The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supreme Commander
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't compare the two because I never played TA.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best session I played I got a 100% kil ratio for both sides. My army got demolished, so I ran around with my commander using his D-Gun taking out the rest of the enemy and pillaging the metal from my former army to refill it. Finally I ran into the last few enemies that had sight ranges equal to his D-Gun range, and they ganged up on him. As I was about to croak, I hit self destruct. No more bad guys. I still lost though, one of the objectives was to keep my commander alive. But damn it was awesome.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty similar game. You can scavenge metal, the commander is a formidable unit, and I'm not sure if he can actually self-destruct, but when he dies he goes boom. It is not a little boom.

I'm finding that the upgrade my commander screen is glitchy, when I hover over a button to see the descriptio of the upgrade, the screen goes all twitchy on me. Haven?

Also, the single play missions have a tendency to experience... scope creep. They just keep opening up new areas of the map and feeding you more objectives. It's cool on the one hand, but on the other you can't really predict how long it will take you to finish the mission. Plus it feels like you're never done. The battles are fast but the play is slow...

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Rovont
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mishlai, I'll be happy to play some multiplayer when I upgrade my computer. It seems as though the muliplay will be awesome, hopefully atleast...
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

Fucking act like it.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you guys! I've been avoiding even reading this tread for fear of becoming addicted to the game but you just have to keep posting to it, which means I keep clicking on online games and being reminded of it.

Damn you!
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be as simple as a video driver issue, Mish. Have you done all the usual stuff, update drivers, check to make sure your card is compatible with the game etc?
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...you might be right about the boom thing. It may have been killed by them and they perished in the nuclear blast. The area of effect was pretty much the entire screen. It was the late 90s when I played it last.........time to reinstall!
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still the same general storyline? The original it was just two armies, the Core and the Arm, that were fighting so long war was the only thing to do anymore. They downloaded their consciousness into their war machines so they could fight for as many millenia as it took to kill off the enemy to the last man, and they eventually became almost entirely mechanical races.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have typical humans, cyber-dorks, and cult-freaks. I started playing the cult-freaks just for something different.

The cybers broke off when they became persecuted by humanity, and the Aeon met some alien race and learned "the way" from them. The aliens were killed off ultimately, but their kool-aid drinkers are still with us.

I haven't done anything with my video drivers; I guess I should check that. If the card isn't supported then oh well. It's a laptop, and even if it's possible to change the card out I'm not doing it. You're not experiencing glitches I take it? Yay for alienware.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I like the original story better. Maybe this is supposed to be set thousands of years before TA, when everyone was still recognizably biological. That would be pretty cool. I'm just going to think of it that way. Hopefully I'll have the time to grab it this weekend.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd could be screwing it up too, it's not like I've got infantry running around anywhere.

Fucking act like it.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven & I did some multiplay last night. It was painful to get going, but we had a good time once it worked.

It was basically a 2 vs 1 tard to get us warmed up. He was a serious tard. I guess it doesn't help that we went straight for bombers and didn't let him build anything.

Anyway, lot more fun factor for me than the 1 player. I'm looking forward to more.

Fucking act like it.

Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty fun. Their multiplayer interface was apparently designed by the proverbial "7 million monkeys typing for 7 million years", but once you get into the game proper, it works pretty smoothly.

Only other gripe is that the maps are all very symmetrical. We need to do some map-editting.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some of my problem, I think.

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?t=2691&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Patch not out yet.

Fucking act like it.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played a skirmish last night. It was long... very long. Like, I don't want to do this anymore and I wonder what's going on outside long.

I learned some things at the end though, very important things.

First, if you build a strategic defense system, it comes with missiles, but you must rebuild the ones you use or one day a nuke will destroy the vast majority of your city.

At this point most of my army had been destroyed by city defenses, and my city was essentially gone. I was damn close to starting from zero, though somehow I had a negative energy income of about 1700. It was probably the 3 super robots that had not yet arrived at the enemy city (they're slow, and the assault was poorly coordinated.) It was actually my intention to wipe out their strategic defenses and nuke them, but they nuked my nukes so that plan was past its expiration date.

This brings me to the second lesson. It isn't strictly necessary to destroy the enemy city. You just need to kill his ACU, which my 3 super-robots did, quite by accident, just before the last one croaked.

So there was my ACU standing in the shambles of his radioactive ex-city, trying to take out loans from the galactic bank to pay for the costs to rebuild. Facing certain death at the hands of a military-industrial complex that is very conscipicuously not-nuked. And then, victorious. Victorious in the same way that Inspector Gadget always is - proud, clueless, and undeserving of any credit whatsoever.

That brings us to lesson 3.

Sometimes, just sometimes... Luck > Skill.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. One thing I hated about TA was that the AI built nukes, but did not use them. There was no way I can remember to make them do so, even on the highest difficulty. And even on the highest difficulty, it was way too easy to squash them. Once you had air power, you were certain to win.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was mid-level difficulty. "Challenge" They also have some terrain specific AI strategies, and then the best one which picks the most appropriate terrain specific AI. I haven't played any of those. I think I should first be able to beat the mid-level AI in less than 3 hours.

Fucking act like it.

Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or be able to beat it at all...

Sometimes this game is like wrestling a wet bar of soap...

Fucking act like it.

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... in that fighting with it is almost pointless, but either in victory or defeat, you're left feeling clean and fresh?

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: