The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index The Blue Elephant Brigade
Games, Anime, Movies, Life

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random Soccer Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Silliness and Forum Fun
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

International soccer rankings based on... <gasp>... numbers and facts. http://espn.go.com/soccer/spi/rankings

As opposed to FIFA's system of picking names and numbers out of a hat (or whatever other random nonsense generator they use).

The algorithm used for the rankings was created by the same person who runs www.fivethirtyeight.com. The highly accurate electoral prediction site.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
"Raccoons oscillate at 50Hz in Europe." - FAWBOTS
"I'm not sure I'm up for orgy scrabble parties" - Female Friend
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still selective on the micro scale, but I like it. I also like Italy's rank. Smile

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome.

"Don't like the anime so much....but this just looks....well....."holy shit awesome." Crush exhibiting his superb observational skills referring to this movie
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! That is awesome.
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. - Albert Einstein
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drew England!!!

midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a REALLY easy first round. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse We seem to play down/up to our competition a lot.

Donovan stated in an interview yesterday that there is still a chance the team will be 100% health wise when the Cup starts.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drawing England is huge for me. I want to shut up all the Brits I watch EPL with. It was fun watching them get beat by Portugal.

midget
Brigadier Veteran
Brigadier Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you love Wayne Rooney and the hooligans!
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midget wrote:
You know you love Wayne Rooney and the hooligans!

When he plays for Manchester, I like him. When he plays for England, he's a scouse cunt.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched Everton beat Man U.

Oh, and I'm going to watch the USA play El Salvador this Wednesday!
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and they just announced on ESPN that Davies is a month out from being back in practices!
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Oh, and they just announced on ESPN that Davies is a month out from being back in practices!

I saw that. Very pleased about the New Englander coming back.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA won! Woohoo!
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the USA kick some Netherlands butt!

edit: Wow, there are a ton of big games today. Oh, and damn it, what a stupid fucking foul to draw. Giving a team like the Netherlands an easy penalty kick is definitely one way to lose the game.

edit 2:

Damn, fun game to watch all in all, even though the US lost. Looked pretty rough for a while in the 2nd half but the late US goal seemed to wake them up a bit and there were probably 4 or 5 opportunities to tie it up in the last 6 minutes or so of play.

That being said, the US's core team against the Netherlands core team didn't look very good at all. Definitely need much better play if we are to get anywhere in the World Cup, 99 days from now.
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I need to find a bar that has Fox Soccer Channel for tomorrow night: http://volokh.com/2010/03/30/soccerphiles-soccerphobes-lay-down-your-arms/
Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for USA soccer fans: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9F6VLU00.htm
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Great news for USA soccer fans: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9F6VLU00.htm

SUM held the rights in 2002 and 2006 and made a fortune. SUM is the marketing offshoot of MLS formed around 2001ish when the league was down to three owners and they needed to figure out a way for their huge losses to create some sort of ROI. They (AEG and the Hunts, Bob Kraft was involved in SUM, but had a very small share) decided to basically take over all big time soccer games played in this country (international teams/club friendlies). They bought the 2002 and 2006 World Cup rights for basically nothing. After the Champions World Series failed in 2004, they pretty much had their wish. They also hold the marketing rights to any Mexican team (national and club) that play in this country.

MLS as a league doesn't make a profit. However, SUM does. There may not be an MLS without it.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any matches happening this weekend that we need to make it to a bar for? If beer and breakfast is involved that's even better.
chowda
Brigadier Commando
Brigadier Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trassin wrote:
Any matches happening this weekend that we need to make it to a bar for? If beer and breakfast is involved that's even better.

Yup, US-Turkey in Phily on Saturday. 11 am Seattle time on ESPN2.

Here's the US World Cup roster, BTW:

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan.

Defenders: Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Jay DeMerit, Jonathan Spector, Steve Cherundolo, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein.

Midfielders: Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Stuart Holden, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Torres, DaMarcus Beasley.

Midfielder-forwards: Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan.
Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley.

Trassin
Brigadier Legate
Brigadier Legate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days away! The local Irish pub is having drink specials all day long, including free beer every time the fucking frogs get scored on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Blue Elephant Brigade Forum Index -> Silliness and Forum Fun All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: