The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oldboy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Oldboy Reply with quote

Anyone seen this movie? I watched it last night on my digital cable's "free movies ondemand". It's a Korean movie that takes your basic Count Of Monte Cristo premise and totally distorts and dements everything. It's easily the most screwed up plot I've ever seen in a movie. It took the place of Requiem For A Dream, but that made me turn away for graffic reasons. This movie made me wake up my whole house scream "Oh my f***ing God!" when I figured out the plot twist.

All I can say is, go out and rent it if you haven't seen it. It supposedly won the Cannes grand prize in 2003 with Terrantino chairing blah blah blah. Whatever, I know this flick is right up most of your alleys.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some pretty sick and twisted stuff in there but there's also a scene where he fights his way through a gang in a tight hallway with a hammer in one continuous shot, so it balances out.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like that, you should see Irreversible with Monica Bellucci. The French make a ton of dark stuff.
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy was sick, twisted, and awesome.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
If you like that, you should see Irreversible with Monica Bellucci. The French make a ton of dark stuff.

Watched that movie last night and I thought it really, really sucked. A nine minute continuous shout of Monica Belluci getting raped? Seriously, if you put such a deranged scene, it BETTER HAVE A PURPOSE!!!!

The sick stuff in Oldboy isn't why I liked it. The elaborate setup to the sick stuff is what I enjoyed.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did have a purpose, you theme retarded neanderthal. Plus, Monica Bellucci's hot. Even in that scene.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
It did have a purpose, you theme retarded neanderthal.

Please enlighten me. Memento and that Seinfeld episode came before this movie. Yeah "time destroys everything" blah blah blah. The last 40 minutes or so were so lame and pretentious.

CrushFearSynth wrote:

Plus, Monica Bellucci's hot. Even in that scene.

Yeah, I'll have trouble trowing down for awhile. I still feel sick over that ultra realistic rape scene. The dialogue was creepy and the sound effects all too real.

All that being said, Vincent Cassel has replaced Clive Owen as the actor I must see everything he's done. I dug him in Eastern Promises and Children Of Man kind of turned me away from Owen. A new world of pretension that one was. And Inside Man 2? WTF!

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't disagree more about Children of Men. You sure do have a funny idea about pretense.

The point of the rape scene was to make you feel precisely why he needed to die. The movie tries to play on a viewer's emotions in reverse. First, you see a completely horrific murder where a guy gets his skull crushed. And eventually it works its way to the act that sets his inevitable death in motion, and reverses your visceral reaction to the earlier scene into righteous anger. There's a bit more to it, but that suffices for the overall why.

Vincent Cassel is definitely a favorite over even the great Clive Owen. You might try watching Renegade. It was a Western based on a graphic novel, and gets very surreal.

It was The Following and then Memento. Not sure about any Seinfeld episode, I hated that show.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also find Renegade called Blueberry. Check out Brotherhood of the Wolf/Le Pacte des Loups or The Crimson Rivers for more Vincent Cassel action. Neither are mind blowing movies, but certainly solid enough to merit watching.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renegade was the American release title. I saw Brotherhood of the Wolf when it hit theatres. It wasn't half bad. What's Crimson Rivers about?
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrushFearSynth wrote:
Renegade was the American release title. I saw Brotherhood of the Wolf when it hit theatres. It wasn't half bad. What's Crimson Rivers about?

I've heard good things about Brotherhood Of The Wolf. Never got around to it, but I probably should.

Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson Rivers is about two French detectives investigating two different cases, one being a brutal murder, in this close knit, university town in the Alps. Jean Reno is the other lead, which is what sold it for me.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reno and Cassel? I will be hunting that one down as well.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched it. That is one crazy messed up movie.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Spike Lee is doing a remake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLcnrnEqyI
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Movies/TV/Music/Books All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: