The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Soccer Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Silliness and Forum Fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Random Soccer Thread Reply with quote

Currently watching Valencia beat down Real Madrid, 3 - 0.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched Millwall beat Leeds United in the League 1 (English 3rd division) playoffs. In England, the four teams that don't get automatic promotion play a home and away series followed by a final at Wembley to see who gets that last promotion spot. League 1 had a very interesting playoffs this year.

Scunthorpe United play in a dirtwater town and were a common punchline to jokes before being promoted two straight seasons and then getting relegated in 2008.

Leeds United were in the Champions League semifinal in 2001, went bust, got relegated in 2004, lost the playoff final in 2006, got relegated in 2007, would have been automatically promoted last year if not for the 15 point bankruptcy deduction, and lost in the playoffs last year.

MK Dons used to be Wimbledon FC, a sometime top division team, but the owner actually moved them waaay on the other side of London to Milton Keynes (MK). They built a brand new stadium and were promoted from League 2 last year. Wimbledon fans formed their own team that they own. AFC Wimbledon will be playing in Conference National next year, two steps below MK Dons if they don't win the playoffs.

Then there's Millwall. If you've ever seen a hooligan movie (Green Street Hooligans and Football Factory are two decent ones, but Gary Oldman's The Firm (1988) is the best) Millwall thugs are always the bad guys. There's a reason for that. Their fanbase came from lowerclass dockworkers. Combine that with the inbred nature of the Isle Of The Dogs in London and you got some pretty scarey people. As a hip American soccer fan an ocean away, I approve of their promotion.

Usually the lower league playoffs is when I find out certain teams exist. I actually know a few Leeds fans, MK Dons used to always be in the news, and Millwall is just fun to hear stories about.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super pumped Celtic tied Hibs Sunday. Rangers tied Hibs midweek after beating Celtic for a two point lead with two games left. They need to win on Sunday to clinch their 52nd title. Celtic have something like 44.

Sound like a boring league? Not really when you consider the sectarian rivalry in Glasgow. Celtic supporters sing songs about fucking the Queen, the greatness of the IRA, and how they'll throw a party when Thatcher dies. Ranger fans waive the Union Jack, sing "fuck the Pope", and of the greatness of the famine. Mucho violence throughout the city ensues.

My favorite diddy is now banned.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the USA v Costa Rica world cup qualifying match.

For some reason ESPN isn't showing it in HD and Comcast has it listed on the wrong channel.

edit: I'm really curious what type of surface they are playing on. It almost looks to fast to be grass. The players are wearing regular cleats though, so I guess it is.

Also, I really hope the USA can start playing better in their other qualifying matches. They are very unimpressive right now.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounders FC are tearing it the hell up.

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the bar. We sucked tonight. The US has never won in Costa Rica during a qualifier. The surface is old school astroturf, maybe worse. In other words, a rug on top of concrete. At least there are 3 1/2 spots from the CONCACAF region. When there were only two like in the 1998 qualifiers, out players were hit with batteries by their fans.

But the Honduras match in Chicago on Saturday is huge now. Mexico started off slow, but they will make it to the World Cup. Costa Rica just passed us for first in the standings. We can't drop home points, though.

Oh, and the reason why we want to finish first or second is that we will be a #2 seed when they do the World Cup draw. If not, we'll be a #3 seed and could wind up in a group with, say, England and Brazil. That would suck. Then again, I say bring on England in a meaningful competition. I've been itching to fight some of them cocksuckers I watch EPL with at the bar on Saturday mornings. Smile

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madhatte wrote:
Sounders FC are tearing it the hell up.

Sigi Schmid's on his boys
Sigi Schimd's on his boys
la la la la HEY!
la la la la HEY!

Oh Seattle (oh Seattle)
Is full of shit (is full of shit)
Oh Seattle is full of shit
It's filled will Kurt Cobain shrapnel
Oh Seattle is full of shit

You're going home with a girl that needs a shave
a girl that needs a shave, a girl that needs a shave

Oh yeah, Seattle away, love it. Smile

Madhatte
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ole, OLE
You got spanked in SoDO today
Hope you liked the scene-er-ay
YOU'RE STILL LOSERS

We are going to have to stick a pin in a map, set fire to something and carry on until the earth looks flat! -- RandyMac

I could teach you to how file a washer to make it worth a nickel but if you really want to make big bucks just take a penny and drill a hole in it and it becomes a washer and is worth a dime. -- Art Martin, Old-Time Logger
CrushFearSynth
Brigadier Survivor
Brigadier Survivor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CARAJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing Egypt sucks because the USA still doesn't look very good.

edit: I also really wish they would ban horns and other random noise makers form international matches, especially when they are going to be televised. Hearing constant high pitched noise being broadcast in the background for the entire game is very annoying.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
It's a good thing Egypt sucks because the USA still doesn't look very good.

I watched the US game with about 100 people next to Gillette stadium ahead of the Revs game. What happened was nearly impossible. The US needed to beat Egypt by three to overcome goal differential with them and Italy had to lose to Brazil by three, too. Both games ended 3-0 and we play Sapin on Wednesday and are guaranteed two more games with our first team in the World Cup 2010 venue. Completely awesome.
Trassin wrote:

edit: I also really wish they would ban horns and other random noise makers form international matches, especially when they are going to be televised. Hearing constant high pitched noise being broadcast in the background for the entire game is very annoying.

No kidding. When the Mexican team the Revs played tonight were attacking our end, we made "heahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" noises simulating that gawd awful sound, Funny stuff.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do hope the FIFA passes a rule against having those at major international matches, at least for the World Cup.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sold out PGE PArk for the Portland Timbers - Seattle Sounders US Open Cup match right now (about 16k with 800 standing room tickets sold).

Watch here. Gotta sign up, but the service is free.

When they were both in the USL, Portand's Timbers Army put Seattle's fans to shame. Now that Seattle joined MLS and have had wildly impressive success at the box office, the renewal of their rivalry is a pretty sweet spectacle.

And FWIW, when Portland joins MLS in 2011, they will be kicking out the baseball team and converting PGE to a full soccer stadium. Cool developments there.

EDIT: They just showed a lot of people looking in from outside. They should let them all in and stand on the non-seated side.

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the english language spanish language station (I wish I were kidding, it's called "mun-dos") the US-Mexico qualifier starts in ten minutes. Mexico pretty much needs to win to cement their place in the World Cup, and the US needs to win if it wants to be a seeded team (top eight, means an easier group).

We have NEVER won at the Azteca. It seats 100,000 and is in Mexico City, which means high altitude and lots of smog. Last time we played there, it was Easter Sunday in 2005 and the crowd chanted "Osama" and "9/11" all game.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm finding myself a bar to watch the game at here in Tampa.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What used to be the 3rd qualifying round, the "Champions League Playoffs" start today. There's ten home and away series where the winners go the the CL group stage and the loser plays in the "Europa League" (the old UEFA Cup).

What's interesting is that they didn't have a straight draw to select the teams. In order to get the most countries involved, they have a path for champions from leagues that don't have an automatic spot and a path for those teams who qualified, but didn't win their league.

This resulted in the two most famous teams in the round: Arsenal and Celtic to be drawn together. Fox Soccer is showing the first leg on delay at 5:00 today. Good stuff.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you Chow, you just changed my post-work plans from working out to drinking at the Irish pub.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nm, I miss read something.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, no feed for the West Ham - Millwall match in the Carling Cup today. Not an interesting game in that they are two leagues apart, but 90% of the English hooligan movies have West Ham the good guys and Millwall the bad guys. Smile

chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Did I call it or what:

Violence erupts at London derby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Silliness and Forum Fun All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: