The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th Edition D&D?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, sorry! Carry on then. I'm calling dibs on the Gangs of New York setting.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting together a campaign for my roommates and some additionals. Should be interesting. I have never DM'd and haven't played since our games in the LVSP room years ago and the one other guy that has played before hasn't played 4th yet. I'm expecting lots of fun though.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

A bunch of us at work started playing 4th edition. It takes some getting used to but I have to say that I really like the game play. It is dumbed down a little but allows for more roleplaying, IMHO. I never got to play 3rd edition but this edition is much more 'survivable' then 2nd, not that second was bad or anything.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how it allows for more rp, no system really helps or hinders that(systems themselves being only for mechanical challenges like combat, having nothing to do with player or npc interaction). That is entirely up the the group.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. And one of my counter-arguments to all those who claim that 4e D&D has no role playing element.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can see how having to worry less about the math parts could make RP a little more smooth.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so?
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, nothing major, just less waiting for dice results and adding numbers to describe a scene, that sort of thing.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran my first session of my campaign last night. It went pretty well, although I was pretty distracted and got parts of my storyline mixed up, it wasn't anything that is irreparable though. I ended up using the 3rd Ed. dual wielding rules for our warlord because the 4th Ed ones seem to make it pretty useless for anyone outside of rangers. Other than that I haven't changed much. I'm not sure I like the way that they have the magic items and was thinking of setting up a set of homebrew item creation rituals. Anyone else tinkered with that at all?
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I think that it's designed to be that way. Both the Ranger and a Tempest Build Fighter are the only ones that really utilize dual wielding. Rogues get a feat where you can dual wield a hand crossbow for a free basic ranged attack with it on a crit from your main-hand.

That and an attack is a Standard Action, for which you only get one in a round unless you use an Action Point. Granted, this is all for if you care about the rules as written. Whatever floats in your game, is obviously your call though.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a tendency to play rangers and rogues in my 2 Ed and 3 Ed games and really enjoyed the two weapon style. I'm playing a druid here (feral dps spec of course) but I'm also running the game so I'm trying to come up with a set of house rules that I feel maintain that level of fun with out being gamebreaking.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gamebreaking

Isn't that what makes the game fun?! Very Happy
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overpowered characters are fun, but rarely challenging. I think of it along the same lines as cheating in videogames. If I cheat my first time through the game, I get easily bored with it and I never finish. On subsequent playthroughs though, everything's game.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Overpowered characters are fun, but rarely challenging

Then you aren't doing it right. No matter how powerful a character is, there are at least 40 things capable of handing them their ass with ketchup. Also, it isn't cheating if it follows the rules.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always run them through Cthulhu d20 if you need to teach them a lesson on power levels.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of you guys ever messed around with Obsidian Portal? Seems like a fairly nice resource for managing the campaign. Everyone that's a member of the group can edit the pages, but the DM has access to hidden sections so that he can keep his notes there without cluing in the players to the things to come. Seems like it would be great for larger campaigns that encompass multiple towns/countries/etc and all the NPC's that go along with it. From what I understand, free accounts can save 2 campaigns, and sponsors can save more.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty sweet!!
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up a GM only wiki page that details the whole plot line, and in addition to the visible NPC's, there are pages setup for the other characters that the group haven't met yet. I like that I can keep notes on each of the npc's with the general knowledge that the PC's are aware of, as well as separate notes for myself that they can't see until I reveal them.

I've also played a bit with the tools over at Dungeonmastering.com that allow you do some neat things like creating monster cards to build encounters. They have a built in initiative tracker and a dice roller. I'm not sure how well I like the dice roller. I seemed to get a lot of really low numbers on my d20, although I'm sure the PC's in my campaign would enjoy that. I haven't run a session from there yet, but I think I'm going to try it for our next game night and see how it goes.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Haven wrote:
Well, I can see how having to worry less about the math parts could make RP a little more smooth.

That's actually what I was talking about.

As for tools to use, I have actually been playing around with Wizard of the Coast's tools and I think they are pretty useful. The character builder is very nice to use. It also updates (if you have an subscription to Dungeons Mag) regularly, adding in new feats/builds from the new books and from some of the editions of the Dungeons mag or the Dragon mag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: