The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hobbit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Hobbit Reply with quote

There's an article over on Slashdot that mentioned that Peter Jackson is finally going to start work on filming The Hobbit. Apparently he is doing a sequel to the story as well, but I haven't found any real info on that aspect of it yet. Don't get your hopes up too far though. Filming is scheduled to start in 2009, with a 2010 and 2011 release for the two movies.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...is doing a sequel to the story as well...

What? A sequel to the Hobbit? Isn't that LoTR?

Or a sequel to LoTR? Which I guess could be the hobbits battling Saruman in the Shire, although that didn't last all that long, and what ever other history there is involving the post-Sauron middle earth.

I'm confused.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't really do the battle for the Shire. They changed the story and left it out. They left Saruman trapped in Orthanc by the Ents, and at the end they showed the hobbits returning to an unchanged homeland. I guess they could change the story even further to incorporate it after the fact. I just want to see Grima cut Saruman's throat. I also hated that they never touched upon Frodo's continued longing for the ring, and that that was the reason why he had to leave, they just chalked it up to his wound.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they could do a sequel after the hobbit where Gandalf is searching for information on the ring and meets "Strider".

Or maybe there is something else out there between Hobbit and LoTR that Tolkien's son hasn't talked about yet.

I guess that he could also do something with Gandalf, the Elves, and the "Necromancer".
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he'll make two movies out of the Hobbit. Part 1 and Part 2 if you will.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcoal_tIMC wrote:
I think he'll make two movies out of the Hobbit. Part 1 and Part 2 if you will.

Hmmm... I don't think so, why wouldn't they just say 2 Hobbit movies then?

I think it would be cool to see a movie that featured the rangers, elves, Gandalf, and other wizards in some way.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf and Saruman were the last Isitari left on that continent except for Radagast. But he hated people. I think they should just do a movie about Sauron's initial corruption by Morgoth, and his subsequent subversion of the races. Better yet, they should just do the first war of the Valar.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
...Saruman were the last Isitari left on that continent except for Radagast.

They're what I meant by "other wizards".

Quote:
But he hated people.

Really? Hmmm... knew he had a thing for animals but not that he hated people.

CrushFearSynth wrote:
I think they should just do a movie about Sauron's initial corruption by Morgoth, and his subsequent subversion of the races. Better yet, they should just do the first war of the Valar.

Except that wouldn't really work as a "sequel".

The only things I can remember happening in between Hobbit and LoTR without having access to the books (I'm at work) is Strider and the other rangers protecting the shire and Gandalf searching for information on the ring.

I guess Golum was captured and tortured during this time also, if I'm remembering it right.

So perhaps they could work all that into a movie some how.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what is says over at TheOneRing.net

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/12/18/28159-what-does-a-sequel-mean/#more-28159
Quote:

Events that could be included in such a bridge movie:

* The White Council meets to discuss The Necromancer (aka Sauron)
* The White Council (including Saurman and Gandalf) attack The Necromancer’s stronghold at Dol Guldur. This is to prevent Sauron from searching the river for the Ring. Sauron abandons Dol Guldur and takes up residence in Mordor.
* Gollum leaves the mountain, searching for the “thief” Baggins.
* Sauron declared himself openly, starting to gather power to Mordor.
* Aragorn searches the wilds for Gollum.
* Aragorn’s engagement to Arwen.
* Frodo’s birth.

These are but a few things mentioned in Appendix B of Return of the King. These can be added to and expanded to make the story flow.

I'm going to have to look over the Appendix B when I get off work in a bit. Or maybe I'll just go ahead and reread the Hobbit and LoTR.

Edit: Just looked over the Appendix. I'm almost sure that it is going to be the story of Aragorn and the different things he's involved in between the two stories.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see the assault on Dol Guldur. I would rather see stuff from a lot further back, though, such as Angmar. Or Ungoliant.

Quote:
But he hated people.

I was being dramatic, but he did have a disdain for humans. He also preferred being among animals to sentients. That's why he wandered off and did his own thing instead of bothering with the affairs of mortals.

Quote:
Except that wouldn't really work as a "sequel"

Note, I said I think they should just do a movie about that subject. I never said anything about a sequel.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Director says it's not a bridge film.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some goddamn Tom Bombadil already?

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll probably get left out again...
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember Tom being in the Hobbit. It has been a decade or so since I read it, though.
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wasn't in the Hobbit. I was initially thinking he might do the break after Smaug's death, but while there is still alot going on after that point, I don't think it would make an interesting enough story for it's own movie plot. As far as I remember there is all the drama behind Bilbo stealing the Arkenstone, the ensuing fight, and Thorin's death. Not much else. Oh, and I didn't bother with a *SPOILER* warning, because in the words of Tycho, there should be some sort of statute of limitations associated with spoiler alerts. I'd link the exact comic as reference, but it looks like PA's archive is down for now.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't include Tom in the films because it had no bearing on the overall story, and would have been that much more costly to film. My problem with that is while it had no overt effect on the quest, it did serve an important literary and conceptual role, so I think it deserved the airtime. Although, I also wish they had just stuck to the entire story, and only the story, instead of changing all the crap they did.

All in all, I like Del Toro's work. I hated Hellboy with a passion, but the rest of his catalogue I have no real gripes with. Hopefully he'll get off his ass and finally do At the Mountains of Madness in the next ten years or so, though if he fucks that up I'll swear off watching anything else he does from then on. Okay, maybe not, but I'll be pissed.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the books Tom gave the hobbits their swords, which made a lot more sense than Aragorn saying "Well you see, I just happen to be carrying around the exact number of hobbit-sized daggers you guys need, lucky us!"
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well in the books Tom gave the hobbits their swords...

True, but if you had never read the books you wouldn't even realize that. Tom was a great character, but unless you expect people to sit through a 5-6 hour movie, there's not really anyway to be 100% true to the book.

I read somewhere last night that (don't remember where) that the second of the two movies will take place in the time between Hobbit and Fellowship but it didn't go into any further detail about what the plot would be.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom gave the hobbits their swords

That's another thing that should have been included - the Barrow Downs. It was one of the best parts in the book.

Quote:
there's not really anyway to be 100% true to the book

I think a better job could be done, though. The animated Lord of the Rings film (which included Fellowship and the Two Towers) was far more faithful to the book for what was portrayed, which was damn near all of it, and it was only two hours long. And they filmed live actors first, then overlayed them with animation cels.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Quote:
there's not really anyway to be 100% true to the book

I think a better job could be done, though. The animated Lord of the Rings film (which included Fellowship and the Two Towers) was far more faithful to the book for what was portrayed, which was damn near all of it, and it was only two hours long. And they filmed live actors first, then overlayed them with animation cels.

You are speaking of Ralph Bakshi's effort, yes? I just re-watched it recently after remembering for years that it was awful, and was pleasantly surprised to find my memory to be outright faulty. It was actually pretty damn good, both in story continuity and in artistic style, though Treebeard was totally crap and there was still no Tom Bombadil to be seen. Also, Aragorn was not at all convincing as a Ranger, in that he looked and acted the same before and after his big reveal. Ah, well. No biggie.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: