The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ArcGIS 9.3 (Madhatte)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you pick out a parking lot? Just pick the high values? 225 - 255 which are close to black?
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Or objects which are some area greater than X with the same attributes, or which intersect with X property boundaries, or are within a distance X of some object... there's a bunch of ways to extract meaning from any dataset. It's all about staring at the screen long enough that you decide what you want to do and how to do it.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you and your department always create and validate topology for layers you created or Collect in the field?
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Ain't nobody else gonna do it for us.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quote myself from elsewhere:

Quote:
WARNING: data-heavy

[url=https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=67F358DAFEA7E71A!172&authkey=!AGvxPrsZkNvQers]Begin Rant[/url]

(click on the "notes" tab to see my comments)

This is a presentation I'll be giving to the F&W folks in a few days. There's a lot more data and steps than I show there, but this explains the process and thinking without too much wandering off on tangents.

Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another new thing I'm working on: big rasters can be used to replace some kinds of ground-based measurement.

I took a ground-layer DEM and subtracted it from a top-level canopy DEM to get canopy (rather, tree) height. I took an (already-rendered) basal area raster (technical tree stuff, expressed in ft^2/acre). The V-BAR equation takes advantage of the fact that in conifers, cubic volume in ft^3 is about 1/3 feet in height, and that due to breakage and other defect, board-feet volume is about 6 bf/ft^3. V-BAR is therefore expressed as (2)bf/ft^2. Now all we need is the acreage of the sale area. Then we do the summary statistics and calculate volume:

average BA (ft^2/ac)* V-BAR (bf/ft^2) * area (ac) = volume (bf)

This is an analysis that takes about 5 minutes at the most, if both the BA and V-BAR rasters need clipped, and less than 2 if they're already done.

Next: complete working inventory remotely by Friday.

This is gonna save us millions.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used Spatial Analysis much at all unfortunately. Most of my work deals with linear referencing.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, and raster math. I've found some supporting data for this kind of analysis, but most of it was done by hand with stereophotographs in the 70's. Current raster analysis is largely focused on pretty abstract stuff like "Clumpiness Indices" and cloud dispersion. This is a really straightforward metric basically replicating field measurements at whatever is the limiting resolution and then field-validated with a small sample to provide a correction factor, if necessary. The hardest part is gonna be writing up the results. The GIS work is pretty straightforward.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to the ESRI User Conference? You should present. Or come to the federal government focused conference next January in DC.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this year, maybe next year. Travel is severely restricted under Sequester.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a link on reddit to a summary about the ESRI Developer conference. It stated that Arc 11 would be x64 only which means anything programmed with ArcObjects would need modified into 64-bit architecture. It also seems the new programming part of the Arc suite will be ArcGIS Runtime. Also, it will finally be multi-threaded.

Hatte: "How would you explain the difference between a Small Scale and Large Scale Map?" (you dont need to answer just the next two questions) Would you say this is an easy or hard question? Should someone working in GIS know the answer to this question?
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about context. In the context of my work, anything done at a scale of a township or greater is large scale, at the scale of a section or smaller is small scale. Lots of grey area in there, sure, but again, it's a matter of context. A watershed analysis may cover a large area, but it's still a single watershed. Likewise, the timber volume math I've been working on can tell the standing volume of a single tree but covers 100,000 acres, because that's the size of the original raster. I just clip the bits I need.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhatte wrote:
It's all about context. In the context of my work, anything done at a scale of a township or greater is large scale, at the scale of a section or smaller is small scale.

Do you have it backwards? Entire State of Washington = Small Scale
One township = Large Scale
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, context. Which way am I zoomed in?

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are zoomed in close it is large scale. Say 1:5,000.

If you are zoomed out and looking at the whole state 1:1,000,000 it is small scale.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways we do not need to debate that.

Hatte: I was wondering how many degrees you have. Do you have any GIS certifications such as GISP, the esri exams, or the imagery analyst certification?

I am way behind on all of these thing and need to get them started this summer. The GIS Tech and GIS Analyst jobs are going to be going away soon. There will be jobs in which you happen to use GIS.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no GIS certifications. I took a class once. I've picked the rest up as I went along. Mostly I learn stuff when I discover that I ned to know it. My degrees are in Forest Ecology and Photography. I have not bothered to get a MS yet as I don't want to be slowed down by academia.

Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that I've never taken any classes in Forestry. This is another skill-set that I have learned by need rather than by formal training.

EDIT: just realized that's not true any more; I went to this class a few weeks ago.

Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARG!!! Someone asked me at work if they could get ArcVIEW 3.2 installed on their PC.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Did you reply in ancient Anglo-Saxon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: