The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars gaming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also suggest Guild Wars if for no other reason than it's no monthly payment.  It's fun too.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Trow
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFXI is great because of the community that the brigade has started, prolly the only reason a lot of us are still playing, be great to have you start playing, let us know and we will hook up the world pass.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I get the cash flowing again, I might just take you up on the offer.  I know most of you from the board already anyway.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be a welcome addition Madhatte. Just be prepared to settle in for a while, the pace of the game is slower than you're probably used to. And a lot of the things you take for granted in other games don't work the same way there.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glistam wrote:
You would be a welcome addition Madhatte. Just be prepared to settle in for a while, the pace of the game is slower than you're probably used to. And a lot of the things you take for granted in other games don't work the same way there.

Like having fun?   Laughing
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that.  Razz

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cancelled my subscription to SWG today.

It finally got to where even the fine people I played with weren't enough of a draw to keep me interested.  The recent Combat Upgrade (meh) pretty much made every profession except BH useless, INCLUDING Jedi.  The fun is gone.  I am sad.  I will miss my characters and my friends in that game, but almost two years down the road, I guess it's time to hang up my flamethrower and vibroknucklers and move on.  

SWG Madhatte RIP

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bout damned time, dood.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know.

SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Your determination to make SWG a fun game is applaudable.... Your stubborn refusal to see the obvious is scary!
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit all to hell though, it was SO close to cool for so long...I just kept hoping they'd fix the broken stuff.  Of course, they just kept breaking it worse.  Finally I gave up in disgust.

It'll be awhile before I really get into a MMORPG again, I think.  I feel kind of betrayed.

Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like your first anal experience?

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't want to go there. Trust me.

SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Mojobacca wrote:
Kind of like your first anal experience?

Mine started with raising my right hand and saying something about following the orders of all the ass clowns appointed over me... Honestly you could say that my first is still on going....
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 'Hatte, as the resident (until recently) SWG player, I have a question for you. Are the Combat Upgrade changes finally done? If not, did they ever say when they were going to be completed? I was reading the Combat Update info on their site and it LOOKS like this could fix the combat system for the game, but if it was complete when you quit and you still say it's broken... well that just sucks.

Quote:

midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is complete.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is still a broken game?

Quote:

Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most definitely broken.

That's why I quit.

For a long time there, buffs could turn an individual into a super-juggernaut who could solo anything in the game short of a Krayt. This discouraged grouping. In an attempt to encourage cooperative play, they pulled the teeth on every combat class in the game. Including Jedi. Only the Bounty Hunters benefitted from this change. There are no real buffs any more, certainly not the kind that last three hours. Brandy is good for about five minutes now rather than forty.

Now, a master Commando/TKA has a hard time soloing a single piket, much less a lair. You MUST group now to be effective. As for Jedi, the lame thing is that Jedi "visibility" has gotten so bad that they can't even pull a saber to level anywhere in the galaxy without showing up on the terminals. The solution? A new $30 expansion where you get the planet Kashyyk which for some mystical reason provides Jedi with invisibility. The JTL expansion was terribly disappointing.

Don't even get me started on the XP reqs for Jedi.

After they first patched up to the Combat Upgrade, they offered the chance to "respec" your character. That is, you were allowed to completely change all of your professions and skill trees. WTF? I didn't spend a year and a half playing this character, developing a persona and a reputation, just to frivolously decide "you know what? I really think I'd rather dance" and then POOF I'm an entertainer, no grind or anything. Not gonna happen.

You must be hoping they at least threw us a bone. Yep, they did. New shiny flashy icons in the toolbar. OOH! Neato! Keen!

All in all, I would say the upgrade was a total failure. Specials and combo attacks don't work any more, many specials have now been reassigned to weapon classes instead, most of the strong weapons are now much weaker, and even if you switch weapons, there's enough of a delay during the switch that it's nigh-impossible to stack DoT effects.

In summary, I have to say that this combat upgrade was the straw that broke this camel's back.

Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here we are, six years since the last post. I tried out Star Wars Galaxies recently with a 14-day free trial and found the game to be servicable, and enjoyable. I made up a Smuggler and a Spy - I heard Jedi don't even get light sabers until level 25 and on a 14-day trial, I wasn't going to suffer that heartbreak.

The good:

I enjoyed the space combat, and the system for customizing spaceships. Travelling on the ground wasn't too bad, with vehicles you can pull out of your pocket when you need them and a free one right out of the tutorial. Instant travel was available and wasn't too expensive. Smuggler and Spy are both damage dealing classes - I found ground-based combat worked out all right, and the only issues I had with dying were comparable to other rpg's, where if you attack something too tough for your level or things accidentally link/aggro to you.

The bad:

Everything in the game felt like it was just one step more complicated than it needed to be. I have no comparason to the "early days" everyone else experienced so I'm not sure if it's better or worse. But in general the overall feeling was that things could've been streamlined just a little bit more. There wasn't an easy way to tell what the "defined role" was for the various classes based on the description, and the games attempt to have videos showing these classes in action were a joke. Tatooine seemed to be a non-stop PC party, and lag was pretty horrible there at times. The missions and quests are your standard MMO fare, which can get boring after a while.

But overall, it was Star Wars, and pretty cool at this point. I'm glad I didn't wade into it when it was a cesspool of disappointment. I think I had a good time trying it out at this point because I didn't have that previous experience to marr my expectations. My son's playing it on a 14-day trial now too, he's also enjoying it a lot so far.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I've done.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't even know the game was still being maintained.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: