The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

H2G2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: H2G2 Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm vaguely familiar with the books(Never read them), and played the game a little as a kid, so I'm not much of a critic for this movie, but I did go see it with some friends this weekend.

Its hard to believe, but I think it may have been too nerdy even for me, and that's saying a lot.

I'm interested to hear what someone who knows what they're talking about thought though.

Ana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know what H2G2 stood for.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2G2=HHGG=Hitchhikers Guide to the Gallaxy
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Two H's and Two G's.

I saw the movie last Firday. I can respect the changes they made to try and make it more mainstream (like the budding romance), but I guess I went in there hoping for the full first book, much like the old PBS TV series but with modern special effects. The BBC series kept pretty true to the books, and there were some divergences in H2G2 that bothered the part of me that cared. I also could've done without the musical "So long and thanks for all the fish" number.

As for praise for the movie, I loved the effects of the ship entering and leaving the realms of normal probablility. I liked the animations they used for the book itself. I also appreciated the nod to the BBC series when they turned the Vogon ship sideways, showing the 3D "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," complete with the music. That's how every episode of the BBC series started, and I know I appreciated it.

I believe the voices for Marvin and the Book were done by the same people who did them in the BBC series. If I'm wrong, then they at least choose some good people for it because they did a good job. I liked the representation of Deep Thought too. When first you see it, it looks thoughtful. The next time, it looks bored. They did a good job with that. Of course, I also enjoyed Marvin.

Things that should've been there that were missing:
    -The entire intro. The narration where we are introduced to the primitive planet of Earth, whose inhabitants still think digital watches are a good idea. Not to mention the girl in the resturaunt who suddenly realized how people could be nice to each other, and this time no-one would have to be nailed to a cross.
    -The description of the Vogon ships as "Big, yellow slab-like somethings that hung in the air much in the same way that bricks don't."
    -The cooks for the Vogons, who were the ones who picked up Arthur and Ford. All they needed was a brief mention, but that was missing.
    -The explanation of how the Babel Fish caused God to "disappear in a puff of logic."
    -In the guide lesson talking about the Vogons, they missed the part that the best way to piss them off is to feed their grandmother to the Ravenous Bugbladder Beast of Traal (sp?).
    -The pain in the diodes of Marvin's leg (In the fourth book, where he dies, he comments to them how every one of his parts has been replaced hundreds of times except, and at this part he almost smiles, and he then asks them if they remember him telling them of the pain in the diodes in his leg. And if they can guess which part of him has never, ever been replaced. He then expired after reading God's final message to his creation, which amounted to "We apologize for the inconvienience."
    -The explanation of how the improbability drive was created, and the accompanying story.
    -The list can go on and on.

Overall, I liked the movie. If you're looking for a faithful movie version of the original book then you'll be disappointed. But if you can take it as an almost but not quite as zany as the original knock-off version, then you may like it.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... Hitchhiker is one word.  Wouldn't HG2 work better?  Or just FRIGGIN TYPE OUT THE WORD "HITCHHIKER"!

I think that would have worked out good too.

Don't go see any movie if you are looking for a true representation of a book.  Even the Prequals.  Those books were written after the movie was made and they are still not the same in all respects.  One should only go see a movie for what it is meant to be.  Entertainment.  If you are critiquing a movie then you had best be getting paid for it.  Otherwise you are a loser.... and yes, I do fall into the category of loser for more movies than I care to think about.

That was not directed at Glistam, just a comment to everyone, myself included, who think that a movie has diverted from the book/comic.

I really like the musical, which is why I opted for that phrase as my sig.  In fact, I really liked the whole movie.  For some reason, the part about the bowl of petunias thinking  "Oh crap!  Not again!" had me laughing so hard I missed the next 10 minutes of the movie.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unnecessary Abbreviation is one of my biggest pet peeves.  The whole Y2K thing drove me positively batshit.  Why we can't just type things out is beyond me, and somehow I can't just LOL it away as crass Americanism.  I dunno, somehow it just bothers me.  Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy was one of my favorite book series ever (I re-read the whole mess of 'em about every three years) and I loved the BBC version too, almost as much because of as in spite of its low-budget cheesiness.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of you who have done more than one version of h2g2(yup, i'm lazy), you will know that every version is different.  i have the radio show, and it differs greatly from the books.  so does the video game.  so really, that the movie was different was expected to me, not a surprize.  it cut some of the bits that i liked, like the ones that glistam mentioned, but hey, what do you want?  they only had two hours to work with.  the bbc one, while more true to the books, was also a miniseries, not a movie.  as for the voices, i'm not sure who the narrator was, but Marvin was Alan Rickman, who wasn't the guy for the bbc one.  good casting though.  i especially liked the guy for Slartibartfast.  he is one of my favorite actors to laugh at.  i've only seen him in three things, love actually, h2g2, and underworld.  of the three, it was hard to take him seriously in underworld after seeing love actually.  somehow i kept expecting the head vampire to snort.  it cracked me up.
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the movie with Glistam, and here is what I thought about it:

The movie managed to suspend itself in the middle of mediocraty in much the same way that bricks don't. It wasn't edgy enough for a cult following saying "That movie rocked!" nor will the people, whom I will call "Action Heads*" particualrly want to go see it because it is too geeky, but they might. In fact, the movie mangaed to set itself in such a way that I deem it "Mostly Harmless". Don't get me wrong, the movie was funny and kept some of the classic skits, but it needed to choose a target audience and give them a movie.

*(you know those people who think movies like XXX or The Scorpion King are excelent cinema but if you ask them if they ever saw CItitzen Kane they would  laugh because they remember it was referenced in the Simpsons)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcoal_tIMC wrote:
but if you ask them if they ever saw CItitzen Kane they would  laugh because they remember it was referenced in the Simpsons)

Hahaha! I saw that episode! Did you ever see the one...
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ordered my copy yesterday
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the BBC movie, and it was an extremely faithful rendering of the book. That's all I really ask for.

All of the things that are listed as missing in the new movie are precisely what made the books so fucking funny.

I'm going to skip this one. I just love Douglas Adams too much.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was telling Yobun not too long ago, just get past the fish song int eh beginning, and the movie is worth the price of a rental solely for the scenes where they deal with the probability drive effects.

While the movie wasn't completely faithful to the books, the HHGttG books themselves weren't completely faithful to the radio dramas. I agree that the BBC series was very faithful to the first two books, but the movie was good in it's own right. Less funny than the books, but with it's good moments.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie seemed like a big spoof on Bush 2.
The guy who was the president of the galaxy even sounded like bush.
And seemed stupid and careless.
I've only watched 1/2 of it so far, finishing the rest tomarrow.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to have to say this, but have you bothered to read the books? zaphod was, well, pretty much zaphod. if that makes him a bush spoof, douglas adams was pretty good at predicting the future, as zaphod predates bush's public life by a good 15 or 20 years.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Bush doesn't have two heads though. I think the comparison fails at that point.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never read the book.

But lines like I'm the president, I don't read. In a bush voice have to be there for humor and comparison
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. thats pretty much zaphod in a nutshell.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go with Immyls on this. Zaphod was pretty true to his character from the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: