The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free MMO?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Free MMO? Reply with quote

Today's Penny-Arcade talks about the suspected data mining through BF 2142 for the use of "custom in-game ads". It occurs to me that if there was some way for a MMO to do this without violating privacy issues it could lead to a high quality MMO having no monthly fee.

They could base it off of key words in people's online/in-game discussions and use that to populate ads in the background. I'm sure that they could generate a matrix that would match up certain personality types/interests with certain key words.

Just figured I would mention it and see what everyone else had to say on the issue.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies want to make alot of money, they would charge you the monthly fee and put in the ads to make extra money.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Companies want to make alot of money, they would charge you the monthly fee and put in the ads to make extra money.

While I agree that the companies want to make money not charging a montly fee would allow them to collect more money from advertisers because of more players and a wider variation in player types.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'd rather pay for the service, and not have adds. that is why i buy my tv serieses on dvd, and also why i subscribe to satellite radio.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would depend on how it was presented. Funny little ads in the background every once in a while would be fine but I wouldn't want to be running around with the Coca-Cola Scepter of Destruction and my Trojan Latex Shield while wearing a full suit of Ford Tuff Armor.
Leedon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anarchy has small movies that are ads playing on the billboards in some of the cities, if I remember right. I don't think it has spyware in it, though.
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ads are fine if they don't interfere with immersion. Sponsors put money into the industry, which means more games, and occasionally better games. The only way I would even notice enough to care is if I were playing Rome: Total War and had to fight the McDonald's Empire.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leedon wrote:
Anarchy has small movies that are ads playing on the billboards in some of the cities, if I remember right. I don't think it has spyware in it, though.

They do. I remember seeing Fanta adds back when they started their 30-day free trial or whatever.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still looking forward to the game where you play as the leader of the Googlians defending your empire from the evil Yahoo!als.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i think i'd rather pay for the service, and not have adds. that is why i buy my tv serieses on dvd, and also why i subscribe to satellite radio.

preach it.

Quote:
ads are fine if they don't interfere with immersion.

Also true, but I don't hope for that kind of good behavior once the paradigm takes hold and execs start seeing the dollar signs.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immyls wrote:

The last few TV shows I've watched on DVD have had commercials that you can't skip at the beginning, and movies are starting to do the same thing. Its really starting to piss me off.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing like paying for the right to watch ads...
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyco listed a couple of free MMO's in his post today. You can find the actual post and links here.

Quote:
Korea (perhaps I should say South Korea) creates online games for audiences with such precise appetites that I am not sure if these constituencies exist. Shot Online, a Golfing MMO you may have seen advertised here and elsewhere, is a flagrant, almost crass mainstream proposition compared to some of its contemporaries. There is a game exclusively for those who want to "fly and have cool fun." Another title, Yogurting, is about... I don't know what it's about. I wasn't aware that Yogurt was a verb. And Trickster Online presents a truly unique angle: it's a roleplaying experience designed for furries who are also into mining.

Many of these games are free to play, sustained by "cash stores" that offer players attractive garb (or what have you) that rarely affects actual game mechanics. It doesn't generate Horse Armor levels of hatred because they already gave you the game for free. Since they're bound up with these optional user purchases, and bound tightly, I'm surprised that you haven't seen one of the big three courting the more well known Korean products.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but is there a thread about the ridiculous legislation to allow movie production companies to make it where you can't skip through the previews and ads on their home releases?
Leedon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make one than we will have one.

As far as free MMO's I kind of like Rappelz. It's a poor man's Lineage II. I play on Lydian(sp?) with my brother. He formed a guild called Coldfire that's just him and myself and we're having a great time making fun of asshats. It's my dirty, non-PSU pleasure. It's free, though you can buy stuff with real cash. Will the stuff make you stronger? A bit. Can you beat the advantage with skill? If you're smart enough. I solo things 7 or 8 levels about me.
It makes no sense to me.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple no would have sufficed. I was trying to avoid making a redundant thread, and I did not relish the idea of sifting through every page on this board to check. Shame on me.
Leedon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that was a more "I don't know" answer, to be honest. Have you tried the search function? I'm not sure why you posted it in another thread. I thought it silly so I tried to bring it back on topic.
It makes no sense to me.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure how it is silly to ask a question which is related to the topic recently being discussed(advertising in multimedia, in this case games, which should have been obvious). I did not wish to derail the thread completely, so I asked in order to post in the appropriate thread. Next time I will use the search function instead of asking simple questions from a group of normally helpful individuals, to avoid any further silliness.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are just being silly.

Sorry, I felt left out.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, just one more reason Crush needs Mod powers, so he can punish those who dare to question his sillyness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: