The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEB Communal World Development
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> BEB Site/Board Related
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: BEB Communal World Development Reply with quote

Due to popular support, several BEB members will be working together to help design and flesh out a fictional world setting. These forums are hidden and can only be accessed by members of the World Builders usergroup. Membership is open to anyone who applies. These forums are hidden because not everyone would want to participate in something like this nor would they want to have extra forums cluttering up their screen. All the previous topics relating to this have been moved to these forums.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Ryrra
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glistam for keeping the rest of us in mind with less cluter.  I appricate it. Razz
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, is it possible to make all forums "subscribable"?  I never have any reason to visit the FFXI or Anime forums.  I'd like the ability to not be subscribed to those.

Not precisely a priority, obviously, but it would just be nice to not be distracted by the "New Post" icons in front of them.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with hiding the other forums like that will make it near impossible to have new people visit the boards to access those parts of the board. While I understand that you, personally may not be inviting other people here, in FFXI we try to send people here all the time. If the forums are all "subscription only" then these new people would see nothing, and leave.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so i know, for down the line, is it possible to make a read only forum?  or rather, one that everyone can read, but only certain people can write?  specifically, i was thinking that once the world is really going well, maybe we could do a show and tell for a week, just to see if other people want to join in, once they see what we are about.  it would involve unhiding the world forum(i figure the admin one wouldn't need to be seen), and letting others read it.

also, on the subject of subscribable forums, could we make a poll that automatically subscribes you to applicable groups?  you know, what online games do you play?  and your answer adds you to the appropriate groups.  hell, for that matter, we could make a questionare part of the application process(i think i remember having to apply), and only subscribe people to the areas that they show interest in.  if we can do that.  i'm not sure.  and it would involve doing it manually for all of the current members, though you could group PM them the same questionare.  just some thoughts.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immyls wrote:
just so i know, for down the line, is it possible to make a read only forum?  or rather, one that everyone can read, but only certain people can write?  specifically, i was thinking that once the world is really going well, maybe we could do a show and tell for a week, just to see if other people want to join in, once they see what we are about.  it would involve unhiding the world forum(i figure the admin one wouldn't need to be seen), and letting others read it.

That, I can do. Just say when and it can be done.

Immyls wrote:
also, on the subject of subscribable forums, could we make a poll that automatically subscribes you to applicable groups?  you know, what online games do you play?  and your answer adds you to the appropriate groups.

Not that I know of, but if you can find a way to do that I can install that feature. However, see my previous answer to Mongo to see why I haven't looked into doing that.

Immyls wrote:
hell, for that matter, we could make a questionare part of the application process(i think i remember having to apply), and only subscribe people to the areas that they show interest in.  if we can do that.  i'm not sure.  and it would involve doing it manually for all of the current members, though you could group PM them the same questionare.  just some thoughts.

Good ideas, and an expansion of Mongo's. It seems to me though that implimenting something like this makes us a bit isolationist. Lets say you were browsing the net, and some random links brought you to a message board. A message board with only one forum. In this forum, you are expected to answer a poll for what your interests are in order to be able to see and post in those appropriate areas. Would you stay? Would it be worth it? How can you tell?

The average person who did that would likely move on. While there may be some people here thinking that is a good thing, thinking that we don't want "outsiders" participating in our forums, there are others here who enjoy "outsiders" posting here. Almost every new person who comes to this board has made our community better in some way and we have grown from what we were into what we are now because of it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent of this idea to hide all the forums and only make them available to people who want access. But I am seeing that if we do this we will lose our "open-ness" to new people.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good point.  perhaps we could do the opposite, though.  make all the forums (including world building) visible to all, but through a subscription to all of them.  then, if you didn't want one of them to show up, you could unsubscribe from it, and still see all the others.  i'm not sure how much work this would take, but its an idea that lets us keep our openness while allowing individuals to tailor shown threads to those they want.

bear in mind that i have no vested intrest in this.  i'm just exploring the possiblities as a sort of informal education in what php is capable of doing.  so if you don't want to do this, don't feel obligated by me.  i'm just thinking of options.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, and could work. It'll involve having a separate group for each forum though. I'll look into it, and see what the options for this are. I may have to change how I've been doing groups, moderators  and such in order to make this happen though.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question regarding the questionaire thingy is this:  "Aren't we isolationists, or at least elitist, with regards to who we admit?"

If someone googles us and comes here, do we really want him here?  I thought everyone who came here was invited by one of us.  I could be wrong, considering the number of members we are getting lately, but I thought selectivity we maintain in who gets honored with an invite to our boards is the same thing as the questionaire.  If the average Joe don't wanna stick around, fine by me.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojobacca wrote:
 "Aren't we isolationists, or at least elitist, with regards to who we admit?"

I like to consider us as the Uber Snobs of the Geek world. We are what other geeks sit around and say (in wheezing voices) "Man <pushes glasses that are weighted down with tape back up> Look at those guys! I wish I was like them! They are sooo Cool! They get all the chicks!"

I don't think that makes me an elitist, does it?
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elitist Elite.  

Lee?

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Leedon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are the Elitest Elites, but being as good as we are also means that we have a bit of something to share and a responsibility to gather others that are worth while.  Our rules state "don't be an asshole", not "you can't post here".  Postiing in a forum with people you don't know and being a Brigadier are two totally different things.
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leedon wrote:
Our rules state "don't be an asshole"

That's one of our rules?!? Man! Am I a major rule breaker or what!
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You don't want to be with a guy like me, Dot.  I'm a rebel.  A loner."

--Pee-Wee Herman, from his Big Adventure

Glimmersby
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all very good ideas.  as for the world forum... I like the idea of only showing the read only and leaving the admin to the writers only...  Nobody publishes their brainstorming notes until the book stops selling and they are desperate for cash
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glistam, is it possible to simply provide options to hide certain forums? Cookies could remember your settings, and if you wanted to see all of the forums or to show one of them, you would just unhide it or "show all"

If something like that could be added to the user interface, it would require no admin involvement once set up.

Of course, the boards probably don't allow such a thing...

A close second would be to allow registered users to unsubscribe. Guests would see everything. We'd have a welcome mat for the rest of the intertron, but users could remove clutter from their version of the board.

I personally just scroll past the stuff i don't want to read, but who am I to get in the way of another Elephant's convenience?

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
Immyls
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, we looked into this when we set up the world builer, but it didn't prove to be easy to implement.
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immyls is right. But, if a phpbb mod exists that will allow that to happen, let me know and I'll look into it and see about implimenting it.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Emo_Cat
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just kuz im kinda slow, what is this "world" thing?

~Eternally in pain...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> BEB Site/Board Related All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: