The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My suggestion is that, unless you are a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you pass it up.

I have never seen why people say that. This game has no resemblance to any previous FF game in game play or style.

Quote:
I left 30min after starting because I felt the interface was the worst imaginable. You can reconfigure it, but when the base controls are counter-intuitive, you will spend as much time changing them as you would to experience 1/2 the game content

The controls are prefect for this game. When I first started playing WoW and COH I switched my controls to the FFXI style and it worked great there as well. It's not bad, it's simply different as Yob eludes to above. It allows you to keep both hands usefully busy at all times with just the keyboard. You never have to stop any type of movement to execute button macroes to pull off moves and it allows for more moves without crazy complex macroes.

I can see why some people can't get used to this style, but it certainly isn't "bad." My best friend played FFXI for about a month and liked certain elements of the controls a lot more than WoW's. Having played both games a ton, I don't think FFXI's interface is any worse than WoW's in any way. The huge advantage WoW has is they are MUCH more willing to publish versions at a much more rapid pace than the SquEnix team allowing them to more actively respond to their populace.

Again, this game isn't for everyone, but that is not due to an inferiority of the play controls.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the game is designed for PS2 and Xbox as well, you can easily configure a gamepad to play the game with. At least a couple members here have experience playing the game with a gamepad, they may be able to shed some light on that.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most people use WASD for movement (dunno if that's the default here...), but I use ESDF.

At least I'm not the only one, first thing I do after installing a new game is to switch my movement keys to EDSF.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midget wrote:
I have never seen why people say that. This game has no resemblance to any previous FF game in game play or style.

I agree with you on play. There's obviously some stylistic similarities(My Black Mage has the Petasos), and the basic job ideas are similar. The gameplay has nothing to do with any other FF any more than D&D Online is "just like playing the pen and paper".

midget wrote:
...The controls are prefect for this game.... You never have to stop any type of movement to execute button macroes to pull off moves and it allows for more moves without crazy complex macroes.

Again, this game isn't for everyone, but that is not due to an inferiority of the play controls.

Agreed. Only game I know of that I can move my character and rotate the camera an opposite direction all with one hand.

The controls are a lot more intuitive if you use a PS2 controller. I mean they fit the controller, but if you take the time to learn the keyboard controls, it's harder to go to PS2 as it's inherently slower.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As the game is designed for PS2 and Xbox as well, you can easily configure a gamepad to play the game with. At least a couple members here have experience playing the game with a gamepad, they may be able to shed some light on that.

I decided to put a copy of FF on my comp in case my wife wanted to watch TV. Since I'm used to playing on the ps2, I got a controller for it also. There is no doubt there are disadvantages to playing with a controller AND a keyboard(to type), but I'm used to it and have never been able to adjust to keyboard controls for moving, which is why i didn't last more than 10 minutes on WOW.

So I would never say it's the easiest, or smartest, thing to do, but it works for me when I actually use the pc to play.
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hand still gravitates to the num pad when I sit down at a keyboard.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcoal_tIMC wrote:
My hand still gravitates to the num pad when I sit down at a keyboard.

So what you're saying is that you're coming back for the expansion? Fire up the Delorean and get it up to 88 miles per hour. We're going back in time.

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting the band back together?! The BEB reunion tour?!
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yobun's on Drums
Talula on Lead Vocals
Charc plays bass
I'm lead guitar
Trow's on Tamberine.
Midget is the roadie.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Wendell do the keyboard?

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think back-up vocals would be more appropriate for Wendell. All the effort, half the results.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midget wrote:
Quote:
My suggestion is that, unless you are a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, you pass it up.

I made this because the game is, in fact, Final Fantasy. I wouldn't have played Star Wars Galaxies if it wasn't Star Wars. Those two share the same similarities as FFXI does with Final Fantasy. They are related primarily in name only.

midget wrote:
Quote:
I left 30min after starting because I felt the interface was the worst imaginable. You can reconfigure it, but when the base controls are counter-intuitive, you will spend as much time changing them as you would to experience 1/2 the game content

The controls are prefect for this game. When I first started playing WoW and COH I switched my controls to the FFXI style and it worked great there as well. It's not bad, it's simply different as Yob eludes to above. It allows you to keep both hands usefully busy at all times with just the keyboard. You never have to stop any type of movement to execute button macroes to pull off moves and it allows for more moves without crazy complex macroes.

I can see why some people can't get used to this style, but it certainly isn't "bad." My best friend played FFXI for about a month and liked certain elements of the controls a lot more than WoW's. Having played both games a ton, I don't think FFXI's interface is any worse than WoW's in any way. The huge advantage WoW has is they are MUCH more willing to publish versions at a much more rapid pace than the SquEnix team allowing them to more actively respond to their populace.

I'm sure the controls are perfect for the game. The game was designed to be played on a console and thusly the PC version seemed just a port. Since I don't play RPG's on consoles, much less a MMOG, the default UI was far too cumbersome from the stand-point of someone who games on PCs. I basically made a snap (perhaps far too hasty) decision to bypass a game that will take much more time for me to learn basic commands than it would for me to enjoy playing the game.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The game was designed to be played on a console and thusly the PC version seemed just a port.

The PC version launched some 18 months before the PS2 version and some 24-30 months before the 360 version? I have a very hard time believing this game was designed for a console. If FFXI was made for a console and ported to the PC this is the greatest port in the history of ever.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was originally released on PS2 in Japan, on May 16, 2002 and was released for Windows on November 5, 2002. Released in North America on PC on October 28, 2003, and PS2 in NA on March 23, 2004.

I play on PS2, and the controller set-up was incredibly easy for me to pick up on, even as what had been at that point a fairly casual gamer.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was originally released on PS2 in Japan, on May 16, 2002 and was released for Windows on November 5, 2002. Released in North America on PC on October 28, 2003, and PS2 in NA on March 23, 2004.

The Japanese don't count... they are from the future.
Leedon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue with the controls was that the mouse had to be clicked on the lower half/lower quarter of whatever you tried to target. I'd gladly remove a hand from the keyboard to target what I want, when I want and be efficient at it. Why add a mouse if it barely works? Target nearest, next, previous... or just click.... I choose click, but that's a personal opinion from someone who likes tanks.

-Lee
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Omnius
Squatter
Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want in on the reunion tour! I can play a mouth harp like you wouldn't believe!

P.S. See you all when the 360 WotG bundle hits stores toward the end of Nov!
Trow
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamberine aye? I demand bass or turn tables
Yobun
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a Bass Tamberine? Well its all yours bud.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They have a Bass Tamberine? Well its all yours bud.

^
I lol'd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: