The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Code Geass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Code Geass Reply with quote

A friend got me interested in this, and I just marathon'd the first season. This anime is absolutely amazing. The 2nd season is nearing the end right now, which I'm in the process of downloading; the 2nd season is the planned end of the series, so it won't get dragged out, which is good.

The story takes place in a futuristic Earth, where the mighty "Britannian" empire has taken over most of the world, including Japan, designating each of the areas with a number name, stripping them of their identity (Japan is Area 11, therefore its citizens are "Elevens").

A young high school student in Area 11 stumbles across a power he calls Geass, the power to order anyone to do his bidding, though it has limitations. He must have direct eye contact with the target, and it can only be used on each individual person once, ever. It's very similar to Death Note in the sense of boy genius stumbles on power and uses it to change the world, but in this case the main character uses his power to create a resistance against the Britannian empire, while trying not to let his power corrupt him.

It's absolutley amazing so far, from what I have seen of it. Definitely worth checking out.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Roomate loves this anime as well. Seems pretty neat to me for a psuedo-space opera.

Quote:
the 2nd season is the planned end of the series, so it won't get dragged out, which is good.

Pretty much every anime loses all direction, voice and hence stops being good after 2 seasons anyway. there seems to be a trend in Anime to move back to making good, shorter series rather than drag crap out after establishing a good foot hold like Naruto and Bleach.../shudder.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midget wrote:

Pretty much every anime loses all direction, voice and hence stops being good after 2 seasons anyway. there seems to be a trend in Anime to move back to making good, shorter series rather than drag crap out after establishing a good foot hold like Naruto and Bleach.../shudder.

In my limited experience with anime, the single season shows seem to always end with everyone important dead or the world blowing up to show that man is evil and needs to be destroyed.

Even the one "normal" anime classic I watched, Whisper Of The Heart, only had a 9 second abrupt happy ending. It's like the writer's Japanese brain went on overload and zapped his or her body with every positive word that was written for the last scene.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a fan of this one.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the first time I've heard good things about this show. I'll get around to watching it someday. Same goes for Death Note.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last episode aired today. Great ending in my opinion, this is definitely one of the best anime I've seen overall.
Deathforce
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the first season, this anime is awesome to the max.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was seriously confused for a bit since I missed the last episode of season 1, but 10 episodes into season 2 I'm back on track. Definitely one of the best animes in a long time.
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the first 7 or 8 episodes, and I am enjoying it, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. There must be a moment of revelation I have not hit yet, because I can see potential in the story and it is consistently getting more complex which I like.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the closest thing to a Shakespearean tragedy as anime can get. Actually, think of it as if Shakespeare decided to tackle the Arthurian legend. With big robots.
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charcoal_tIMC wrote:
Watched the first 7 or 8 episodes, and I am enjoying it, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. There must be a moment of revelation I have not hit yet, because I can see potential in the story and it is consistently getting more complex which I like.

The first little bit is definitely a build-up, but some of the twists that come about mid-way will get you, and by the end of season 1 you will be completely hooked.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This series can't download quick enough. Come oooon. Come onnnnnn. Come OOONNN. Wait, I have a cunning plan:

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 episodes in. This series is flipping awesome! It has a bit of a Dune vibe, but I'm dying to see more of the geopolitical situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Anime All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: