The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussion of the week (3/28/05) - Gun Control
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen this?

This law is actually designed to challenge interstate commerce law, or rather the decision which led to current interstate commerce law. If successful, this could be huge for states rights and a reaffirmation of the 10th amendment.

Oh, and Utah is looking to follow suit.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie

Last edited by chowda on Sat May 09, 2009 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome find, Chowda!
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro-second amendment ruling in federal court: Link

It's an interesting ruling and I had to read the actual court opinion to understand exactly what the summation by the blogger was talking about.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe-Bombs not protected by 2nd amendment: Link
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felons and the Right to Bear Arms
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOST INTERESTING

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Stuff: http://www.reason.com/blog/show/136122.html

Score one for second and fourth amendment rights.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most heartily approve.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The responding officers should have been trained to discern the difference between unlawful activity and a person quietly watching a movie.

The responding officers shouldn't fucking NEED to be trained to tell the difference.

The real problem is that stories like this aren't in the mainstream news feed. Everyone and Leedon's Mom should be informed of stuff like this. It would cut down on bullshit calls to 911, AND let cops and civilians alike know that it's not ok to be dragged out into the street whenever a cop feels like it.

And don't get me started on taser abuse. I'm surprised they didn't tase the guy, since that seems to be step #1 in the arrest procedure nowadays.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The father of a friend of mine once said:

"Cops are what bullies grow up to be."

While an oversimplification, I do think that the force has a strong influence from those types, and it shows in these incidents. I'm not anti-cop at all, but I do think that a large number of them need to check their egos at the door and realize that

1) They're public servants, and the guy they're talking to is the public.
2) Not everyone is a criminal.

I can appreciate that it's difficult to shift roles when you run into the dregs all the time, but it's as much a part of their job description as knowing how to use that taser.

Police brutality is a particularly bad scenario for people because you're essentially not allowed to defend yourself in those circumstances. In no other case does society expect you to stand there and take it, which is why it's so completely unacceptable for them to cross those lines.

If I were having an argument with Joe Blow on the street and he pulled a taser out, I'd either run or shove it up his ass before he got to use it. Neither of these are options with the police. I have to stand there and hope he's going to be reasonable. It's a terrifying circumstance, because you're completely at their mercy.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the above is true, but the last thing I want is a cop losing a street fight.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with a cop losing a street fight if he shouldn't have started a damn street fight.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting that people should be able to defend themselves against cops in any but the most extreme of circumstances - that creates a bad situation.

I'm saying that we need police to have a lot of power and autonomy. They need the flexibility and authority to deal with unforseen situations as they develop on the ground. The answer is that we give them this power and simultaneously demand that they act in a trustworthy manner.

Mistakes and abuses need to be far more rare than they are. The notion of a cop planting drugs on someone is so common that it's part of our pop culture. This is completely unacceptable. Fired, jail, barred for life. Period.

We have a tendency to give a certain degree of blind support to people who put themselves in harm's way for us - soldiers, police, fireman. This is warranted, but it should not stop us from recognizing that an abuse of police power is every bit as despicable as an abuse of political office.

I have no reservations whatsoever about ending an officer's career over these issues. I also think that the penalties for a crime should be higher if committed by a police officer.

My standards for police behavior are high, as they should be. I ask no more than I would expect to give if I were doing that job. We've all been held to high standards before - and if someone doesn't want that then they're not cut out to be a good cop.

Fucking act like it.

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My state trooper buddy always complains about a few cowboy types he has to work with. Police work does appeal to those folks that simply want physical power over others, and it's not terribly difficult to behave long enough to get the badge. And once you're in, you're in, it's rare to see a cop get busted on his or her bad behavior. Except within their personal life - cheating on your spouse is a fireable offense for VA state troopers, and they usually do fire you for it. Same goes for abuse.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's rare to see a cop get busted on his or her bad behavior.

I think that's the key, here. Cops won't really be held accountable, no matter what the laws say, until Cops as a community decide that the douchebaggery isn't ok.

Y'know, since they're the ones that enforce the law. That Blue Wall Of Silence shit has to end for any of that to really get fixed.
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backlash from incidents is what causes any group to understand that douchebaggery in their midst hurts the rest of them, and must be dealt with internally for the good of all.

Fucking act like it.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short post on how the right to arms saved non-violent civil rights protesters in the 1960's and 1970's.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia.
Ryken
ludicrous cynic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gilbert, R-Woodstock, amended the bill this year to prohibit gun-toting bar patrons from consuming alcohol on the premises.

With this amendment, it seems reasonable enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: