The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: iPhone Reply with quote

It's been a while since I wanted something I couldn't afford.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look interesting. I can't wait to see the real thing. It's very odd to me that it uses EDGE instead of EVDO, but aside from that it looks great.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quote myself from another forum:

Madhatte, elsewhere wrote:
I won't be an early adopter, but I have to agree that it does look intriguing.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happens that I'm in the market for a new phone. I've looked at a few-----been leaning toward SAMSUNG--and gained just enough knowledge to have some comments and questions.

Comments:

First of all, if you think Intel and Microsoft are evil, just remember that the only reason they exist and operate on the scale that they do is that Apple is even more evil. Apple has consistently been the first to jump on the Let's Fuck the Dumb Consumers bandwagon, and they're as bad as Sony when it comes to proprietary formats. The i-tunes Call the Mothership and Check Your Password policy when it comes to software purchased in the i-tunes store, and the very existence of the AAC format are two reasons I never bought an ipod--despite my awareness that both problems are easily avoidable.

Now that I've been exposed to rumors that the next version of Windows Media Player will automatically search your harddrive for files it believes to be illegal and corrupt them makes me even more leary of dealing with Apple. Say what? You heard me. Apple doesn't like being in second place in the evil department, and they'll be quick to incorporate similar techniques. I'm afraid of having both i-tunes and Windows Media Player on my computer.

I hate the letter i in front of everything. It's too fucking cute. I hate it as much as the My in front of all the standard folders in the world of Windows OS.

Now--a little more on topic--I wonder at the practicality of the i-phone. So... questions:

The first issue that comes to mind is battery life. If I use this as my portable music player and my phone, will my phone be in constant need of a charge?

How easy will it be to use as a phone?

How often will it do something I don't want it to do because I bumped it in my pocket?

How strong is the bluetooth signal? I've seen new Samsung and Motorola phones brag about 100M radius bluetooth operability--and I want that.

How much will the whole kit and kaboodle run me? --i.e. 8GB i-phone, bluetooth headphones (for music--I've already got a decent headset for phone conversations), USB 2.0 to whatever-you-call-the-connection-port-on-ipods cable, car charger, car stereo adapter, two AC chargers, protective case that flips open and shut to protect the screen and prevent inadvertant operation when it's in my pocket, plastic disposable screen protectors to protect the screen when I'm using it, styluses (if necessary), a legal copy of i-tunes, and I think that's about it. I think I'd need all of the above to make it worthwhile.

What GSM frequencies will it support (850MHz/900MHz/1800MHz/1900MHz)?

Most importantly, will I be able to get it unlocked and compatible with my SIM card?

Finally, yeah, it does look cool. I do kinda want one.

Edit: I re-read the link more thoroughly, and I have the answer to my last question: No I can't get it unlocked (Apple is evil afterall) and yes, it's compatible with my Cingular service, since it's exclusive to Cingular. That makes it harder. I don't want to agree to two more years of service. I like being contract-free. I don't think it's ever possible to be happy with a cellphone company, but Cingular's been mostly okay with me. Oh, they've pissed me off a few times, but they're not as bad as Verizon (with whom I refuse to do business) or Sprint. I'll have to think a little longer before I get a new phone, which sucks, because the one I have now has suffered the consequances of being in my pocket at work, and is practically useless without the bluetooth headset.

Last edited by ashlad on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, finally a cell phone that I want. I have been holding out on getting a new one for a long time simply because there is nothing "new" out there.

To bad the price tag is so high. Plus a two year contract? No thanks...for now.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching a bit of the keynote I see that it uses iTunes to sync. That's a huge minus in my book.

I hope to never in my life have iTunes installed.

My personal major issue with the ipod, aside from DRM, is the durability. The ipod has turned into disposable technology much like cell phones.

I know so many people who get a new phone every year because, "My last one was a piece of shit". Similarly I know people who have had 3, 4, or 5 iPods because they always break, or "My last one kept acting up"

As an aside, I hadn't heard about Media Player searching for illegal files, and I don't think I buy it until I see it. Aside from that I agree with Ashlad on most points Very Happy

I'll be interested to see the iPhone when it comes out.

Some answers:
500 and 600 bucks is the going rate for the 4 and 8 gig versions.

I'd assume it comes with many of the things you listed, but you'll probably need the bluetooth headset, and chargers seperately.

No stylus(It uses a finger touch screen). Not sure how that effects screen protectors, but it raises some intersting questions.

It has a proximity sensor to turn off the touch screen, and a switch so I'd guess unwanted bumps shouldn't be a big issue. Unwanted bumps aren't much of an issue with my Pocket PC phone.

I'll personally wait to see, and then wait for the EDVO version. EDGE is equivilant to double the speed of dial up where EDVO is closer to DSL. My current year old phone has EDVO, and is much much better.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the enV will be my next phone. With a two year contract (yuck!) it is only $150.00
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Samsung phone I've been considering.

It's simpler, probably more durable, cheaper, and not nearly as cool.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thin.

The thing I like most about the enV is that it is made by LG. I've never owned a phone by them that I wasn't happy with. For that matter I've always been really impressed with all of their products. If I had known that they made laptop computers before I bought my last one I would have bought that from them too.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:

I'll personally wait to see, and then wait for the EDVO version. EDGE is equivilant to double the speed of dial up where EDVO is closer to DSL. My current year old phone has EDVO, and is much much better.

Lotan

One thing I noticed and liked was it also has 802.11b/g.

"iPhone uses quad-band GSM, the global standard for wireless communications. It also supports Cingular’s EDGE network, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR, which links to Apple’s new, remarkably compact Bluetooth headset."

Did you also see the apple TV? I wonder if it is a crippled Mac Mini and I wonder how long they are hacked to be a $299 Mac Mini?

http://www.apple.com/appletv/
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing they didn't mention about it is if the U.S. model will work anywhere in the world. That is actually the reason I have my current cell phone, because I could use it from the ship overseas anytime we got close enough to land.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
The thing I like most about the enV is that it is made by LG. I've never owned a phone by them that I wasn't happy with.

Odd, 'Hatte and I have each had an LG phone, the same one in fact, and both come away equating LG with cheap crap. The LG name has been a deal-breaker with me for a while.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:

One thing I noticed and liked was it also has 802.11b/g.

My current one has that too... at least it has b. I'm not sure if it has g or not. I don't think I've ever turned it on.

At one point in time I had my home computer/tivo/phone all set up so that they could talk over the net. My idea was...

You don't need a HD or space on your phone/pda, you just need bandwidth. I could surf my pictures, movies, music, and tv shows all from my phone and wirelessly stream them.

The TV/Video was sketchy at times, but everything else worked out moderately well. It just took me a while to realize that I had no use for that stuff... oh well. It was a "Wow" factor when I'd bust out my phone and tell someone, "Pick a movie... Batman? Okay, wait 5 seconds" and boom there it was.

Lotan
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well LG does have the one issue that their products have shown a vulnerable to extreme gravitational fluxes so that could have been part of your problem.

Remember when shopping for items that may be used around "The Head" ensure that they are labeled "AFUAGH" (Approved For Use Around Giant Head)
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope to never in my life have iTunes installed.

Word.

Quote:
500 and 600 bucks is the going rate for the 4 and 8 gig versions.

I'd assume it comes with many of the things you listed, but you'll probably need the bluetooth headset, and chargers seperately.

I'd gleaned that much from the article--I do try to complete the required reading before posting--but only time and actual consumer reviews will answer that question properly. It was more or less food for thought.

I've got the headset, but after everything else, it'd be looking like $800+ and a two year contract, or $1100+ without the contract--which is silly anyway since it'll only work with Cingular until they make an unlocked model available. The thing about phones with a sponsoring service provider's name on 'em is that not only will they only work with that provider, but if you get 'em without the contract, they cost more than an unlocked phone, even without a new SIM card. I don't feel like paying bitch tax to make the phone less useful.

Quote:
No stylus(It uses a finger touch screen). Not sure how that effects screen protectors, but it raises some intersting questions.

It has a proximity sensor to turn off the touch screen, and a switch so I'd guess unwanted bumps shouldn't be a big issue. Unwanted bumps aren't much of an issue with my Pocket PC phone.

I think that's more wait and see. I'm more inclined to believe in the efficacy of the proximity sensors than the efficiency of the touchscreen without a stylus. On the other hand, I wonder how often the proximity sensor will make itself annoying when you're trying to operate the thing.

Quote:

Methinks that with the first availability of the phone being in June, I may as well pick up the Samsung and wait on the i-phone until it's available unlocked with the kinks worked out--EDVO and all that jazz--and the price lowered a tad (by lowered I mean $600 unlocked without a contract rather than $600 proprietary with a contract).

Last edited by ashlad on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you buddy.

A guy I work with who is a Mac nut is ready to go wait in line now. I'm happy to have him around to pay the money so that I can see it. It is definitely interesting.

Lotan
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely waiting for things to mature and cheapen, but I must say that Apple isn't known for releasing products that frustrate users. It's part of their brand to not do that. The touchscreen will work.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mishlai wrote:
I'm definitely waiting for things to mature and cheapen

But it is there thing to charge a premium and $600 AND a two year contract is ridiculous. It will not entice Treo or Blackberry users to switch unless they are hardcore Apple fans. I would not expect them to sell many phones at that price. The hardcore apple fans will buy them but I do not see how they could continue the product past this year at that price. It need to go down to atleast $299 with a 2 year contract.

If it was not a phone and just a PDA/Internet/Ipod/Video player and not even have the phone features, it would interest me more even at the 599$ price.

Also the new samsung BlackJack looks neat and is cheaper.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: PS3.

Okay, it's not a real word: eat me. They're going for about ~$750+ online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: