The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CoV Mastermind discussion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> CoH - City of Heroes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: CoV Mastermind discussion Reply with quote

For all you freaks that like to have the game do all the work, here's the discussion thread for you!

Here goes:

Robotics: I loved this line up until level 20. Now it's just painful.

The bots like to do a knockback blast. Normally, this is good. However, since they always engage at the longest range possible, it actually reduces their DPS when they have to constantly reposition (the bots can't stack, so they run around for a while trying to get in range around it's buddies). This can only get worse since you can have a maximum of 6 bots at your command. Another complication is that they are wider than other MM pets, so they take up a wide swath when trying to line up a shot.

In summary, Knockback = Good. Uncontrolled Knockback = Not So Good.

Zombies: I didn't like them <level 10 or so. They didn't seem to be able to attack very effectively. One would run up to melee while the other would stay back and barf periodically. This was before I learned their true power...

The Zombie horde can start with just a melee attack. Pretty standard. With the first upgrade, they can projectile vomit (cone shaped attack) at range. And it does a minor DoT (just like Vahz zombies do). It also gets a melee ranged AE vomit. Same DoT afterwards.
The Second minion they get is a dead knight. He uses a sword and dark nukes. After his first upgrade, he does a knockup sword attack and Gloom (dark DoT). He LOVES to stand back and nuke/DoT. I hate that. I want him using his sword since it hits harder and it knocks up.

Well, here's what I've worked out for tactics for the Zombie MM.

I have the pets on Follow Defensive so that if I get attacked, I take 2 shares of the damage and each pet takes 1 share (bodyguard mode). If I attack first, I send use an Attack Defensive command. This sends them after my target. Once all the zombies do their projectile vomit cone attack, I give them a Goto Aggressive command (via a bind I have set up (/bind lshift+lbutton petcom_all goto aggressive) that makes them go to the location of my cursor and then enter aggressive mode). When they get there, the start going to town with melee attacks and when their AE puke is available, they use it too. Add to that mix the knight. He's wailing away with his sword.

When I come upon a tightly packed group of even level minions, they all die within 6 seconds on average. The projectile vomit + AE vomit + melee attacks pretty much take them all down. A LT goes down in about 10 seconds. Bosses are probably 15 seconds. Keep in mind that I have THREE zombies that are doing the cone puke and AE puking.

Now that I have this insight, I'm probably going to try out Thugs with the same tactics. Maybe even Soldiers.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ninjas? Form what i'm gathering they are single target melee damagers with knockback attacks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd like the Knockback so much. Every time you knock back, the mob could go flying into more and make it a clusterfsck. Add to the fact that they have to go running after it again reduces your effective kill time. KnockUP or KnockDOWN is preferable since they are still beating on the mob.

I'm gonna give it a shot today. Well, maybe tomorrow since I have to take a short trip this evening.

Edit: Well, crap. Maybe not until ... shit. Maybe not until Sunday or so. Fiance's B-Day on Saturday and we are going to a comedy club tomorrow night. Kids are going to their uncle's for some easter stuff tonight.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Shitsicles, Batman!

I just realized something! With a Robots/Force Field MM at level 32, you have the following defenses available to you:

Each Protector Bot (triple slotted with Defense) double bubbles each of the three drones, me and the one assault bot (henceforth referred to as the assbot). Each of those bubbles gives about 9% Defense bonus to all but Psionic.
Total: 18%

Each bot also has a Dispersion Bubble that gives about 12% defense to ALL defenses to all bots and me.
Total: 24%

I can bubble all bots with Deflection and Insulation shields. This gives them 18% defense to all but Psionic.
Total: 18%

My Dispersion Bubble gives 12% Defense to all to every bot plus me.
Total 12%

Added together: 72% to all but Psi for Drones and Assbot, 63% to all but Psi for Protector Bots, 54% to all but Psi for me, and 36% vs Psi to all. This is all +Defense, not +Resistance! That means that the chance to hit is reduced by that amount, not that the damage is reduced by a %...

Add to that the fact that all the bots have a knockback effect (the Assbot has many more knockbacks) for active damage mitigation (if the target is on it's back, it's not damaging me or the bots).

That is frickin insane!
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out that the info on the Prot Bots Disp Bubble was inaccurate. They don't actually get one. That's -24% to all from everyone. Still pretty high defense.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that no matter how high your defense is, the enemy always has a 5% chance to hit you.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, but if your defense is higher than 95%, your effective defense will be at or near the cap for higher level enemies, as well.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Leedon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a true statement.

I had a lot of fun PvPing Arctic Hellfire with my bots. Kyouri has devices as a secondary and also has the maneuvers pool power. With the bots' bubbles, the force field drone, and maneuvers, AH had a hard time touching enemies 10 levels below her in the arena. It was bad ass.

I need to play her a little more...
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Leedon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually kind of dissappointed in Maneuvers. Now that I'm seeing the numbers that it adds, I don't see it being worth the endurance to run it. This is especially true for Kyouri since she has the force field generator. I can lay them down pretty often and they only take endurance once since they aren't a toggle. I respec'ed her earlier to get rid of it. Now she has both Assault and Tactics. Damage and accuracy for my pets and my party are worth it, I think.

Lee
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maneuvers is NOT worthwhile for nearly everyone.

BUT! If you are a forcefielder, it actually is if you look at it in a certain light. Let's say all your forcefields reduce your chance to be hit down to 10%. Maneuvers then reduces it another 5%. That just doubled your defense.

Bit of a stretch, but it might be worthwhile.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with Mercenaries as a pet. I don't hear much abotu them, and I haven't seen them yet - all I seem to see are robots and zombies. What are the pros and, more importantly, the cons to Mercenaries as a primary?

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glistam wrote:
What's the deal with Mercenaries as a pet. I don't hear much abotu them, and I haven't seen them yet - all I seem to see are robots and zombies. What are the pros and, more importantly, the cons to Mercenaries as a primary?

Well they're mercenaries so it stands to reason that at some point someone is going to come along and pay them more money than you do, which will most likely result in your death. The trick is you never know when it will happen.

At least with the robots and zombies you know that they are always either thinking about ways to turn you into a living battery or to get at your brain.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a non-RP note, I'm not sure. I have one up to 6 so far. I knida like them. Their attacks are fast and they do decent damage (it's lethal, though). The third base pet is a medic, too. I don't know how good or bad the SpecOps or the Commando are, though.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Loupy Lobo
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mastermind that uses mercs. Level 21. I don't have the Commando yet, but the Spec Ops guy is pretty good. He has a longer range, higher damage, more defense and shoots sticky grenades. He's always doing the most damage and is the last one to die. So I can't wait to see the commando. I recently received the medic and he is always the first to die, but is very helpful. I like the mercs.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mercs MM I kind of like, but she's only 11.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> CoH - City of Heroes All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: