The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ps3? is it worth it, and if so, which one?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: ps3? is it worth it, and if so, which one? Reply with quote

so i'm thinking of getting a ps3.

only thing is that there are several out there now. do i want the 80gig one, the 40gig one, or the other one? is there a difference besides the storage space? will they play ps2 games? i don't mind getting one used, (prolly from gamestop), so i am pretty sure that i can get whichever model i want. what i don't know is if it is worth it to shell out extra for a higher than base model version. from what i can tell, it isn't worth it for the 360, so i figured i'd ask you guys to see if you have any input...
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name 2 good games for the PS3...
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Eisen
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that only the older PS3s can play PS/PS2 games.
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3's have limited backwards compatibility. They'll play certain PS/PS2 games, and not others. I've always been a PS fan, ALWAYS. I bought one when they first came out, and I'll admit I haven't touched it. I think I've played MAYBE 10 hours on it. It's just a DVD player for me, which may work for you as there are some cool games on it, and if you have a nice HDTV it doubles as a Blue Ray player (considering BR is the new technology since HDDVD is done). I was never an XBox fan really, I had one and played it, but it was just another console. However of the 3 new gen consoles (I have all three) I will admit I love the 360 and play it more then the other 2. As far as games go, I think the 360 has better and more games. Also if you plan on playing online alot....get whichever more of your friends has (which is usually the 360). I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine who was planning on getting a PS3, but he ended up with the 360 due to the fact that all his friends that he'd want to play online with (including myself) have a 360 and not many people have the PS3. I know many very happy PS owners, I myself (being a proclaimed PS fan) am not one of them.
Hopefully games will get better, and PSHome will be cool, but until then...eh.

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two cool games, in my book:

Ratchet and Clank: Future

Jak and Daxter: Lost Frontieer

Thus far, that is about it. But then, the only things that I play on my PS2 are Jak and Ratchet and the Ico games. Sly occasionally. I'm just afraid that i'll get one and then they will stop making games for it. I likes me some platformers, and for some reason sony seems to draw the best of them. I mean, I always play thru the mario games, but I replay the sony ones.

Also, there is the addictive evolution dl game on the ps3. and i can use my psp as a controller. and i'm moving to japan, so maybe i can find some hot games for it. maybe. I don't know if they are regional or not.

Almost forgot, I have a 360 and a wii,, and a ps2 already. and a gc and a n64, but they don't get used much. its starting to feel like yobuns house around here.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for backwards compatibility, the 40gig doesn't have it, the 80gig has it through software emulation which can be spotty. The 60gig is the way to go with it's hardware backwards compatibility, but that model has been discontinued. Perhaps you can find one used.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, if you are a platform junky then you have to get a PS3. Little Big Planet will probably be the best platform game EVAR if you believe all of the hype.

What Resh was basically correct, with one other additional note. PS online crap is free, but is also TERRIBLE while 360's you pay a little bit for and is wonderful. Doesn't sound like playing online is really your thing though like it is for most people now-a-days.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differences between the 40GB 60GB, and 80GB model:

40GB cannot play ps2 games and only has 2 USB ports, no extra game, free movie

60GB has 4 USB ports, hardware PS2 emulation, no extra game, discontinued model

80GB ha 4 USB ports, a free game, firmware upgradable software ps2 emulation

they all have wireless, ethernet, one controller, and HDMI

There are a few great and a few good games.

Great - Uncharted, Heavenly sword, Ratchet and Clank, DiRT,
Good - Eye of Judgement, Folklore, Ninja Gaiden (if you've never played the other ones), Devil May Cry 4

IT does have a lot of mediocre games and all the major cross platforms are on it. And best of all? It's the cheapest Blu-Ray player around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Band
Rock Band
Rock Band

There's 3 good games for it, but they're also better on the Xbox.

Very Happy

Lotan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the PS3 in most areas. I've also found that PSOnline content to be more useful to me, and most of the 360's stuff not so much. This is a personal taste thing, I guess. Plus, having to pay any amount is pretty poor in my book. You also have to consider the fact that online content for this console is newer and not as well developed. Same with the game catalogue. Things will undoubtedly improve, just as it did with the PS2. That one started out complete crap, and ended up crushing the competition. There are tons of games for the 360, but there are only the exact same number of good games for both. Again, a personal taste thing. I think it's a great investment. Once things get rolling, you'll have a mighty fine entertainment center on your hands. All in all, though, I'm a big fan of getting everything so I don't miss out on anything.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one for xmas going to get FF13 when it comes out.

Can the 120 gig play PS2 or PS1 games?
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new PS3 slim models have no backwards compatibility whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my old 80gig was able to play every one of my PS2 games, though some performed a bit clunky.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the fence between Xbox 360 and PS3. I had a 360 but Ashley kept it when we broke up so now I need a next-gen system.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both now, (I eventually got a 60gig from Gamespot for $30 more than the new 80gig was selling for at the time...) but I tend to go thru waves. I get most of the high end shooters and multiplatform releases on the PS3 cause I don't care about internet multiplay, and the PS3 makes them soooooo pretty. The 360 I only have about 5 games for, but I love the DL content (I DL'd Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Twooie, both old N64 games that M$ had the rights to.). What I really have the most games for though is the Wii. I have all the Lego games on the Wii, as the Wiimote adds lots of fun functionality to the games. Also all the usual Mario stuff and some party games.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get that shit back from her. No way I'd ever lose a system over something like that. No way, no how.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those situations where because we lived together for 2 years, a lot of things were "ours."
Resheph
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter, if you bought it, you keep it. When I finally got Jen the fuck out, I gave her all the dvd's and games she had bought (which wasn't many). She got everything she had bought, or that her parents bought 'us' like dishes and cups and whatnot, most of the cooking utensils which her mom left us, stuff like that. Just like everything my parents bought us, I kept. Plus, I live in the house she grew up in, biggest kick in the cooter ever. Laughing

midget wrote:
vagina = chaos
CrushFearSynth wrote:
She thinks I'm weird compared to you? Dude, I thought you should audition for American Serial Killer when I met you.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you spend the money, you get it back. You weren't married, so it isn't like she can weasel stuff out of you.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel like fighting her for it, it's not the end of the world.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave no system behind!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: