The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new SimCity?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: The new SimCity? Reply with quote

What do you guys think of this so far? SimCity Societies?

The simple fact that Maxis and Will Wright aren't attached to it at all makes me think that it will have very little in common with the game I grew up loving. And while I wasn't much of a fan of SimCity 4 this certainly isn't the direction I wanted to see the game go.

Here's what gamespot had to say when they reviewed it: Link
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read such good reviews on it and i have been watching this one for a while since i first saw the origional ads months ago.. I generally use Game Rankings to get a good baseline on a game and, i'm just not feeling it from what I read.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About damn time they had real multi-player: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMxWvjlQKB8
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are now accepting registration for the closed beta: https://www.simcity.com/en_US/profile/login?destination=beta/eula
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta signups are now closed and the Beta is set to start on Friday and run through the weekend. Apparently they are only allowing people to spend an hour on each city they build before having to move on and create another one.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:

That's a bit crazy looking.

I never really got in to SimCity for some reason. I'm not sure why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Buddy Lee
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got into it because I have neither the cognitive capacity nor the attention span required to properly manage and maintain an entire city. Within two hours of starting any city it will be in terrible shape and I will be forced to destroy it whilst giggling my ass off.
"What cheers me up? Um... I suppose mainly gloating over the misfortunes of other people. I guess that has to be it. Yeah, mainly crowing over the miseries of others. It doesn't always work, but it never completely fails. And then there's irony. There's irony, which is the gin in the campari, the cream in the coffee. Um... Sex can have diminishing returns, but it's amazing. Uh, no that's pretty much it, then it's a clear run to the grave." -Christopher Hitchens

Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of shit" -Neil deGrasse Tyson in a Q&A session on reddit
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta release day! Be great to get a key but I don't actually expect it to happen.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Beta Key! Now I just have to wait for the software to update (and not be stuck at work) so I can play it! I started the update about 2 hours ago and it is at about 25% now.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came back at lunch to find it completely updated. Unfortunately, although not unexpected during beta testing, the servers were bogged down and running a countdown timer to let people in at a steady pace. I finally got logged in, at the exact moment I had to walk out the door to go back to work. Laughing
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, having played about 2 and 1/2 game now, here are my initial feelings:

- It's SimCity, thank goodness, as opposed to some other game with "SimCity" stuck on there to sell more copies.

- The game feels far more than just 2 months away from being ready to ship. Besides there being some pretty obvious bugs, I'm sure that there are tons of more subtle ones that I just haven't noticed. There also seems to be room for some pretty big improvements in how some basic actions are handled, like upgrading roads.

- The Beta test isn't testing any of the online interaction between players, which is sort of a huge part of SimCity 5. Everyone starts with the same little slice of land and has exactly 1 hour to build up their city before the game resets. Each city basically operates just like SimCities of the past, with no real influence from the outside world.

- Besides having removed all of the true "online" content from the game, during the Beta, they have also drastically limited building options within the game. Very little of the various "industrial specialization" that they have created as part of this game is available and you can't even build railroad tracks (let alone more complex and detailed buildings/infrastructure).

- All that being said, at the game's core, it really does feel like SimCity. It also feels like they have managed to make it a much simpler game, on the surface, than SimCity 4 was while still keeping plenty of depth behind the scenes. It is easy to just start up a small city, throw down some basic services, and watch it grow. At the same time, if someone wanted to dig a bit deeper, there are all kinds of subtle things that could be considered to make a city grow and look a specific way.

- At the moment, I would give the game 4 out of 5 Elephants, taking into strong consideration that this is only a Beta version and hopefully a lot of my concerns will be addressed come March.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was mayor of this same town for a little while:

Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah!
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is arguably worse than the Diablo 3 fiasco:

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, their bullshit "beta" that they did obviously failed at eliminating initial launch connection issues in a pretty spectacular way.

That being said, what server are you playing on, Akuma? I'm thinking we need to set up a Blue Elephant Brigade region. Ruled by the iron fist of the BEB Mayors.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently EA is offering a free game to those who bought SimCity to make up for the huge number of launch issues.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I heard. The screenshot wasn't mine, I held off on buying it to see how launch went, given all the issues I'm still hesitant about it. We'll see.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to have become much more stable after the past week.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offline Sim City Mod - Proof of Concept

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/modder-proves-simcity-can-run-offline-indefinitely-20130314/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: