The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I love you NCsoft...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: I love you NCsoft... Reply with quote

*kiss*
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks cool, but I find the micro-payment thing to be deeply offensive. It's like bribing the DM. How is that fair to the players with less money. I play games to escape my sad class in life, not to be reminded of it.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did too, but depending on how it ends up working, what's the difference between that and buy an expansion other than it's smaller? You can customize the expansion in this way because you don't have to buy parts that you don't need. I'm curious how it'll turn out in that aspect, admittedly.
It makes no sense to me.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that an expansion expands the game world, makes new races available, etc.

The micro payment system is actually allowing you to upgrade yourself by paying for it rather than "earning" the improvements in-game. Players who do not buy the upgrades would be at a disadvantage during game play.

I haven't played, so I can't tell you how the balance is actually affected, but here's some of the stuff for sale:

http://www.exteel.com/us/itemshop/index.html

It sounds like you gain a definite edge by buying the upgrades (or why would you buy them?), and that assaults my sense of fairness in gameplay.

To be fair, this kind of thing goes on anyway with the chinese gold farmers and such, but somehow the institutionalized whoring offends me more than the whoring that just springs up from demand. It could be that the micropayment system is actually more fair than the character and item buying that plagued other MMOs.

I'm sort of a purist about these things. I just don't think real world economics should enter a game.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all we know these parts add different elements of game play instead of hopped up versions of the standard stuff. What if someone wants to make a bot that does repairs? Why would they want to buy a $40 expansion that would have the class they want vs buying the repair parts? All I'm saying is that, while I am slightly concerned, there's no telling how it is without seeing it so why start throwing stones and downing anything at this point?
It makes no sense to me.

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I don't care for about this micro-payment system is that in order to advance you WILL NEED to pay for it. Skill no longer matters much.

I can be a prodegy playing this game, but if I'm not paying to play it, some punk with no skill whatsoever can wipe me because he pays $15/month (or whatever). And since this game is strictly a PvP experience (at least from what I read), you cannot hope to compete unless you pay more.

From a business standpoint, this is an incredibly awesome idea, but I don't know how well it would fare. If you net <($15/month)/person [the standard cost to play now] then you are not going to get as much as you would otherwise. It's a gamble.

From a wealthy player's point of view, this is the best idea I can think of. I can now get maximum potential with minimal time just by spending a few extra dollars a month.

From a non-wealthy players point of view, this blows ass. Unless there is a way to earn in-game currency to purchase the items to upgrade, there is really no way of progressing. Sure, you will be the best rubberband shooting, aluminum foil armor mecha you can be, but you will still get "WTF PWNED!" by a body with a credit card.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing I don't care for about this micro-payment system is that in order to advance you WILL NEED to pay for it. Skill no longer matters much.

I'm not sure where it says that... I see that the basic system is in place and that if you want different stuff then you buy it. I definately don't see where it says paying on a per month basis and there is in-game money. For all we know, $2.00 will open a group of weapons up for sale that fills a niche.

The item shop that was linked specifically says "in-game", for the record. There are upgrades in-game.

The game says "micropayment" in one place and it says that it gives new chassis and other things. If you read below that, you'll also read that you level up and such. I'd like to point out this quote :

Quote:
As a pilot gains levels in certain weapon classes, he or she gains bonuses to those particular weapons. These bonuses can include greater damage, faster reload time, etc.

If the game sets you up with dudes and there's some that are higher level, obviously they will have an advantage. It they have better weapons, they'll have an advantage. The question is how much advantage. It's NCsoft, which many of us have dealt with, some of us on multiple occasions. I'd like to think that most of us are of the opinion that this isn't SOE. I'd like to think that there will be some balance to it and skill plays in a lot more than numbers. It is an action game, after all.

I'd like to see the link to where it says some thing more specific about micropayment before I make any decisions. The description (in this LINK) of what it actually will entail is a little vague to base an actual decision on.

As an additional, but related, question, when we played MW4, who here had the mech packs? They came with, I don't know, mechs, weapons? For all we know it adds the stuff to the store and you can buy them indefinately... like an expansion...
It makes no sense to me.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be right Lee, I'm just deeply suspicious of micropayments generally, and that has nothing to do with NCsoft or this game.

Fucking act like it.

Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am right. They haven't posted anything that means anything so there isn't a reason to bring politics and economics into a thread about giant robots until it becomes a factor. You guys remind me of this in the way you guys escalated off of a single sentence.

And on the actual subject.. Giant robots.

At the end of the movie when it talks about upgrading, I liked that rotory cannon. I'm really curious what kinds of weapons/skills they'll have, particularly melee. The movie kind of reminded me of Robotech.

Has anyone else caught the similarity in the art to CoH/CoV?

-C

... And Mishlai will eat tires for licorice!
It makes no sense to me.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a single sentence, I poked through a bit of the site, and that's the impression I got. I acknowledge that I haven't played it, and can't possibly know how things really are, but I do try to sort out whether I'm going to like something before comitting any resources to it. I'm suspicious.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Guild Wars got it right. Here you go, FREE! If Gmail can give you 250 gigs of mail space for free(and hotmail as well, I've been with them since they started up, so I don't have to pay for jack), then a game company should be able to give their customers some free service online.
Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, two sentences. The "**" leads to the bottom.

Either way, I'm signed up to try to get into beta. The BEB was forged by robots.
It makes no sense to me.

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did too.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did somebody say "giant robots"?
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, fine. I applied too.

Fucking act like it.

Leedon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else download the E3 trailer in the download section? I like the fast paced look to it. I have hopes that there's a guild/clan/unit system, as I haven't seen one mentioned. I also haven't seen much about any system for players to interact other than combat. Would we be able to trade items, for example?

If they support it, I'd have the BEB logos ready to wear in an instant.

As of what I read an account has one pilot. There's some sort of system that if your mecha gets blown up, it uses the next mecha you have in some sort of order, up to four total, though it appears you can have more. One of the things you can microbuy looks like extra robot spots, but I see that as not a big deal since extra spots won't apply to combat, just give you an extra loadout that you can swap in or out.

For those who are worried, remember sprint and dash from CoH? Those people who bought the super special pre-order edition got a super special power. Sprint makes you run fast. Dash makes you run fast, but dash had the game-breaking colorful blur behind it. The most game breaking part? The part where you had the option to use either one you wanted to run just as fast as if you used the other. I hear that they have wings that you can put on your character these days to make your flying look good, too.

To actually say what I suspect for payment is it's like Guild Wars. Buy the game, make an account, play the game online. That's how it says on the site. Instead of having a special big $40 expansion, you have a bunch of mini expansions, so to speak. Now, I have no clue if what you buy gets added to the in-game store and is permanent to your account or goes straight to your mecha, but it would be nice fi it added it to the store. I suspect that the micropayment stuff may be slightly better sometimes, but I also supect that it'll have a decent portion of it be flashy mecha body parts and other things that have equivalents that come with the game, but have a different look to them, or fill a special niche(like adding a class in an expansion). I noticed that the ** had specifically listed "paintcans" and "body parts". That guy's shiney cherry red chassis he paid for with the weapon that's the same as mine, but looks more cool is only going to be prettier than ours before we blow holes in it.

-Lee
It makes no sense to me.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're right, that's a system I could be happy with.

Fucking act like it.

Leedon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all how you read it.

... more powerful weapons...
-or-
... more powerful weapons...

My thoughts are based off of previous dealings with the company in Lineage, CoH/CoV, and Guild Wars. I'd also like to think that if someone gets the game to see if they like it and logs in with normal parts then they won't totally suck. I could be completely wrong, but we haven't seen anything in writing so why start complaining.

I like a lot of the system they have going. I like the art and the animation. Though I don't like the twin pistols on a giant robot, I've been known to make smaller robots in PSU that have twin pistols. Maybe it'll grow on me. It can't stop me from loving giant robots.

Here's an interview that might shed some light on a few things.

I have to say, I like light/medium sized mecha in most games but some of those weapons make me want a heavy. I wonder how light I can make something that has a blade weapon, an offhand ranged weapon, and swarm missiles...

-C
It makes no sense to me.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward.

I was always a fan of medium to light myself. Mostly light. I used to run these 30 or 35 tonners in battle tech with heavy jump jets and some medium to light range weaponry.

Terrain permitting, I could rape a much larger mech.

Fucking act like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: