The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

So, I'm about the last of the original BEB members still playing WoW (Mojo, Haven, etc). While I'm not so bored with WoW that I want to quit just yet, I have been considering getting FFXI for some time now.

Is combat similar to other MMOs out there or is is more like the previous Final Fantasy games? Is it solo friendly (I don't group extremely often as I don't have a huge amount of gaming time at any given moment)? Do most of you guys play on the same server and world? I see that the game is multi-platform. Is it specifically designed for a particular one? If I play on the PC (only platform I have), is it going to be difficult for me to navigate/chat/etc?

I'm not looking to buy the game before probably early December.

Is there some kind of free trial or "invite a friend" trial program for FFXI?
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) The combat is very different than any other MMO I have played and there is no real form of PVP and what there is isn't balanced at all as the game wasn't designed with PVP in mind. PVE can be slow and tedious at best some times and mind numbing with the wrong group or doing certain things. This game is very solo unfriendly, especially at the beginning, except under circumstances and only for certain things.

That being said, it is considerably better and I am sure they have made some improvements since I more or less stopped playing. Leveling at the low levels is stupid hard and I really don't think starting from ground 0 is much of an option with how much you will have to do to get caught up. Everything takes a million hours to do as well and when you compound that with idiots you get frustration or anger.

b) BEB is on Lakshmi. PC is the best platform to play on anyway, so no worries there.

3) I would wait until then if you are going to start anyway as they will probably have holiday bundles with all of the expansions at a psuedo-unrediculous price. I am unaware of any real trial period, but I could be wrong and as previously stated, I am sure we could work something out where you could use one of my 58 accounts.

After saying all that I feel I need to put things in the proper perspective. I have never enjoyed my time gaming more than when I was playing FFXI. The game is highly rewarding and the community can be fantastic, especially the BEBmmunity. Everything takes forever, but when you accomplish something it feels like you actually did something. The story is also amazing, with rich rewarding cut scenes.

I would not give up on it right away as it also has one of the most harsh learning curves for any MMO as it is so different then the others. You would have a lot of highly highly skilled players to learn from in BEB however and no better group can be found for helpfulness.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midget hit most of it correctly. One of the big downfalls of it being multi-platform is that the user interface does more or less suck, especially when compared to something like WoW. It will take a bit to get used to, but once you dot it's fairly second nature. It's not uncommon to walk by a newb though and have them say, "How do I move lol?"

The soloing and lower leveling has gotten tremendously better in the past year, but it's still not easy. 1-75, especially on your first job will be a grind. It's not easy by any stretch, and most of us took about 2 years to hit 75 on our first job. Others have done it in 3-4 months, but those people are nuts, and generally more interested in being the best, and less interested in exploring the game.

One huge thing that I personally enjoy is the job system. You won't have alts(Not really anyhow), you will have the ability to switch your job(class) at any time(From your house) and switch back and forth. This adds some versatility, and I think gives your character more of an identity than some other games I've played. Some people use alts for storage, but mostly people are logged on as one character. I'm always Anastasia, Yobun is always on Yobun, and it's been that way for over 4 years now.

Combat really isn't that much different than EQ was when I played it although there's a lot more to do. There's weaponskills and such, but in general if you're a melee you press CTRL+A and your dude starts attacking. Of course there's more to it than that, but that's the general idea.

Lotan

Edit: I mentioned in some other thread, but there's a trial disk out there that you can buy. I'm not sure what all it comes with, but it's 1.99, so it's not so bad. It'd be enough to give you an idea of what the game is all about.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=647088
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have anything to add. everything they said is right. i would dread starting at a low level.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to get it, I'll help out when/if I can to get you somewhat caught up.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo.....it's a COMPLETLEY different animal then WoW. You know me (I am Bairen if for some reason you don't remember) and you know I can level pretty fast in WoW. I left FFXI (which was my first MMO, I played for about a year) for WoW. It's apples and oranges.

In WoW you can solo any class, and hit 70 no problem. However in FFXI it's nothing like that. Sure it's been a while since I quit playing, but I'm sure it hasn't changed that much. Soloing as a holy priest or Resto Druid is easier then soloing any 'job' (class) in FFXI by far.
I can hit level 10 in about 2-3 hours of playtime in WoW in any class, it'll take a couple nights of play to hit 10 solo in FFXI in any class, and thats when the grouping starts (at least when I played.). It's a group dependent battle system, and it's only fun when you have the Linkshell (guild) to group with.
In WoW we have to get what, 250k XP to level from 55-56, if you have a good grinding spot it'll take what....about 3 hours with full rest XP getting 350+ xp a kill. In FFXI (from what I remember) it was like 35k XP to get from 34-35, at 200xp a kill. And depending on the group, you may have to 'rest' after every kill to regain MP and whatnot.

Basically, it's like playing any other FF game, but your 'party' are other human players, so you have to trust their judgement and actions. If you have a bad WHM (white mage) he'll toss too many heals to the tank, get aggros, and get owned, the group wipes. Or you have to wait for both the WHM and BLM to regain MP after every fight (which can take 2-5 minutes).

I DID like the game, and I'd love to play it with the rest of the guys, as FFXI is how I found BEB. However it's just too slow, and too group dependent for my liking. I LOVED fishing (way cooler then WoW fishing). But professions take WAY more time then they do in WoW. In FFXI, one of the fishing quests is to get the Lu Shangs rod (ultimate fishing rod), to get it you have to turn in 10,000 Moat Carp.

It's far from WoW in every aspect.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like 6k/level in the 30's, but that's not really important. It is significantly more difficult than WoW, and soloing isn't much of an option. I did the WoW trial and I think I went level 1 to 10 without dying on my first(And only) character.

Your chances of making it to 10 without dying 20 times in FFXI are probably pretty slim, and in FFXI you lose xp for dying.

For me the frustrating times are behind, and to some extent they made the "rewards" better. It was good for me because I got to do it with these other guys that I liked hanging out with. It would be tough now. Not impossible, but tough.

The alternative would be to just take it and do it at your own pace, and know that it may be a year or two before you'd hit the higher levels. There's a decent amount of jobs you could solo with, you'd just have to accept that it would be significantly slower than grouping.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that. When you're past level 10, when you die, you lose XP. Considering the 9/10 chance you'll get into a random 'party' of fucking retards, you'll be losing a bit of XP.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You start losing xp at lv4... I'm sure it was 4. >.>
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it level 4/5? I can't remember, it's been quite a while.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one other important question:

Can I configure my own movement keys and stuff? Most people use WASD for movement (dunno if that's the default here...), but I use ESDF.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In FFXI you use the num pad and arrow keys and it's amazingly wonderful!!!!! For WoW and games with similiar controls I use a Nostromo SpeedPad and mouse exclusively.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure if you can reassign keys. Maybe.

I really do like the numpad now, but it was weird at first.

FFXI(At least for me) is a no-mouse game. You can use it, but I don't know why you would.

Lotan
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the mouse in FFXI slows you down rather than helping you. You use the numpad to move, target, open your menus, zoom and select things. You use the arrow keys to adjust your camera angle. The regular keypad keys are reserved for speaking. With the default setup you do not need to hit enter or tab before trying to talk, you just start typing.

That can be configured differently by selecting the compact keyboard option, at which time the movement keys are set to WASD and other keys on the keyboard become shortcuts to other functions. Enter must be hit before typing to talk. I know at least some of these keys can be changed, but I'm not sure if all of them can be.

The only other thing I have to add regarding the gams is that, since it's possible to try out every class with just one character, and most people have been playing the game for a long time now, you may find it very difficult to find low level parties that are any good.

Both Mojobacca and Haven tried out the game, and neither of them liked it at all. Haven compared playing FFXI to having his balls repeatedly hit with a hammer. Many of the conventions you're used to in MMORPG's are absent in FFXI. Your map does not get marked with locations of quest NPCs. You have to actively hit a shortcut key to con a mob instead of just looking at it. You cannot play the game windowed, or even alt-tab out ot it (without hacks).

Essentially, it is a very hard game compared to other MMORPG's.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair the windower "hack" is now pretty much common place. If it's something that you want to do, it's not so much a hack as a program you download, and a very large % of the PC playerbase uses it.

Also SE says they're working on a windower, although they've said that for a while.

Lotan
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 0 reason to not use the windower.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last i heard, the windower from SE is coming with the new expantion.
Leedon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Haven compared playing FFXI to having his balls repeatedly hit with a hammer

To clarify, that's "It's like being kicked in the nuts repeatedly for a kiss, and not a real kiss, a Hershey's Kiss".

That's one of those quotes that'll live in my heart forever.
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a shot back before trying even EQ2... I left 30min after starting because I felt the interface was the worst imaginable. You can reconfigure it, but when the base controls are counter-intuitive, you will spend as much time changing them as you would to experience 1/2 the game content.

My suggestion is that, unless you are a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you pass it up.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated the controls when i started, they take a while to adjust to. i felt the same way when games started using wasd instead of the arrow keys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: