The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Vawn/Puppet Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: For Vawn/Puppet Guide Reply with quote

Vawn was asking me to write some info down about PUP and how I play it, and some others were asking things as well. I'll try to keep it as short as possible, but that's not generally how things turn out for me. I realize there's an old thread on PUP, but it's so out of date and most all of the info has changed, so it's time for a new one. I'll focus mainly on level 75 here.

Attachments
The wiki has a pretty good page for looking up the attachments here. Your build will vary based on what you're doing, but here's some general things to get you started:

Damage
The sharpshot really is the king of damage unless you're fighting something rather large. Some people have success with the BLM head, but my experience is really limited with it since I have both BLM and SCH leveled. A typical attachment set for SS in a party with a decent tank looks like this:

Fire(6 total slots):
  • Attuner(2 Slots) - If you're fighting something VTish or higher then the Attuner will give you a solid increase in damage. There's really not enough info out there on this, so it's debatable when it becomes preferable to a Tension Spring. My rule of thumb is VT
  • Tension Spring II(3 slots) - Adds 10-25% to attack
  • Flame Holder(1 slot) - Normally adds about 20% damage to a WS
Wind(7 total slots):
  • Scope(2 slots) - Adds ranged accy
  • Turbo Charger(2 slots) - Adds Haste
Thunder(6 total slots):
  • Targer Marker(2 slots) - This is the companion piece to the Attuner mentioned above. Nobody is completely sure how it works, but it improves accuracy on tougher mobs. Again, rule of thumb use it on VT and higher.
  • Stabilizer I or II(2 or 3 slots) - Adds Accy
  • Coiler(2 slots) - If you use Stabilizer I, then you can add the Coiler also. The wiki says it adds a significant amount of Double Attack. To be honest, my results aren't quite that good. It doesn't seem to proc much at all for me, so I'm still iffy on it. It's the newest attachment though.
That's my base 7-8 attachments, then I fill in the rest situationally:
  • Optic Fiber - Said to add 10% effect to other attachments. This is another that isn't full known.
  • Stealth Screen - Reduces Enmity.
  • Heat Sink - Can be used to lower overload rates. Depending on the camp you might be pushing a lot of fire.
  • Flashbulb - Hate free flash is nice if you don't have a PLD in the pt, or are really careful.
  • Eraser - Removes harmful status effects. You have to be careful with this one though because it's easy to overload if you use it a lot
  • Mana Jammer - Magic defense for -ga's
  • Schurzen - I don't use this one often, but it'll remove an earth maneuver to prevent puppet death. It's solid in cases where you know there's a lot of AOE, but it's not often that you'll use an earth.
  • Replicator - Turns Wind maneuvers in to blink shadows. This one seems useful, but more often than not just ends up pissing me off.
You'll notice there's not a lot of defense in the mix, and the reason is that puppets just don't have a lot of it. You can add some +15% attachments, but what you end up with is still insignificant. Your best option is to make sure you don't let it take a hit.

Healing
The WHM puppet really only needs a few attachments to be functional, and then you throw whatever else on you feel like.

Ice:
  • Mana Booster - Increases the rate at which he casts spells

Water:
  • Condenser - Erases a water to prevent overload. It's a lot easier to overload the mage puppet since it tends to have more things that "Eat Maneuvers"

Light:
  • Flashbulb - Normally I'm tanking with WHM head out. Again, if you have a PLD this one is probably out.
  • Eraser - Usually a good idea since you'll normally have a light maneuver up.
  • Damage Gauge - Lowers the hp at which the Auto will trigger a cure. Sometimes I take this off because I get tired of him casting cure V when I'm at 700/1050 hp. Normally right after I take it off I regret it.

Dark:
  • Mana Converter - 50% convert on a 3 minute timer is usually nice so long as you're not worried about AOE wiping you right afterwards.
  • Economizer - This one is converts dark maneuvers to straight mp. The least you'll see is a free 140 mp every 3 minutes.
  • Mana Conserver - Adds Conserve MP. I normally end up with this one on just because I only have one dark slot left.

The rest of the space I normally fill in with defense or attk/accy things. They're generally not too important.

Merits
My merits are pretty straight forward. Right now I have the following:
H2H: 8/8
Eva: 3/4

Puppet Ranged: 2
Puppet Melee: 2
Puppet Magic: 3

Role Reversal: 1
Ventriloquy: 1
Fine Tuning: 3
Optimization: 5

I originally planned on taking Puppet Magic to 5 to get Blizzard IV, but the more I think about it, I've already got two jobs that can nuke, and I almost never use the BLM head. I might roll those out eventually and do 5 and 5 to ranged and melee.

Role Reversal and Ventriloquy are pretty much must haves for the situation, but I don't see the value in lowering the timer more. Fine Tuning is +5 accy per upgrade which is nice, and Optimization is +5% attk. Maxed Optimization is basically perma-berserk without the missing def.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your damage setup, you're using the ranger version but does the automaton melee as well? If not, as applicable to a real rng, haste and double attack do nothing for /ra, or is the automaton unique in this?
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ana. Yeah, the ranger puppet meles as well.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banzai_Kitty wrote:
For your damage setup, you're using the ranger version but does the automaton melee as well? If not, as applicable to a real rng, haste and double attack do nothing for /ra, or is the automaton unique in this?

Interesting thing with him. If you deploy him outside of about 10', he'll run in and melee. If you deploy him inside of 10' he'll stay where he's at. If the mob moves, he won't follow it unless it gets a good distance out of range.

Unlike ranger, distance doesn't have a huge impact on Puppets. There were a few people out there who were running tests, and it actually looked like closer was better.

He'll melee, just not well really. That's mostly there just to help build TP. From the kParser thread, he had about 60% melee accy vs. imps that night. Imps suck though because it's hard to keep maneuvers up, and 1 Thunder will usually be enough to keep him hitting a respectable rate.

If you use one of the melee heads with the ranger body, he'll run in and attack, but this is always the #1 sign of a bad PUP because that lowers his ranged attack rate. He only shoots about every 20 seconds with the ranger head, and that number scales down with the other heads. According to wiki it's every 37 seconds with the tank head.

So, if hate is bouncing all over the place, and the mob is moving that really hurts the ranger puppet's damage output.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to join Dynamis now, the PUP relic doesn't look too bad. At least since PUP can't equip much good DD gear.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Pantin_Attire_Set
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vawn wrote:
You need to join Dynamis now, the PUP relic doesn't look too bad. At least since PUP can't equip much good DD gear.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Pantin_Attire_Set

Yeah, I saw. It's funny that since I've gone out and gotten some hard to get gear, some of that is less useful, but most of it would be nice in one way or another. The big winner is definitely the back piece.

Best current back for PUP is attk+6. The Dynamis is DEX+5 and Attk+15 for auto and master.

Haste on hands is nice too since I don't think there's another haste hands piece.
Vawn
call me housecoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yobun was thinking of joining TU, so you should come too.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over committed in FF as it is. If I do some Dynamis it'll probably be with the Eminence shell since they don't seem too freaky about attendance. I still don't really love the idea of Dynamis though.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played in a year and a half, but F-You SE for about 4 years too late:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/16436
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> FFXI - Final Fantasy Online All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: