The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eisenhorn was my first set of WH40K books. LOVED them.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people will tell you that most anything by Dan Abnett are the best 40k novels. I'm one of them. I haven't heard anyone say the Heresy novels are awesome in so many words. They're all by different authors, so they each have a different feel and varying levels of ability. The few I have are decent, but by no means the best or most interesting representation of the setting by far and the rest seem to be pretty hit or miss. The Heresy novels written by Abnett are pretty good, but not his best material. Anyone who is pretty familiar with his stuff will likely mention Eisenhorn first. Definitely a fantastic trilogy, but the Ghosts are his best work I think.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov. Excellent time-travel novel. I loved how he tied it into his robot, empire and foundation series.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Great character-driven series, not a single person without some serious character flaws. Very well written.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitter Seeds By Ian Tregillis - Superhuman Nazi's vs. Warlocks negotiating with alien intellegences during WW2

Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines - Super heroes helping humanity during a zombie apocalypse.

I think I'm on a supers kick.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline. If you come to this forum and this book doesn't interest you, then I question why you bother to come to this forum. Read it. It's good.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the First Law trilogy. I've got another one of J. Ambercrombie's books but I haven't had a chance to read it yet.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I picked up two more. Best Served Cold and Blood of Heroes. I'm only about halfway through the second book of First Law, but it's written so damn well that I'm just going to keep buying anything he writes.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past weekend I finished reading "I Know This Much is True" for my fiction bookclub. It took the first few hundred pages to really "get into" it, but once I did I found it was a good book. Just hard to get into.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Passage and David Copperfield.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. This is the story about a man finishing the book about a movie that may or may not exist about a house that some freaky things keep happening. It is a bizarre combination of the story about the house with footnotes about the guy who is finishing this book. This book gives me some serious chills. I stopped reading it in my own house because I didn't want to be freaked out every time I got up in the middle of the night to use the potty.

I also just finished The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson. He is the author who is finishing the Wheel of Time series. He had a trilogy called the Mistborn Trilogy. This is the first of another Trilogy set in that world. It is a magnificient set of books and I highly recommend the read.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I hated David Copperfield.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the book duo of "The Icarus Project" and am now reading "Soon... I Will Be Invincible!".

I've been on a super-powers kick lately.

Quote:

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't started David Copperfield yet but I'm just about done with The Passage. I've enjoyed it so far, at least for the most part. There were a couple of spots where it seemed to drag out a bit but on the whole, it has been a fun read.

If you are into the idea of vampires/zombies as scary ass motherfuckers who will kill you and everyone you love, then you will probably enjoy this book. The book also paints a very bleak picture of the future of our country and the world, even without the vampire/zombie factor. It does an excellent job of setting a world which is similar enough to ours to actually exist, but just a little bit shittier.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just devoured the books that the HBO series "True Blood" is based upon. She was hoping to have something else to read, so I gave her "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. I didn't think she'd actually read it, but she's into Chapter 3 already. She keeps asking me how to pronounce names/places/peoples. Smile
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sookie Stackhouse books are fucking amazing....just saying....

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished The First Law trilogy. Fucking masterpiece. Utterly satisfying. Everything that happened to every character was perfect.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trial of Henery Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Implied Spaces" by Walter John Williams. The ending didn't quite live up to the rest of the book for me... seemed hurried.

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: