers, leaving the rest free from their kind. With a drastically reduced market on the other servers, the gil sellers will be forced to reduce their operations, if not disband them altogether.

I think it's a sound theory at least.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah bottom line is sony saw $$$ and said if you can't beat em join em.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linky
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
E-RoCk
Freeman
Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongolio wrote:
Linky

Laughing

It makes you wonder if sony would change the rarity of items to change their value now.  See'ing how they control the mkt on their own virtual goods.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

A little off subject. A line from the first link had me laughing.
Quote: which in five months has built a player base of more than 350,000.

My first thought was that it is a great number considering they had over 300,000 in the first month.... How many have they gained and subsequently lost to WoW?

And on topic. If it drags ass clowns to other servers, so be it.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, SPyder...  There are PLENTY of asshats to go around...
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

I hate those type of hats... Hair is always messy and smells bad....
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And "natural" hair coloring?
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on topic:  bad precedent is right.  SOE are not too bright.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Server specifics Reply with quote

I think you guys are a little optimistic about all the clowns moving to the vendor specific servers. Diablo II tried to fix all the cheating hacks by having open and closed battlenet servers and people still tried to hack the closed Bnet servers so they could get the extra edge. I think most characters that have established methods for getting money/items on their current servers will most likely not want to start over again on a new server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: