The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Star Wars: The Old Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a monthly or yearly subscriptions, it will either be pay-to-play or pay-while-play.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video Documentary #1
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUST... RESIST

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
TeflonJon
Brigadier Rookie
Brigadier Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't you say the same thing about SWG?
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck you man

fuck you

i mean for real

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For realsies?
Akuma
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original concept of a KOTOR MMO intrigues me. Some of the ideas they have put on the table however do not. Limiting several encounters or events to only being able to be completed once doesn't appeal to me at all; only the hardcore people will ever see some of the best content. Teaming up with your friends to down a really powerful guy has always been the MMO formula and has always been extremely epic; getting rid of crazy boss encounters sounds like a big mistake to me.

I dunno, Bioware is awesome, KOTOR is awesome, but I think they are messing with what works way too much.
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akuma wrote:
I dunno, Bioware is awesome, KOTOR is awesome, but I think they are messing with what works way too much.

Umm, yeah. Tell that to SOE.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyco wrote:
Is there a single person who found something to enjoy in that "first video footage" of Star Wars: The Old Republic? I heard the same incredibly tired, bulk bin message discipline, only this time it was stuck together with context-free wads of video.

They're continually telling us about their mystical Story Pillar, and how other online role-playing games don't have story, but this is a flatly ignorant statement. I don't believe they said it out of malice, but sometime prior to their presumptive coronation they may want to consider playing games in the genre. Independent of developer intention, narratives spring quite readily out of social play. Asheron's Call has not only story but time, with updates almost every month to progress the world. If you've checked out Wrath of the Lich King - a dangerous act, surely - you know that the new expansion is radically unlike their previous attempts, and leverages new technology to deliver a kind of narrative that players progress on their own schedule. When Bioware talks about grievous decision making in real-time that will forever shape their character, I don't think that's what people actually want in this kind of experience. Games of this kind get codified very quickly, transforming your best attempts at story width into golden, optimal paths. We don't know what it actually means to make story central to an online game you can play with friends, who are themselves in various states of completion. We don't know because they haven't actually said.

The image of an ignited lightsaber is an icon with tremendous power, but it's one way of being in an entire Goddamned universe. It looks patently ridiculous to strike a monster more than twice with an infinitely sharp laser beam, and the whirling idiots in these clips look like they're auditioning for Thriller. There was once many ways to explore this setting in videogames, as the pilots, mercenaries, and soldiers forced to live in a place where insane monks engage in perpetual religious war. It's the better story, frankly. Bioware has their work cut out for them.

I definitely agree with "...as the pilots, mercenaries, and soldiers forced to live in a place where insane monks engage in perpetual religious war. It's the better story, frankly." And I think that right there could be sold as a great massive, where the characters, instead of living in aww of the Jedi, view them with contempt and hate, sort of how we view politicians and terrorists. There's nothing wrong with a Star Wars game where you can't be a Jedi, as long as it is done correctly.

I also agree with his comment about the light saber and fighting creatures.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a Star Wars game where you can't be a Jedi, as long as it is done correctly.

I would say that no one has ever done the Jedi correctly, especially with regards to player access. There really is no way to do a game where you can't be Jedi incorrectly. All the other lifestyles are grounded in realism, stuff you can relate to. The Jedi philosophy, on the other hand, is an attempt to ascend beyond human nature(or eschew it, as I see it) by ridding oneself of emotional connections to everyone and everything, which most people have no inkling about. If we did, Buddhism wouldn't be such a difficult path to walk. Besides, there's no way you can effectively defend people if you don't care about them. Then there's the fact that the only real reason why the Jedi teach that stuff is to keep from falling to the Dark Side, and it doesn't seem to work very well. If no one could use the Force, and there were no Jedi, the galaxy would be much better off. There's nothing the Jedi can do that simple, mundane diplomats can't in the grand scheme of things. I bet if our Senators had cool powers, nothing would be any different.
ThunderMyke
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderMyke's list of demands in order to forgive BioWare for the former game's atrocities

Crafting: (if they have it) Less complication, more considerable rewards. I'll not go into this as crafting in the former game was a lot less fun after the NGE came out and was the main reason for leaving.

PvP:
The developers are going to have to seriously level out the playing field in PvP. There should be no CLEAR class choice for PvP as with the former game.

Comments:
Am I wrong for never having liked the Jedi-concept. Even way back in the day when I first saw the movies, I felt more sorry for the stormtroopers getting shot up than Ben buying the farm. But I do like the concept of a futuristic MMORPG. They just gotta figure out how to get Fallout into MMORPG.
Leedon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and yet I disagree with TM. I think that SWG crafting was done right in the way that it made it so people who truely wanted to play crafters were successful and the mouthbreathers were left simply confused and making shells of objects without real stats. They didn't bother to balance out the NGE crafters against each other and against drops. That's their PvP and PvE and it's shit.

So far from what I've seen, I kind of like the art in it's different from most MMOs. The concept is fine, Starwars, a bunch of people, big places, etc. You make an extra dude to be your friend and guide them light or dark, KotOR-ish, but could be cool if you can put them away sometimes.

What I don't like is Bioware's attitude. I watched an interview of people talking about the game and how they came up such original ideas. For the most part, they described the definition of an MMO. At the end I thought, "Good... I'm glad you understand what you're making..."

-Lee
It makes no sense to me.

-Flirtin' with Disaster, Molly Hatchet
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have learned to never listen to game developers talk about their games. They are always sound and fury signifying jack shit. Especially with regards to Fallout 3. Fun game and all, but it was in no way, shape or form a Fallout game. And I base that opinion on the content of the story, writing and interactions, not on anything mechanical.

I'm just hoping the classes are unique and interesting enough to make you want to play them, maybe enough so that you don't want to go the way of the Jedi.
ThunderMyke
Settler
Settler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm with Lee there on both accounts.
Crafter PvE was the main reason for my leaving the formergame. I had crafted several weapons from the best resources I could muster and went out looking for NGE variants. Needless to say the stats of NGE loot variants from trash mobs that didn't take more than a few seconds to kill, were similar damage ratios and added +15stats to your NGE physical attributes. No competition in that.

I did rather fine with the crafting system itself. The point I found so complicated (maybe confounding should've been the word) that there was really no common ground between a new crafter (or one that took a hiatus) and old crafter like you have with two BHs at level 70 of similar skill level. The older players had resources of quality and quantity such that a newer player was unable to compete with (and some game reagents/items were discontinued). If the game had like for example 10 different resources of Dantooine Wooly Hide and rotated them (putting the prime stuff on a more rare occasion) then crafter PvP would be more sporting. Instead the older crafter has reserves of resources that had 100% to all required quality stats in the 100's of thousands, while the newer crafter is stuck for the next few months with whatever is available.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked the resource stats to quality system of the former game's crafting system, but the propensity of the system to spit out sub-par resources and then having to wait a week or two for them to update was no fun at all.

The dev's might have changed the crafting system, maybe it's better, but crafting after the NGE was a lot like the description of MacOS in the pictures forum.
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of new info about this game. Trailer that really has no gameplay(I'm assuming) in it, but is none-the-less kind of bad ass here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvbv-LkK6w

3 of the classes have been announced. From the website you'd assume that there will be 8 total:

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes

Looks interesting. The announcement that all text in the game will have voice acting is interesting. Good voice acting is nice. Bad voice acting... I'd rather just read the text personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on ign:

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/videos/gcom09_oldrepublic_spc1_082109.html

Edit: Just finished watching all 4 parts. Part 3/4 have an example of a group based quest that has some really promising ideas. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god I cannot wait for this game.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this will be something very special if they have enough content. I'm interested on how the mission system will actually work. Will you need to have certain classes for missions or will the NPS's alter around you?

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Lotan
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta sign up is up

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20090929_001

I use the term "up" loosely. Apparently the servers have been getting hammered.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Star Wars MMO beta signup server getting hammered? ORLY?
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Star Wars: The Old Republic All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: