The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wikipedia/Digg
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> BEB Site/Board Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Wikipedia/Digg Reply with quote

After making a wiki for my job (NEF and working on Hatte's, I started thinking... there is no page for BEB and BEB has never been featured on Digg.
What do y'all think of each?

Wiki could generate more traffic (and spammers), but would give another reference to find us.
Digg would require that somebody write and post an article. This could also bring more traffic and spammers, but would be much more pronounced due to the digg effect.

I didn't want to submit either until y'all felt the site was ready to handle it... if it's ready.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Digg, but we can't have a page on Wikipedia since we don't qualify for their standards. We're not big enough, nor have we really contributed anything to anything. We're just a bunch of friends with common interests who hang out at one place and talk about stuff.

I have long thought that a Wiki article on the BEB would be cool, but until we become more world-renowned I think that any pages we created would be subject to speedy deletion.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Madhatte entry is pretty awesome.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glistam wrote:
We're not big enough, nor have we really contributed anything to anything.
What about the FFXI maps? ...the articles and links? ...the 178 members? ...helpful advice on everything you can think of? ...helping troubled youth?

There's more relevant and noteworthy information here than would fit on one page. How about this: I'll start one this afternoon, after some planning, and see if it sticks.

Silence=Compliance, so if you are against it, speak now or forever hold your peace... or delete it after it's up.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FFXI maps would probably be our most "notable" contribution, but what sources will you cite as to their usefulness when compared to other FFXI map sites? Wiki seems pretty big in having folks cite their sources. I'm only one voice, but I'm against it unless you can cite independant sources backing up any claims you make regarding BEB's "fame."

"...the articles and links? ...helpful advice on everything you can think of?"
These things will need outside sources citing them for notability.

"...the 178 members?"
I believe a web forum needs a few thousand members to be notable on it's own according to the wikipedia standards.

"...helping troubled youth?"
While it's amusing you bring it up, I can't verify how much help we were in the one instance of this happening since the 'troubled youth' hasn't been heard from by any of us since.

I'd like to see us on Wiki, don't get me wrong. I just want us to "earn" our wiki page. Not just be put there because we like ourselves. If you guys think you can find appropriate sources then go for it, I'll even help. Maybe we could work it out here first, and get it in decent shape so that the admins on Wiki don't give it their speedy deletion treatment.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait until we overthrow the government, then they'll have to give us an article.
Ryrra
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about all the other pages about FFXi that link to our Maps. Also the pictures that Yobun took of each zone are on the Final Fantisy Encyclopedia so I would have to say that would be a good starting place.

Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it.
-Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)-
Smile
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever try to start a wiki page for the BEB khimaira?

Laughing Laughing Laughing I had forgotten how awesome Hatte's Wiki post turned out.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I deferred to Glistam's advice. Besides, it isn't my place to put BEB up there.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is due to the conflicting gravitational fields between the planet earth and Madhatte's head.

should read

Quote:
This is due to the tidal forces between the planet earth and Madhatte's head.

Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit away Mongolio.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I mean, it is a publicly-editable Wikipage.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured out how to edit the top area.

And done.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the requirments for posting web content on Wiki and I think we could pull it off, especially if the FFXI guys can get the board listed in the community section of FFXI.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this again. It might actually work better if the page was about the BEB gaming guild. We could use the old Rough Rider news paper as one of the sources. There is no way to prove that the BEB was mentioned in the paper but simply stating that it was might be enough. That plus getting us listed on the FFXI sight might be enough. We could also make reference to the fact that what started out as a gaming guild on board CVN-71 now has a huge membership, through over 20 games (guessing at the number but there have certainly been a ton of BEB guilds formed in different MMO's and other games over the years)
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started working out the details of the BEB Wiki page on my user page. Feel free to help me out. The page is very very basic right now.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added some stuff. I think it's all correct.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a Quotes Section.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're going to get hammered for not having referrences that can be verified. But that's just my opinion. You never know until it's actually done. I'll play around a bit there this weekend if I can, and add some info.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my original thought but I was able to find a couple of other guilds on the wiki page with no real independent links to verify them.

Here is one example

I'm also hoping to come up with a couple of other links, such as BEB being on the FFXI Community Page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> BEB Site/Board Related All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: