The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Job Opportunity for me
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice, Khimaira! Did you ever end up getting your operators license out in California?
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "pig story" continues...

My supervisor out here is a little five foot nothing, blonde woman who is a bit more reactionary than any given moment requires. She's also fairly spastic in thought and deed, has a southern accent, and was probably quite a looker 10 or 15 years ago.

On the other side of the office, seperated into his own office within the larger one, is a senior warehouse manager. He's Venezuelan, mild mannered, in his late 40's, and fairly soft spoken.

Too-Short-Shorts stopped by again this morning. This time wearing pants, thankfully, and a wide-striped, rainbow colored shirt. He stopped by to see if there was any new information on his pigs. There isn't, unfortunately, and he is informed that the search continues.

After he leaves the office, the Blonde leans back in her chair, looks over her shoulder, and shouts across the office, "Did you save those emails on the pigs?"
Venezuelan calmly replies from the other side of the wall, "No, I don't save emails."
"Those were important pigs! We have to find those pigs”, exclaims the visibly distraught blonde with a stomp of her foot! She is now standing and looking deeply concerned about the whereabouts of said pigs.

The pigs, it seems, are of truly great importance.

Meanwhile, I just keep my head down, try not to laugh too loud, and continue about my work.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khimaira, where do you plan on getting your degree from? Are you going for a masters in International Business or just a BA?
khimaira
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't understand how important pigs are... well, I can't explain it to you!

No license for me. I'm in 2 online classes now while working 6x12's. Counseling for planning out my college years and Intro to Project Management.

I'll get a B.A. in Business Economics with International Specialization from UCI, a Project Management Certificate from UCI, and then M.A. in Project Management from University of Wisconsing online (my WI GI Bill will cover it). Somewhere, I'll throw in some business psychology and Chinese Mandarin.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My team at Amazon got dissolved a couple of weeks ago and I got moved over to the Kindle for Android team. It's a cool enough project, and probably one of the most downloaded non-Google apps, but I don't think I'll be staying long.

Chances are that I'll be accepting a position at Amazon GameCircle in the next month or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only complaint about the Android app is not being able to swipe up/down to skip between chapters.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll mention that if I'm on the team for long. Although, it might be better if you did it through the official app feedback. Amazon is super crazy about the customer, and I'm fairly certain that one of the developers on the team has to read all of the crap that people send in.

An unexpected perk: I got to see a recently announced, not available to the public big name phone in the office yesterday.

It never occurred to me, but Kindle is so big that device manufacturers want to make sure it runs on their phone before they release it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that, on my phone, the Kindle app is probably the 7th most used app. And it is only that low because of various communication apps above it for different specific purposes:

- Google Voice for international texts
- Facebook Messenger for U.S. based chat
- WhatsApp for international chat (holy crap do the Spanish love this app)
- Facebook App
- Gmail
- Google Maps
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after my dinner and drinks at the U.S. Embassy last night, I think I may have actually found a career path which I'm genuinely interested in pursuing - Foreign Services Officer.

I have a ton of additional reserach to do, starting with exactly how difficult it is to qualify and whether I could pull it off.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked into what it takes to become a Foreign Service Officer, I've come to three conclusions:

1) It takes a long time to achieve the goal, upwards of two years. Basically, from what I've read, as soon as you even start to think about becoming one, go ahead and sign up for the Foreign Services Exam.

2) It takes a lot of work to qualify to become a Foreign Service Officer. There are multiple hurdles which must be passed including three distinct phases of testing involving the "Spies Like Us" test, multiple writting tests, and an all day oral board/interview.

3) Being ex-military gives me a significant leg up compared to non-military personnel seeking placement. My military experience is actually more valuable than a college degree based on what I've been reading.

Edit: I think I'm going to plan on taking the test next summer. That will give me a little over a year to prepare for it.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotan wrote:

An unexpected perk: I got to see a recently announced, not available to the public big name phone in the office yesterday.

I would guess the S4 or HTC One. But you do not need to answer.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
I would guess the S4 or HTC One. But you do not need to answer.

Wink
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I continue thinking about a possible FSO career the one big hang up that I keep hitting is that it would force me to support, pretty much without question, the policies of an organization (and individuals) who I vehemently oppose in many instances.

I keep trying to justify it to myself but the more I think about it, the more I realize that it probably just isn't a compromise I can bring myself to make...
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait, you don't want to push foreign policy when it doesn't mesh with your personal views? next you are going to claim you want to think for yourself. sheesh.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually could handle pushing foreign policy that doesn't mesh with my personal views, to a point. Somewhere along the way though, be it the hundredth drone strike resulting in the death of innocent bystanders, the murder of American citizens by their government, imprisoning more of its citizens than any other country on earth, or the Executive Branch yet again violating the constitutional limits on war powers, an individual has got to admit that our government is really not an organization that you would want to associate with by choice.

I wonder if Canada needs FSOs? Sweden maybe?
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. i'm mostly just in it cause they have promised to give me a couple of K's every month for the rest of my life once this hitch is done. You know, so that when i do finally finish, i won't have to get a real job. just a play job, supplemented by the government. so, maybe college professor or something.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was one of the main reasons I wasn't sure if I wanted to work for Raytheon. I'd rather do science that does something useful and not be a part of the military industrial complex.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely work for the evil Military-Industrial Complex. They just pay me to be outside and out of mind. I'll take it.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsanto has had GIS job advertisements where I am interested in moving to but never submitted my application.
Not interested in working for them.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhatte wrote:
I definitely work for the evil Military-Industrial Complex. They just pay me to be outside and out of mind. I'll take it.

Yeah, my sticking point isn't so much with working for the government (there are plenty of government positions I would gladly fill), but working in a position that would require me to, almost completely, to put aside my personal beliefs in support of those of the current administration / federal government's foreign policy.

There was a time when I willingly operated the nuclear reactor, that helped launch the planes, that dropped bombs in an unconstitutional war. Yet now I'm not willing to put aside my own ideals in order to support that same organization, despite the numerous benefits I would receive for doing so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: