The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gran Tourismo HD Cars Sold Seperately?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Gran Tourismo HD Cars Sold Seperately? Reply with quote

You have probably seen this on slashdot but I wanted to see what people thought about it.
I think it is stupid, but it is diffiently a way to make more money if they sell the game for $49.99 and then charge for the tracks and cars.
It seems tho it would be easy to crack using a Game Shark or what not.
Or maybe the DVD would be very bare and you have to download all the tracks to the HDD.
But then what happens if your PS3 breaks? Do you loose all this extra content you bought?

Also it is a way for car makers to make money off the game. They can offer their cars and make like 25 cents or something and Sony gets the other 74 cents.
They could do special edition download cars such as a viper etc. for maybe $4.95 and limit it to the first 10,000 downloads.

Also think about Madden 07, having to download the teams you want. Or even individual players (that would be insane).

Every game could work with this pay extra marketing plan.
I don't think anyone would like it, but it could work.

"1up reports on a Famitsu article discussing the future of microtransactions for PS3. According to the article, Gran Tourismo HD will require all cars to be bought via microtransactions. More specifically, the 'classic' package will come with no cars or tracks and the 'premium' package will include 30 cars and a measly 2 tracks to race on. Additional cars cost between 50 and 100 yen ($0.43-$0.85) and tracks go for 200-500 yen ($1.71-$4.26) a piece. No pricing was given for the game itself."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153775
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is doing that right now. You pay $50 for the game and any of the "official" add-ons/mods are *cha-ching*

It's basically a pay-to-play for the off-line games.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate micro-payments. Here, keep shelling out money to play the game. I'm more willing to let Oblivion slide for it, since if you bought all of the extra stuff it costs to about as much as an expension pack normally would cost. And even if you don't buy the extra content, you can still enjoy the game.

Gran Torismo HD is a stupid idea. $50 and I still can't play the game until I pay more money online. I think it was calculated (on Fark where I read about it) to cost almost as much as the entire PS3 system if you were to buy all of the content for GTHD.
Smitty
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am beginning to hate what the video game industry is turning into. The whole reason I never got into Everquest and SWG was the monthly payment. When you by the game you should be able to play it without spending any more money. $50 for a game that cost and additional $15 a month? What a load of shit.

“The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” -Thomas Jefferson
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with it on MMORPG's. In FFXI they add new content all the time, and try to keep it exciting. Many of us in BeB have been playing for 3 years, and most of us spend a decent amount of time in game.

If I wasn't playing FFXI, I'd be spending more than 12 bucks a month on other games to be sure.

Oblivion isn't too bad because it was a full game without it, but I'd personally rather see them just bundle all the new stuff together and call it an expansion.

GT on the other hand just sounds lame.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm divided on that issue. On one hand I agree with you, why should I have to keep paying for a game that I've already bought. But maintaining the servers and content updates and the like cost money and you want to play on their servers you have to pay the fees that go along with the upkeep of the server. But most of the MMORPG's give that one free to see if you really like it and if not, time to E-bay that disk.

As I said before, the problem I have with GTHD is that you have to drop $50 for a game that you can't play. There's nothing there, no cars, no tracks, probably not even a hot chick to stare at. Just a load screen and a title screen directing you to an online menue where you get to purchase more content before you can play.
Smitty
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNix wrote:
As I said before, the problem I have with GTHD is that you have to drop $50 for a game that you can't play. There's nothing there, no cars, no tracks, probably not even a hot chick to stare at. Just a load screen and a title screen directing you to an online menue where you get to purchase more content before you can play.

So your paying $50 for a game that isnt the least bit stand alone? That is a total ripoff if you ask me, but usually no one ever does.

“The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” -Thomas Jefferson
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree.

That's like paying full price for a car with no tires, roof or engine. Oh, those are extras, you say? Fuck that.

It's all a load of garbage that just steals money from people.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the game confirmed at 50 bucks? Either way I don't really like it. If its "full" price, that could be up to 75 or so anyhow on the PS3 I believe.

If it was a full game, and you could add shit on, that's one thing.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MrNix
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if they were selling it for $19.95, I'm not buying an empty game. Any amount of money is too much for a game that isn't there. If they were to give the disks away and I could then go and Download the content I wanted for a price that's one thing, and I'm cool with that. But I'm not paying for a game that I can't play.

I don't see this business model as working very well, but I also know that fanboys can be quite irrational and I could easily be proven wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: