The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ArcGIS 9.3 (Madhatte)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: ArcGIS 9.3 (Madhatte) Reply with quote

Did you get 9.3 yet? Seems to have alot of new features and now supports KML and GeoRSS. Seems like a bigger release then 9.2.

We have our DVDs but our manager does not plan to upgrade for 6 months. We still have not finished 9.2 migration.

We had to do alot of testing at work. They had to upgrade each component then retest to see if it worked.

So we upgraded Desktops then ArcIMS then SDE and did testing in between all of them.

Are you doing anything cool with GIS at work now?

All I am going is updating bridge locations using 6 inch aerial imagery.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're 100% 9.2 but not a word yet about 9.3. I think the feeling is that it's taken long enough to get to 100% 9.2 that we'll hang on a bit and let everybody catch up, training-wise. Luckily, ESRI will be supporting 9.2 for awhile. I'm actually looking forward to 9.3, but I forget why, exactly. That's probably because I'm pretty happy with 9.2. Most everything is the way I would have made it. I still object to the draconian licensing system, but all I need above the basic desktop are Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst, and we have enough licenses in my office that I seldom have to wait in line.

I'm mostly working with LIDAR data and editing raw shapefiles. I have a plan to predict forest disease from differential angles between LIDAR layers at different elevations. I think I'm about halfway there. I have identified patterns but have not generated the boolean expressions to query the patterns automatically. I'm still busy ground-truthing my predictions. I'm also inheriting a bunch of sloppy raw GPS inputs that need to be cleaned up and made useful. My habit is to aim for the center of a cloud of points, assume that it represents the average, and reject everything else as error. Our data is differentially corrected, so I have to assume the error comes from the user stumbling around in the brush.

DID YOU SAY 6 IN AIRPHOTOS? 18 in is the best we have. I would freaking KILL for 6 in resolution. I could definitively tell one tree from another at 1:12000 with a hand lens, and place my plots with <1 ft accuracy. Right now, <1M accuracy is the best I can guarantee. The rest is topography and savvy. Of course, 1M is "good enough" but why settle?

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I found out today we will get to install 9.3 on the extra machine next to my computer.

Even with 6 inch photos you cannot really pick out a tree.

I have to find bridges like the ones in the picture and place an associated point with attributes there.
The one picture is 1:1000 and the other is 1:500

If you PM me your email address I have some neat code (IMO) that when you click on your map will open yahoo, google maps or local live maps to the same location. It copies the x,y and generates a link to open. (If you want it).
We use the bird's eye view on maps.live.com alot.

Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap. That sounds like it would be useful.

As for picking out trees, I can do it with 18-in imagery; not only are the crowns pretty broad (some more than 100 feet across) but there is also an associated shadow to help identify one tree from another. Tripling our resolution could only make the process easier. Also, I generate pretty much all of my maps at 1:12,000 scale in order to use a chain-scale ruler for ground navigation.

email is madhatte73@gmail.com

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All our photography is leaf-off. I forgot that you would probably be using leaf-on photography.

I'll sent the code and an mxd sometime today.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Leaf-On"? Heh. This here is evergreen country.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh HAR HAR HAR.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meant as a joke. On the east coast, most urban GIS work is done with winter imagery so the damn trees don't get in the way of whatever it is you want to look at. Out here, where everything is evergreen, we just live with it.

CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, man. You were all over that pun. You're a reference whore just like me.

Last edited by CrushFearSynth on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a screenshot of all the bridges I am working on locating today.
This is the I95 Springfield Mixing Bowl.

They are mostly located now I need to add attributes for some.

Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I love that in your roads centerline layer you can see where the driver switched lanes while running the GPS. Also: is it just me, or is that photo projected at an oblique angle? I always have problems rectifying projections with oblique imagery.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No oblique angles. There are 3 ramps on top of each other so it created shadows and may look that way.
That is 1 meter NAIP data.

http://165.221.201.14/NAIP.html

People can download it for free off the virginia VGIN website.

I could show you some really bad centerline errors - LOL!
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh snap. That NAIP site is gold.

NAIP Website wrote:
Our catalog was last updated August 22, 2006

Of course we have more recent imagery but only for a small area. DNR, USFS, and USGS public imagery is usually 3m or worse.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the name of the place you work at?

Are you usually out in the field or behind a computer doing GIS stuff?

I have to come in this weekend to keep locating these bridges, LOL.

There are like 11,000 bridges and 8,000 culverts in VA.

We have been finding a ton of errors in the mainframe database that we got the data out of.

Plus at the same time they are trying to convert the mainframe ADABAS database into an Oracle DB so there are 800 conflicting and missing records.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adabas
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for Ft Lewis Forestry. GIS is just part of the job. I mainly use it to keep track of timber sales and such, but I am also in the process of building a geodatabase to reconcile ten years' worth of field data for an ongoing project. If that works as I expect it to, there is another independent study that I intend to build a separate geodatabase for. There are occasional overlaps, but they really aren't compatible datasets. We are blessed with both top-notch GIS and IT departments, so all I have to do as a user is put the pieces together, except for whatever data I collect myself. That way I have time to do the rest of my job, which has me in the field about 60% of the time.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So our current imagery was flow in 2006 and 2007 at either 1 foot or 6 inch resolution. In 2008 the 1 meter NAIP imagery was flow.

They started flying new imagery already and will do 25% of the state each year 2009 - 2012 but the interesting thing is that some counties and cities have opted for 3 Inch Resolution!!!
That will be sweet!!!
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God damn. With 3-inch imagery I could do stand-level crown surveys without ever leaving my desk. With an accompanying LIDAR dataset I could plot to rule the world!

By the by -- you know what I hate? Trimble TerraSync. It's a passable GPS software package, but it's ASS at GIS. I have been whining for ArcPad for months now. Hopefully the ESRI fairy will visit my computer soon.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of or use fGIS?

http://www.forestpal.com/fgis.html

I am pretty sure it is free.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to me! I will definitely check it out.

Meanwhile, I am beta-testing TwoTrails for the USFS, because it is designed to use a NMEA stream instead of a TSIP stream, it dovetails natively with FSCruiser, which we already use, and because it's GPL'd, and runs on all of our field hardware (mostly StrongARM-based), which is a total bonus. Also, the developers are awesome and respond to my change requests almost instantly. Great folks, can't say enough good about them.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hatte I have a google earth question.

Have you ever uploaded KML to a my map on google earth?

I have a KML file with 410 points but on google only 200 show up. Google is supposed to place the additional bridges on other pages with a link on your map to page 2, 3, etc but whenever I upload the KML it isnt creating page 2 for me!!

I told people at work google earth could do want we needed but right now without multiple pages I would have to create alot of different maps with 200 records each which maybe too confusing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: