The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LittleBigPlanet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izane Bricks
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: LittleBigPlanet Reply with quote

I got into the Beta and it is phenomenal so far. The co-op on line play, the humor, the levels, the music, and the dry sarcastic wit make this a winner in my book.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my buddies is in the Beta as well and he says the same thing. This is the only thing that makes me even remotely interested in buying a PS3.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slashdot had an article on this. It mentioned as guy who built a functional calculator in the game.
Loupy Lobo
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How funny are we talking? Like conker's Bad Fur Day funny?
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PA is raving, but I'm not going to breakdown & buy a GD Playstation.

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS3 is a great system. Price is the only valid reason for not wanting one.

One day I hope there is only one common console format, same as we have with DVD's for movies and CD's for music. Then everyone can just enjoy the goddamn games and stop spouting fanboy faggotry. (Not directing this at you, Mish, just making a general point.)
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hadn't seen anything so far on PS3 that motivated me towards spending the cash for one. This is definitely tempting though.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefering one system over another has nothing to do with being a fanboy. This is just the first title on the PS3 that is a must own because there's nothing else like it and it won't be available on any other system.

Is this game local multiplayer ie more than one player on one system? That's the one thing I hate about the 360. There's about 4 games on the whole damn system you can actually play multiplayer on local.
"People really donít like to hear success explained away as luck ó especially successful people. As they age, and succeed, people feel their success was somehow inevitable. They donít want to acknowledge the role played by accident in their lives. There is a reason for this: the world does not want to acknowledge it either." -- Michael Lewis
Mishlai
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One day I hope there is only one common console format

Seems like there are good technical reasons for this to not be the case. Games are optimized for that console, and having a common format would seem to imply either doing everything the same way as the competition (stifle innovation) or having an interpreter or operating system to translate the common format into commands for the specific hardware.

Maybe a virtual common platform could be created that would take a base code and optimize it for each platform, so you could write once and run anywhere, but natively. I think that's the sort of thing that only looks good on paper though, particularly because by time you got it ironed out the next gen of consoles would be released.

Perhaps the console makers could release the development tools to convert standard format into machine code for their platform when the console itself was released... that might work, but how would you account for new features that couldn't be expressed by the standard format?

Fucking act like it.

"The stars died so that you could be here today" - Lawrence Krauss

"The universe is huge and old, and rare things happen all the time." - Lawrence Krauss
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only one format\platform means game makers do not have to waste months and money basically recoding the same game to work on another system. They can spend all of that extra time and money making a better game. And making a better game is the entire point. Competition wouldn't be affected in the slightest, nor would innovation. Basically, the competition would be between the game companies themselves instead of looking like game makers vs. game makers and console makers vs. console makers and game makers vs. console makers. And innovation would be with the games themselves, which is how it should be. I know that if I like a movie, I can go out and get it and watch it. With games, I have to decide which platform I want it for, since each one offers different features on every cross platform game. As for new features, well.....you do have a PC, don't you? Since when has innovation ever been hampered with that platform? PC games are cheaper than console games precisely because they will always use the same coding and software engineering techniques, and they will always incorporate these "new features" that their console port counterpart has. And upgrades come out all the time. It would be a matter of a click. On a PC, that would be your mouse. On a standardized gaming format, it would probably be your T.V. remote or controller. And if there is a new hardware release, they could do the same thing Dish Network does with the ridiculous amounts of new controller boxes they seem to develop every month: send you a new one and you send back the old, if you want it. All shiny new features, same basic functionality.

Quote:

Prefering one system over another has nothing to do with being a fanboy.

You've definitely attacked the PS3 a time or two with very fanboy sounding reasoning.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midget wrote:
Is this game local multiplayer ie more than one player on one system? That's the one thing I hate about the 360. There's about 4 games on the whole damn system you can actually play multiplayer on local.

Yes, you can play multiplayer locally.
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've definitely attacked the PS3 a time or two with very fanboy sounding reasoning.

Saying the 360 actually has good games is not fanboy. Fanboy would be saying, oh it's Microsoft, it's better.
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm talking about all the smack you've talked about the PS3 in the past, not the praise you've given the 360. Don't even try to deny it. Plus, saying the 360 actually has good games implies that PS3 doesn't, and that is complete horsehockey. Not only is almost every single game on the 360 also available for the PS3(with better graphics; and display resolutions until recently), the exclusive titles are mostly fuckall awesome. I actually prefer the exclusives available on the PS3 to the exclusives available on the 360, but I would never do something retarded like swear off the 360 for that reason. Perhaps if it came down to a money issue, I'd buy one over the other, but it isn't so there was no justification to choose either. I just got them all and am enjoying the heck out of some games.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a puzzle game, or a platform game?

It seems like it is being over hyped.
Banzai_Kitty
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's both. Ms. Kiki was kind enough to supply me with a spare beta code and I'd say it lives up to the hype. It's charming, has great graphics and is a heck of a lot of fun to play.
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://littlebigplanet.us.playstation.com/

Quote:
LittleBigPlanet Release Update
By SackBoy103 Last Updated: 10/17/2008 3:24:29 PM

We're sure that most of you have heard by now that one of the background music tracks that was licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense this may have caused.

We will begin shipping LittleBigPlanet to retail in North America the week of October 27th.

We understand this is unfortunate news for everybody, including us. Know we will do whatever we can to get LittleBigPlanet in your hands as soon as possible.

Discussion at slashdot:
http://games.slashdot.org/games/08/10/17/1754239.shtml
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muslims always ruin everything!
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsakiki wrote:
http://littlebigplanet.us.playstation.com/

Quote:
LittleBigPlanet Release Update
By SackBoy103 Last Updated: 10/17/2008 3:24:29 PM

We're sure that most of you have heard by now that one of the background music tracks that was licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologize for any offense this may have caused.

We will begin shipping LittleBigPlanet to retail in North America the week of October 27th.

We understand this is unfortunate news for everybody, including us. Know we will do whatever we can to get LittleBigPlanet in your hands as soon as possible.

Discussion at slashdot:
http://games.slashdot.org/games/08/10/17/1754239.shtml

Wow, what a bunch of bitches.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
tsakiki
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement from Media Molecule (the game developer) and responses: http://www.mediamolecule.com/2008/10/17/and-in-other-news/#comments

What I don't understand is why so many people are canceling their pre-orders. Nothing's really changed, they just have to wait an extra week or two to get the game.
Exzavier
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the PSP version and this game blows there is no point to it and it is boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Games (General) All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: