The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussion: Supreme Court Rulings
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Discussion: Supreme Court Rulings Reply with quote

I'm making one thread to cover their decisions because I don't want to make a new one every time they do something that catches my eye.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Court rules out schools' racial balancing

the court ruled unconstitutional the practice of "racial balancing", a tool used by thousands of US school districts to seek integration of the country's still largely segregated schools.

Link

I agree with the court. Using race to determine who can go to what school is clearly discrimination. I would think a much better solution would be to mix students in schools based on their financial back ground. It would allow for mixing between different demographics to occure without directly pitting people of different races against eachother.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I prefer what you suggested, this is one of the only race based initiatives that I supported. I hope they do what you suggest, because the little bit of desegregation that this provides would be a shame to lose.

People tend to clump with the familiar and similar, and then they fear the unknown, and it just perpetuates. Not that years of doing this have ended racism, but it seems like it would help, or rather that things might get worse in its absence.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
much better solution would be to mix students in schools based on their financial back ground

If you did that, I think Sharpton and James would be all over it in a heartbeat. They would just as readily use the apparent difference in financial accessibility\prowess between blacks and whites as they would population, district of origin, or cultural reasons. I agree with the court absolutely, though. I also think affirmative action should go.

Black people of the United States, hear me: I don't owe you a fucking thing. I don't give one tiny little shit about slavery. It was bad, it happened long before any of us, it is still an horrible plague today in your former native continent, and that's all perpetrated by your own race. There is no such thing as inheriting the sins of your fathers, it is a completely retarded concept. Not a single black alive today has experienced slavery. Racism, perhaps, but there's no comparison. Unless you have been alive for the past 200 years, you are owed nothing. Let me address the lowest common denominators of black society: get over yourselves, stop shooting eachother, stop ruining your own infrastructures, stay in school(and pay fucking attention), and get jobs when you graduate. Now let me address the rest of black society: you should round up and execute the lowest common denominators. They're just holding you back, they dont want to change, and they don't want help aside from handouts. Actually, this argument seems to work for every race. Anyway, /rant.

Quite a digression, I must say, but I feel better for it. I'm off to revel in my ethnically challenged-ness.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also think affirmative action should go.

Yep.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you completely on affirmative action.

All I'm supporting is the idea that children in all white areas and children in all black areas both gain something by going to school together.

Financial disparity is definitely the better way to address everything that is currently categorized under affirmative action.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh. Grants or scholarships, sure. Employment, no.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean use economic status for grants and scholarships right? I agree.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Creating better economic opportunities for those with smaller means I could get behind. But scholarships and grants should only go to students who have proven that they are worth the investment, regardless of any kind of background. Hard work should be rewarded, not circumstance.

Quote:
All I'm supporting is the idea that children in all white areas and children in all black areas both gain something by going to school together.

I'm all for it, but how would you address transportation from areas that are entirely comprised of one people? These things cost money, and while it might be worth the investment from an idealistic standpoint, it isn't from an economic one. I am completely for parents' right to choose schools, but if they want to do that it should be their financial responsibility. Besides, my high school was very much multi-racial. And every race kept to their own. So much for integration.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a step up from hardly seeing them. And yeah, it costs money. I accept that.

Merit is still important, but a B in the ghetto and a B in Beverly Hills are not equal, and accounting for that will help kids in shitty circumstances work their way to better futures, which is win win. I'd rather that guy ultimately make $50k/yr at IBM than cost me $50k/yr in San Quentin, and if I need to invest some money up front during his childhood, that's all good.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The education is the same, though. Perhaps you could argue the materials aren't the same quality, but most inner city schools are fully stocked with everything necessary for a good education. Offering a more integrated environment does nothing to get kids paying attention in class. Your idea definitely wouldn't hurt, I'm just saying I don't think it will make a difference.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Creating better economic opportunities for those with smaller means I could get behind.

That's almost vague enough to get you congressional creds. Care to explain?
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just the point, I don't have any better ideas. But I'm smart enough to be able to poke holes in other people's ideas. I think I have a great chance at the Democratic Primaries.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. I'll vote Republican.

Honestly, nothing'd be better than the current state of affirmative action. Take that the way it's meant.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I knew how you meant it, I would be happy to.
ashlad
Brigadier Remembered
Brigadier Remembered

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mm, more irony.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if they just used physical location? If you live on this block, you go to this school. If that, then that.

Pretty simple to me.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongolio wrote:
How about if they just used physical location? If you live on this block, you go to this school. If that, then that.

Pretty simple to me.

That's kind of what one of the justices suggested in his opinion (can't remember which one off hand). He suggested that in the future the schools better locate themselves so that the districts have a more diverse makeup.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about if they just used physical location? If you live on this block, you go to this school.

Um....that's what they do now. If you live in a certain area, you have to go to a certain school, or one of the schools offered within your district. This is further limited by school size and distance. Otherwise, you have to send them to a private school. This is why the parental choice movement was started, they wanted to be able to send their kids anywhere they choose but still make the taxpayers shell out for transportation.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pell grants are need based aid.

Texas has a program where the top 10% of each high school gets acceptance and tuition to state colleges. This doesn't favor the economically depressed, but it does allow competition among others of similar educational background, instead of just statewide competition based on standardized testing. That evens the field some.

That sort of thing. I'm actually a fan of making the public school system state funded rather than county funded. I don't think that the children of poor areas should have shittier public schools, and they do. Public schools should be equally funded per capita in a given state.

Just an idea. And I don't agree on the school funding thing Crush, if the money didn't matter to education quality, then affluent communities should be calling to de-fund the difference in their schools because all of that extra money is being wasted.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
state funded rather than county funded. I don't think that the children of poor areas should have shittier public schools, and they do. Public schools should be equally funded per capita in a given state.

I could get behind this.

Quote:
if the money didn't matter to education quality

I'm saying that most inner city schools have been funded well enough to provide a good education and turn out better students. They just don't. Damn kids just don't want to buckle down. Lots of blame to go around, parents, teachers, kids, society, the man.....the money isn't the real problem. And integration isn't part of the equation at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: