The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Champions Online & Aion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of that.

Any characters I make from now on are probably going to be custom. I haven't played around with a character builder much, so I don't know a lot, but it seems that you will want to take the first two powers of the same type if you are shooting for a power with low prereqs. Later powers probably aren't a big deal since you have time to get the prereqs done, either within spec or out of spec.

Oh, I got a Gadgeteer to 8. The pets from that are... weird.

The Munition pets are very similar to Star Craft human tanks. They do light cone damage when following you around, but you can make them transform into immobile artillery, which does much higher damage. The AI for them blows ass, though. You pretty much have to dismiss them between every fight. And when you summon, they are in mobile mode and you have to wait like 4 sec to shift them into artillery mode, which is annoying to say the least. And there's no Key Bind for Pet Attack like every other MMO in the world. When running from fight to fight, the pets will sometimes stop and wait for 5 seconds or so and then continue moving after you. And they can't handle obstacles well. Pathing sucks. If you are a flyer, the pets just stand there stupidly until approach the ground (although they will wait 5 seconds before moving in your direction).

The melee pet summon summons only one whereas the munitions summons two. You can summon a second by tapping the power once and then immediately again. The second takes the requisite 5 seconds to figure out that you have a fighting target and then moves to attack. It only lasts another 5 to 10 seconds before it unsummons itself. And these exhibit the same flight behavior.

The Medical pet summon summons two flying drones that heal you for 10 per sec each. That's really pretty abysmal since a Villain (second rank mob) of one level lower can still outdamage that heal. And the heal will stop after about 10 seconds for the same damned 5 second pause. They fly, but they can't keep up with the Flight travel power at it's fastest.

In short, pet mechanics in this game is so far sub-par that I'm not surprised that I'm the only gadgeteer I've seen so far.

On a positive and unrelated note, I learned something about respeccing. If you respec all the way back to the beginning, you can choose all your powers first, and then choose advantages afterwards. If you wanted to, you could use all your advantage points (say gained in the 20s) on one of the starter powers that you got at level 1. It doesn't level you back up like a respec in CoH/CoV did. I'm sure that will get fixed some day, though.

As far as crafting goes in the early levels, it seems that it's only useful for making bags. Quest rewards are a great deal better than craftable items.

Well, that's my first impression from about a week's worth of gameplay.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regeneration is OVERPOWERED!!!!

Couple that with a block power that reflects damage (like Ebon Void, I think) and you can block something to death.

Regeneration has a better effect if you don't attack. It starts out healing X per 2 sec. It increases to something like double effectiveness if you don't attack for a while, all while taking damage. Once you start attacking, it reduces itself back to base value in the same amount of time. At level 12 with it at Rank3, it was healing something like 150 per 2 sec. Couple that with the Science gathering health regen buff, I was outhealing a master villain.
Core meltdown (commonly known as a meltdown) is an accident scenario in nuclear reactors, and is one of the possible modes of failure for light water reactors, during which the reactor pile turns into a pile of reactor.
---RationalWiki

If Jesus had existed, his DNA would have been 99% similar to that of a chimpanzee. Or you. You're 99% Jesus.
-- RationalWiki
Glistam
I plead the Third
I plead the Third

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't attack then how do you win a fight? Something that's only powerful when you're not fighting doesn't strike me as overpowered.

What I've been doing.
What I'm also doing.
What I wish I did more of.
What I've done.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't attack then how do you win a fight?

You can still be 'in combat'. When you get low on health, you just block until your hp are high enough, dish out damage until you get low again, repeat.
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a block mechanism in Champions... you can actively provide yourself with a massively increased damage resistance. Like dropping damage down to 1/4 of the incoming.

Since most attacks at level 30 (since my main is around that level) only do about 150, you can compare to a more level appropriate amount.

This equates to no effective damage being dealt.

Now some power sets have a "Block Enhancing" power. Electricity has a damage shield effect. Each block equates to damage to the attacker. Since this allows one to basically let a mob/group of mobs kill themselves while you take no damage at all... that makes for a very powerful combo.

The reason why regen is so bad is that if a regen character is being attacked, he'll just turtle. When that happens, it takes a whole team of 5 to single him out in order to kill him. And even that won't be quick.

Everyone knows regen is overpowered. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Unfortunately, it's not just that it's overpowered by itself. Blocking needs to be revisited as it's a massive damage reduction. The game introduced charged attacks and the NPC's have indicators showing the charging up of said powers so that players can block to prevent themselves from taking massive (and it is from NPC's) damage. This is cool, but instead of a making it such a huge reduction in general damage, they should have made it provide more of a gimmick protection.

Because of (1) Regen, (2) Blocking [and it's enhancing powers] and (3) Teleport, PvP is no fun to me.

It blows that you get a player down to 1/4 health, he starts blocking and you either switch targets or keep him pinned. If you opt for the pinning, it only works until he's ready to teleport away and you'll never see where he reappears and his regen has him back up to full in no time.

This is the downside of an open system of character creation... min/max at it's best.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I don't mind the min/maxing. It's a superhero game, some people are gonna be superman or wolverine, and some people prefer to play spiderman-level heroes.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main point wasn't the damage dealt from blocking, that was just a side-note really. Haven and Mojo hit the nail on the head with the damage reduction coupled with blocking.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the min/max thing either... except it makes PvPing pointless for me as I don't min/max. Damn my desire for concept characters.

Quote:
DEATHFORCE: There are certainly crazy things you can do with this game, you can generate a world that is 3 times the size of earth before it starts having errors, although I dont know how long it would take to generate a world that large anyways lol

TRASSIN: I'm guessing about 21 days? Assuming you take a break every 7th day or so.
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect regen to get more of a diminishing return while blocking to come along. it's the only way to nerf it for PVP but not cripe it for PVP. Either that or have it have a reduced effect inside arenas but I don't see that.

And turtling is no problem for me since mose people with regen don't have good stregnth and thus have hard time breaking tangible holds =D

Zombies > crippling coils > arcace sigils > devouring essence is wonderful i find

actually any good powerful hold will do but i can see your point since it's hard to concept and build for PVP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SPyder
Brigadier Trainee
Brigadier Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongolio wrote:
As far as crafting goes in the early levels, it seems that it's only useful for making bags. Quest rewards are a great deal better than craftable items.

Level 3 crafting is a lot more complex and useful. Admittedly level 1 and 2 provided me with bigger bags and a few consumables, but not much else. Level 3 surprised me with customizable stuff.
Kellion
Brigadier Recruit
Brigadier Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Customizable item creation. I love crafting in MMO's. Not really sure why. I wish more of them used this system.

I think I would like it more if it used a combination between this and the one from EQ2 where you could fail or make really good items every now and then. But this is pretty useful.
Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the Halloween event. Two days!
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never see any of yous guys on. Oh, and Guy is on an extended outage, so I'm probably going to be on and off playing CO for a while. I'm playing DDO now, too.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Mojobacca
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I ended up cancelling my account until the outage is over. 6 on, 2 off for about 14 hours a day really suck for gaming.

Quote:

Haven
Brigadier
Brigadier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sucks for everything.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might pop back in when they make the Celestial set available to all (idiotic that they give it to some at first...). When is that supposed to be, anyways? I can't look stuff like that up at work.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's today, and it's a series of open world quests you do to unlock it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the quests soloable? Do you have to be level 40 to unlock?
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Phoenixhr
Brigadier Aspirant
Brigadier Aspirant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not soloable unless you're in the mid 30s, but anyone group can do it. It's an open worlds so generally there are lots of people doing it. Boss has about 86k of HP.

And everyone will get the powerset on 11/10, but you'll miss out on the perks if you don't do the event.
Mongolio
Brigadier Elite
Brigadier Elite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so much a perk whore as a lot are. I have too many alts for that.
---RationalWiki

-- RationalWiki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Online Games All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: