The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everquest 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Everquest 2 Reply with quote

I know we have a thread around here somewhere...but Haven, Fyre and I have been poking around EQ2 again.

They've actually made some changes to it. It's got a lot of the same features as WoW does. Auction House, Talents (Kind of) That sort of thing. There are differences, but subtle ones now, and it's actually not so bad.

I'm actually having fun with it, but the crafting system is much better, even though it's mostly worthless. Meaning that the items you make aren't that great. Well, not yet at least.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to join, I'm playing Kellion and Janek on Antonia Bayle. We're playing out of Neriak and you have to have the Fae Expansion to play there.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so this is like, the House of Sony now?

::runs::

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, we've just been trying to find something to kill time until Warhammer come out.

All the MMO's we've played recently haven't lasted for more than a month. So then we go back to the ones we don't want to play to see if there's anything else there.

You know, like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer then saying Wow! This sucks. Then hitting yourself in the head with a hammer a few years later because you forgot what it felt like.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was gonna give it a go again, but I can't do either of the following:

1.) Install the 7 day demo... not sure why.

2.) Can't find my CDs from when I actually owned the game. Did I give it away to someone and forgot?

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat, so I bought the new box set for $40. It's okay for right now, I'm finding that money is easier to come by than WoW, but Items are not. So it gives you a reason to craft somewhat. And it's not as bad as WoW crafting although the items are a little less useful.

I'm honestly just killing time till Feb. 18 (Lets hope it doesn't get pushed back again) for Warhammer. Hopefully the crafting system will be useful and not really boring.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign up for the Conan beta and hope you get lucky and there is a Gods and Heroes beta out there too, which I think may be open. Both of those games actually look to have some pretty major original elements to them and both look to be pretty rockin games at this point. Mmmmm... siege battles. Honestly though, Warhammer looks amazing and I'm pumped that it's winning awards at shows and doesn't look like it will be a huge flop/disappointment.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I really like about Warhammer, is that it looks like it's taken the good things from WoW and EQ2 and a ton of other games and improved upon them. They seem to be using the Blizzard Cocktail of Success.

That and I love the podcasts. Those are some funny guys up there. And further more, I, also, hate bears.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss

Last edited by Mishlai on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a frickin hilarious tirade, but I have absolutely no idea what his problem is. And I've played tabletop games. Lots of them.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough of them if you don't get it. Warhammer is a tabletop game as old as the hills. Blizzard's games take heavy inspiration from it. Hence the affront felt when Mr. Douchebag asserts Blizzard is the one being ripped off.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't speaking about the actual game theme. I was speaking about the MMO Mechanics.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it's lost on some, I think Kellion also refers to the fact that Blizzard doesn't create new games, so much as reinvent the wheel better. This is what WAR appears to be doing as well.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it's lost on some, Mr. Douchebag refers to the character in the comic. You know, the one that stated "They're totally ripping Blizzard off."
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't quite get it either, until ChaosAlex 'splained some things to me. Blizzard ripped off the Warhammer universe heavily. I'm not complaining or anything, I love Blizzard, but for people who knew about Warhammer 1st, the idea that they're ripping Bliz off is not merely ridiculous, but offensive.

Fucking act like it.

Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...Hahaha, That comic never loaded for me. All I see is a Red X. Ooops...Didn't mean to go on the defensive Razz

But yes, Mojo is right, I was saying that Blizzard has a way of taking a game that already kicks ass then trying to make it better. From what I've seen, they've done a pretty good job at doing that. Other then that, Most Ideas are recycled now a days anyway, especially in the area of Fantasy Gaming.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as I don't feel sullied by using the system, ie its a BLATANT RIP OFF, I couldn't care less if it's borrowed, as long as it rocks. Also, I don't think its really fair to be mad a Blizzard for how they used Warhammer as more or less source material. Everyone stleas ideas from everyone and tries to make it just enough different to be "original" or "creative." How many books/movies have ripped off Ender's Game? Imitation is the highest form of flattery after all.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and I don't think anyone is mad at Blizzard, just at the suggestion that the original artist ripped off their imitators. ; )

Let me see if I can fix that pic....

Fucking act like it.

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the upside, I can fall back into EQ2, since it has retained my account info and I'd just need to restart the billing.

Quote:

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Agreed, and I don't think anyone is mad at Blizzard, just at the suggestion that the original artist ripped off their imitators.

Very true, no one should be angry at Blizzard. Their games take heavy inspiration from Warhammer, but they are still two very different ideas and experiences. The biggest reason Blizzard gets kudos in my book is they decided not to fool around with trying to plow through the business mire that is Games Workshop in an attempt to snag a license, instead they decided to come up with something on their own. In any case, I don't think the first Warcraft had anything even remotely comparable to Warhammer, it wasn't until the second where you started to see similarities.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, II was a far better game.

Fucking act like it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: