The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing they will. Verizon or Motorola seemed to be a little slow to the 2.1 party though.

I guess if worse comes to worse, the community will put something out there.

"Autoupdate" for apps seems fantastic. I get tired of telling it to download updates all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/24/motorola-expects-android-2-2-update-to-hit-droid-in-the-near-fu/

Motorola is saying the droid will get 2.2.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you think of ATT new pricing plans?

I guess verizon and T-Mobile will follow suit soon and rip us all off for data! Mad
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge deal for me as I only use about 250MB a month.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after years of putting it off, I finally bit the bullet and got my wife and I both smart phones. I joined the evil empire. I actually was leaning towards Android at first, but trying to pick a damn Android phone is too much of a chore, and the ones I actually liked were $299 with my upgrade discount. Fuck that, I just got both of us the iPhone 4 for $99 each, I know exactly what I'm getting, and it was easy to pick which one I wanted. Black or white? hmmm... tough choice...

I entertained the thought of the 4S for about 5 seconds, but then realized that Siri isn't that important to me, nor is the camera and extra processing, so why spend another $200?
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryken wrote:
So after years of putting it off, I finally bit the bullet and got my wife and I both smart phones. I joined the evil empire. I actually was leaning towards Android at first, but trying to pick a damn Android phone is too much of a chore, and the ones I actually liked were $299 with my upgrade discount. Fuck that, I just got both of us the iPhone 4 for $99 each, I know exactly what I'm getting, and it was easy to pick which one I wanted. Black or white? hmmm... tough choice...

I entertained the thought of the 4S for about 5 seconds, but then realized that Siri isn't that important to me, nor is the camera and extra processing, so why spend another $200?

This is exactly why Apple has been so successful.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used both, prefer Android. Will be sticking with that.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Used both, prefer Android. Will be sticking with that.

Yeah, my only hands on experience was with my sister-in-law's iPhone and the tablets. At work, I test on both an iPad and a Xoom on a regular basis, and to be honest, I prefer Android as well over iOS, at least on those. And I'm one of the few people on the planet, apparently, who doesn't like working on a Mac desktop vs a Windows.

The problem is, I don't care enough to make up a $200 difference (per phone), and I'm not familiar enough with the 8 million fucking Android phones to know which of the cheap ones are worth it and will provide the same experience that I KNOW the iPhone will provide. Too bad, too, because I honestly wanted to go that route for the longest time. Can't say I'm disappointed right now, either.

Buddy Lee wrote:
This is exactly why Apple has been so successful.

Indeed.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to mention something else that influenced my decision. The guy at the Verizon store said that the Android phones run a ton of background updates that eat up your monthly data limit pretty quickly. That was a huge turn-off.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryken wrote:
Oh, forgot to mention something else that influenced my decision. The guy at the Verizon store said that the Android phones run a ton of background updates that eat up your monthly data limit pretty quickly. That was a huge turn-off.

In my experience, the Verizon guys don't know much unfortunately. They're the same ones that tell you to install a task killer. I believe right now you get 4 gig of data usage on Verizon(They have some double data plan, right?). App updates aren't going to eat in to that too much.

As a point of reference, I used 328 megabytes last month. I don't surf too much on my phone since I have the Xoom, but I do use it for nav, email, app updates, etc. I leave the wifi off on the phone all the time as well.

It sounds like you made the right choice though. One thing that I think is really hurting Android is that they give you a lot more "cheap" options. Unfortunately, they mostly suck. My brother in law got the "free" android phone 2 years ago, and it's just not hanging in there so well. I'd kind of like to see Google put the hammer down on quality a little. They said they were going to at the last IO. I'm not sure if that's gone in to effect yet or not.

As I said in the other thread. If you're on Verizon and going to buy an android phone, I think the only choice right now is to wait a week or two for the Nexus, and that's probably going to be 300 bucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my experience, the Verizon guys don't know much unfortunately.

Such as the difference between dollars and cents.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, installing a task killer is pretty good advice as far as I'm concerned, but I have unlimited data usage, so there's no issue with the updates. And I routinely eat up gigabytes with no slowdown of service yet. But it is Verizon after all, so I'm expecting some kind of posterior pounding at some point.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Well, installing a task killer is pretty good advice as far as I'm concerned

Any particular reason?

Android (And many OSs) was designed to not use one. "Free Memory" gives no performance gains in Android the way it can in say Windows, and in fact having "Free Memory" is generally considered a waste.

The one place where it does make a difference is if you have an application that's doing stupid stuff in the background. This is an indication of a poorly written app. Android generally does a pretty good job of killing those off on it's own though.

I guess some of the newer ones show CPU cycles, and that could be useful for diagnosing a crappy app.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware anyone used task killers for the purposes of memory. I use it to conserve battery power. Most apps have some sort of background activity, which adds up to a significant drain. I've managed to almost double my daily battery life.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you doubled your battery life, you have an app that is doing something stupid, or something is wrong with your phone.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. Haven't found anything out of the ordinary so far. But I do have a lot of apps.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:
It sounds like you made the right choice though. One thing that I think is really hurting Android is that they give you a lot more "cheap" options. Unfortunately, they mostly suck. My brother in law got the "free" android phone 2 years ago, and it's just not hanging in there so well. I'd kind of like to see Google put the hammer down on quality a little. They said they were going to at the last IO. I'm not sure if that's gone in to effect yet or not.

As I said in the other thread. If you're on Verizon and going to buy an android phone, I think the only choice right now is to wait a week or two for the Nexus, and that's probably going to be 300 bucks.

Yeah, I feel pretty good about my decision so far. I think seeing Google do that would be a good thing, but at this point, would it be too little, too late? (ex: Google+) Having a quality product doesn't always matter when you wait too long to fine tune what you have representing you in the market.

Lotan wrote:
In my experience, the Verizon guys don't know much unfortunately.

HAHA If that's the case, then I'm hopelessly screwed. I don't know phones. I don't WANT to know phones. I don't know why, but they just don't interest me like that. I just want it to work. Smile
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryken wrote:

If you got the Droid Razr they had a special to get 4gb/mo instead of 2gb/mo.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
If you got the Droid Razr they had a special to get 4gb/mo instead of 2gb/mo.

That's not much of a draw for me, considering the phone cost $200 more than the iPhone I got. I don't expect to use 2gb, much less 4gb, and if I change my mind, I can increase my data package to 5gb for only $20/month more. Plus, assuming the guy was right and the data usage was eaten up by updates, how am I ahead in that scenario?

I'm not a brand loyalist, especially with phones. It just didn't make sense to me at this point to go with an Android, and I haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as smartphone data consumption goes, Android sucks down the most, iPhone uses a good amount less, and BlackBerry the least, since everything is compressed.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: