The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you properly paranoid yet? You should be.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has blue braces on his legs in the video.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Mishlai wrote:
It pisses me off because I believe the TSA to be " ineffective, invasive, incompetent, inexcusably costly, or all four."

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/12/tsa-insanity-201112

What he said. Also, a monkey fucking a football comes to mind every time I go through one of their security checkpoints.

I've only seen the "monkey fucking a football" on maybe two trips I've made for work, and I travel twice a month. 75% of these trips require visiting 3 separate airports (OKC airport, layover airport, destination airport) and the reverse order of airports. I don't just see the same airports over and over (except for the OKC airport as I live in OKC). I see lots of backwater ones, small ones, medium ones, large ones and ginormous ones. They mostly have a smooth flow and nearly every one has a good response to the unexpected, from what I've seen.

Once, when I requested a grope since I refused to go through the xray machine, they did the grope and then they swiped their gloves to put in the explosives detector. It came up positive. He immediately moved me to a safer and more discrete area to do a slightly more invasive grope. He explained the whole process as he went and did the swipe and reading on a different machine that seemed more sensitive. This one came up negative and he wished me a good day. This was at a medium sized airport.

Long story short, I don't ever see airports as you describe them.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't personally had a bad experience with the TSA, though I did have a mildly dumb one. Doesn't change my views though, I don't need to experience the problems personally to know they're there.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather do the X-Ray machine than getting groped but if you go though the line without the X-Ray machine and they pick you to get groped you cannot request the X-Ray machine.

They will not let you through the X-Ray machine unless you were originally in the security line with the machine.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are picking up enough ionizing radiation from the flight since you are above more of the insulating atmosphere as it is. Do you really need more?

I did try to go through one once just to see what it was like. I had to do the manual grope anyways as my hands were off screen. They aren't made for people my height.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always opt out. After they grab my junk I go buy myself a beer in the lounge.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A medical X-Ray is equivalent to 15 minutes exposure to sunlight, and they penetrate through entirely. Airport scanners reflect off your skin with no significant penetration, and are affecting your whole body as opposed to specific parts, and they still produce less exposure than medical ones. They are safe. In any case, I'll die from diabetes well before any cancer shows up, so I'll take X-Rays over Touchy McGroper any day.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the complaint with these backscatter scanners is that the entire dosage goes to your skin.

Fucking act like it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is still equivalent to being outside for a few minutes while the sun is up. People will worry about anything.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having actually done some research on this, I'm forced to agree with CFS for the most part. 5 minutes is a bit small for the equivalency for being in the sun. At altitude, the scan is equivalent to about 2 minutes of flight time. I am not really worried about it any more and will go through them from now on.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say 5, I said a few. Less than a medical xray, which is equivalent to 15 minutes.

On a slightly related note, pink slime IS on the label: it's called BEEF. And because of the mindless reactionary bullshit and terrible media instigation of the issue, we're probably going to see a significant spike in reported salmonella and E-Coli cases as people migrate to red meat products not properly treated for bacteria.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Verizon-Price-Lists-for-Wiretaps-119092

All four telecom firms also offer so-called “tower dumps” that allow police to see the numbers of every user accessing a certain cell tower over a certain time at an hourly rate. AT&T charges $75 per tower per hour, with a minimum of two hours. Verizon charges between $30 and $60 per hour for each cell tower. Sprint demands $150 per cell tower per hour, and Sprint charges $50 per tower, seemingly without an hourly rate.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exzavier wrote:
Sprint demands $150 per cell tower per hour, and Sprint charges $50 per tower, seemingly without an hourly rate.

You, sir, are contradicting yourself.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, it was wrong in the article.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skimmed the article but was wondering if this is legal what the state of NY did. They had Microsoft ban/delete the xbox live accounts of all registered sex offenders.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402664,00.asp

I know a judge can ban you from the internet etc. but if that was not part of your case can they do this?
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it allows unrestricted and unsupervised contact with minors, it's fair game. Not sure if that applies to sex offenders for crimes against adults, but it seems like most other things do apply.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox Live is a private service. Paradoxically, privacy laws do not apply. Yes, this is legal, and should be so. This is the same as a restaurant telling me, "yo, dude, could you not smoke here?" which I respect as an individual decision, rather than the state saying "NO SMOKING IN RESTAURANTS". In this case, Microsoft made a decision based on a state's request. The state had no jurisdiction to force them to do so.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. A private service can still easily fall under any governmental jurisdiction depending on the issue. Case in point, the Boy Scouts. They are a private Christian organization. However, they are required to offer and continue membership and position to openly gay scout masters. In this case, the state or feds could have easily ordered Xbox Live to comply, as it presents a direct and clear avenue to contact with minors, which would conflict with any court order restricting offenders from having any contact with. If they didn't have the legal authority of the moment, it would have been created. This is most likely partially why Xbox complied, to avoid government interference.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Case in point, the Boy Scouts. They are a private Christian organization. However, they are required to offer and continue membership and position to openly gay scout masters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies wrote:
exactly opposite!
... and my point, exactly. The ugly side of the First Amendment is that people are allowed to be jerks, too. I wholly approve of the First Amendment. I reserve the right to deal with jerks as the situation demands.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, the courts didn't rule against the policy, they pulled all public funding and made them remove their charters from public schools. Regardless, the Xbox issue is a no brainer, it provides a direct conflict which is entirely under the jurisdiction and responsibility of the government.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: